Career Decisions

leaving education?

>

readerforlif

readerforlif

leaving education?
Old 06-07-2016, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am not sure what help I am looking for from this post, maybe just it's ok, or go for it, or not.

Some back story...
When I first graduated from college, I worked in a nonprofit, left the career to teach. I enjoy teaching, and have been told I am a good teacher.

I am in my late thirties, just earned my masters (so 35000 in debt) and single. I know this sounds crazy, but I hadn't really investigated the earning potential of teachers, even at the end of their 20 year career. After doing lots of research, I have sadly discovered that my earning potential will probably cap out at 60000 to 65000. I know this is not a bad salary, but I am single and have to think of saving for my retirement and I want to purchase a home.

So here is my issue... I have looked into becoming a CPA. It will take me about a year, possibly two, depending on which school I go to to earn my Masters in accounting. I have discovered the median income for a CPA in my area is about 63000, with five years experience.

I just don't know what to do. I am conflicted, and probably scared too.

Does anyone know where most teachers who leave the field go to?

Have you had similar thoughts about leaving? If so , what did you decide and how did you make that decision?

Thank you for allowing me to share!

K12ESLteacher

Don't fret!
Old 06-08-2016, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well, all I can say is if you are not scared of relocating (especially when you are single, so you have no spouse or kids to worry about), you can travel to states that pay really high to teachers with many years of experience. I am from NYC and know for the fact that teachers who have 5 years of experience earn about $75000 per year. Those who have been teaching for 20+ years are making almost $120000! I have been in the field for 3 years (5, if I count subbing) and my salary is good! However, I am leaving teaching for reasons that are not relevant to the post. If you do want to leave teaching, there are plenty of jobs you can do well at and earning lots of money even with your education degrees. If you want to go back to school and love helping people (you are helping little people learn!) and science you may want to consider a profession in the health care system like a CNA (certified nurse assistant), or a nurse! I heard that a nurse with no experience and only a BSN earn on average $65000 per year. Some colleges offer accelerated BSN programs in nursing that will take you only 18 months to complete! I hope it helps!
K12ESLteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

BritishPanda

Old 06-08-2016, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In all honesty, I would seriously think hard about going back to school. If you really want to go back to school, then do it. Other wise, I'd look at what transferable skills you do have and seeing what careers use those skills. A degree isn't a guarantee anymore for people getting a job and going back to school means getting even more debt which you already have.

I had the same thoughts you had about leaving teaching when I made the decision to leave teaching. Around where I live, subbing is very competitive so it is hard getting a chance to sub. On top of that, more and more districts around here are hiring less and less teachers. I'd love to stay in teaching, but I have to think about paying off my student loan debt and just can't wait around anymore for a chance to each. I graduated in 2010 and have been looking for teaching jobs since I finished my masters. Last year I decided to start looking into other careers. While I was looking into other career options, I discovered the book What Color is Your Parachute? online. That book changed my life and helped me figure out what careers best match the skills, knowledge, and needs I have. If you are uncertain about what you should do, definitely check out this book.

As for teachers who leave the field, there are plenty of people here who have done. I've read lots of posts from people who left teaching and are happy in many other careers. As for me, I discovered programming last year and fell in love with it. Today I'm a web developer and designer looking for clients. Although I am looking for clients, I love what I do and more importantly the community I am in. If you want any inspiration, you need to check out Jeremy Schifeling's website Break Into Tech (http://www.breakinto.tech/). I just discovered this website yesterday and he is my biggest inspiration. Jeremy was a kindergarten teacher before he left teaching and he ended up working for big companies like Apple and LinkedIn. His website has great resources for getting into tech if you are interested in that. If you would like more insight about being in tech and coding, send me a message and I'll share more insight with you as well as let you know for more resources.
BritishPanda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

income is...
Old 06-09-2016, 03:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What you get paid is relative to the area. The $70-$120K NYC teaching money is not the same as $120K small town Mississippi money. You are not living in NYC on $120K, unless you are sharing a one bedroom with 4 people. You live outside the city, and that is it's own basket of hassles.

Where I live, principals with a PhD top out at $120K. Teachers around $80K, and if you factor in coaching a high profile sport, that can on a little more. The median income is $110K. Most of the teachers who work that district are not single income earners. There is a housing boom and the prices are (starting) $300K. You are not buying into that on a teacher's salary.

I'd say really find out what are the draw backs to being a CPA. I've heard less CPAs crab how they hate their job, compared to teachers.

I'm leaving the end of this school year. One of the lucky ones, because I'm already working a second job that will turn into my main income once I quit teaching.

You'll never make true money teaching. Your income is at the mercy of what taxes will be raised or how big a check a parent is willing to cut. People loath to pay for anything child care/related.

People will chuck out a ton of money to a CPA, and not think twice. Switch that to child care, private school tuition or voting on a school bond, it is a whole different store.

Health care has it's own pile of nonsense. In hassle, nursing is a lateral move. Though you have more options to free lance.

At least as a CPA, you can hustle for yourself. It's all what risk are you willing to take vs the pay off.
Tawaki is offline   Reply With Quote

cominback

Tawaki, would you share
Old 06-13-2016, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What field you are going into? I'm looking for options. Thanks!

cominback is offline   Reply With Quote

ThankaTchr

readerforlif NEVER get into teaching for $
Old 06-24-2016, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

HA-HA b/c it will never be enough! You know you enjoy it b/c it is something intrinsic. Sit in with a CPA and find out what it's really like. Interview a CPA and find out if there are any 'hidden' expectations. That is probably why people are leaving teaching. Plus expectations change and become more and more! At least you can leave a CPA job when you go home at night I have only taught for about 12-13 years in this district and have looked at other teaching -ype careers. I TOTALLY agree with transferable skills as a PP mentioned already. Look around and even check out that book about the parachute ~ I may too. Best of luck!
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

ThankaTchr

readerforlif never get in to teaching for $
Old 06-24-2016, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Ha-Ha b/c it will never be enough! Sit in with a CPA and find out what it's like. Interview them and see if there are any hidden expectations! That is probably why people are leaving teaching. Expectations can change and do change constantly! At least with a CPA job you can go home at 5 and leave work at work. There are a lot of teaching-type jobs available and I TOTALLY agree with a PP with transferable skills. Even look up that parachute book ~ I may too.
ThankaTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

TheFlyingPen

Money Isn't Everything!
Old 07-02-2016, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It may be a cliché, but it's true.

Your post sounds like your salary is driving your decisions. Stop that now.

Teaching gives you benefits- they are worth A LOT.

Teaching gives you your summers off... to make MORE money... if you want.

Teaching is rewarding... Teaching is a set job expectation.

Teaching is a nine month assignment that starts over again.

Teaching is a retirement plan and tenure.

Do you LIKE teaching? If so, stay with it, no matter what the salary.

You sound very anxious over money... why is that? Maybe you should do more work on yourself and how to find happiness... instead of thinking about the digits of your paycheck.

-TFP
TheFlyingPen is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 07-14-2016, 03:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I also am needing a higher salary as a single widowed mom....not sure what I'm going to do...I've thought of HR, dispatching, principal....

People who say money isn't a concern: it does become one when you end up struggling to survive off a teacher salary as a single mom.....
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote