Help

Career Decisions

Crippling anxiety

>

sblief

Crippling anxiety
Old 07-08-2016, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Did anyone else have really bad anxiety about starting teaching? I haven't even been hired yet and still have a month of summer left, and I am having the worst anxiety attacks. During the day I can manage it, but at night for some reason I start shaking, crying, and vomiting. I feel like teaching is going to be too stressful and overwhelming, and I will hate it.

Did anyone else go though this? Should I try to work in a different field? I'm not sure what to do.

sblief is offline   Reply With Quote

singingsara

I did!
Old 07-10-2016, 06:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I also had horrible anxiety, not only while preparing to start my first FT teaching job but also during student teaching and for the first couple of years of my teaching career. It was by far the worst during the first year, though.

I would give it some time. Honestly, it takes at least a year to settle in and feel like you're getting the hang of it, and I don't think you'll really know whether the anxiety is something that could be managed or indicative of a fundamental incompatibility with the teaching profession. For me, it was a bit of both. I'll be honest and tell you that I did leave classroom teaching after five years, and I now have a career that I feel is a much better fit, but I still have work-related anxiety because it's just part of my personality. It didn't completely go away because of my career change, and I had to learn how to manage it or else it would have followed me no matter what I did for a living. I take medication for adult ADHD that also helps my depression and anxiety, and maybe my first couple years of teaching wouldn't have been so anxiety-ridden had I been taking the medication then, too.

But I think if you don't at least give it some time, you'll always wonder. Other than the fears about teaching being stressful (which it definitely will be, especially in the first year or two) and overwhelming (which it may sometimes be, but hopefully not all the time and the overwhelming times will be outweighed by the rewards), do you enjoy teaching? Do you enjoy the subject(s) that you teach? Is the fear of stress the biggest factor holding you back, or are there other major concerns?
singingsara is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-10-2016, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Are you, or have you seen a counselor for strategies to use in dealing with anxiety? Is this something that has occurred in the past? Have you always had difficulty dealing with the unknown or new things?

I think that without knowing more about you, it is hard to give you a definite answer or advice. But, if I was having issues that I could call crippling anxiety, I would listen to my body and look for something different. I have been nervous and maybe even scared when approaching new life events, but not to that point. But I don't know if I would be courageous enough to look for a job that completely terrified me.

There are many jobs that an education degree can help you with doing. Why not explore all your options? It sounds like you might have just graduated, so go see your college office and see what other types of jobs you could look into getting.

Goodluck with whatever you do.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

sblief

Thank you
Old 07-10-2016, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've honestly never experienced this before. I've always had a difficult time with going back to school when I was in school, but I've never had a problem starting a new job. I didn't even have a problem when I first started subbing! (background: I graduated in 2015 and subbed for a year)

Now I did accept a teaching job last year, but a few days later, I found out the job was not what I had agreed to or wanted. I did start having anxiety like I am now ( not eating, sleeping, getting sick, etc.) but I hadn't signed a contract yet and school hadn't started so I backed out.

I think I just keep hearing and seeing how awful teaching can be and I feel like I don't even want to take the chance of being a teacher and maybe being miserable. I know that this can happen with any job, but any other job I could quit at anytime and find another one in the same field. I can't do that with teaching.

I have been looking into other jobs outside of teaching, but can't seem to find anything that I am qualified for. I might try going back to my college career center for help.

cfeyche

I Am You
Old 02-08-2017, 01:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hey! First year teacher here, I am going through LITERALLY THE EXACT SAME THING THAT YOU ARE. No kidding. My first half to the school year was REALLY HARD. I was having anxiety that was impacting my entire life. I wasn't sleeping, I wasn't eating, & I was crying a lot because I felt that I was totally incompetent and I felt like such a disappointment to everyone around me. I have recently started counseling (about a month and a half ago) and it has done wonders for me. However, I am starting to worry that I have damaged my reputation enough that my principal is going to terminate me at the end of the year. What I have learned throughout this whole year is that first year is hard! There is so much to learn and not enough time to learn it all at once; everyday is a baptism by fire. But, have faith that it will eventually start to sink in. It's February and I now feel like I am starting to get the hang of my job. And it only gets better! I hope this helps, keep your chin up. I feel your pain

cfeyche is offline   Reply With Quote

sblief

It definitely does!!
Old 03-28-2017, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks to everyone who answered my question!

It definitely has gotten much better! I feel at home at my school and love my job!! It did take a little time, but I couldn't imagine having a different job now.