Help

BusyBoard

Birthdays on your team

>

momteachsis

Birthdays on your team
Old 10-14-2020, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is more lounge than work related. Editors feel free to move if not in the correct place.

My team is a large Sped team that includes paras and teachers and itinerant staff totaling about 20 of us. None of us have planning or lunches together. Some of us don't really care about our birthdays while others celebrate all month long.
Any ideas for celebrating birthdays so that everyone feels valued without having to spend a fortune on gifts?

momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

During COVID
Old 10-14-2020, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

maybe it's best to circulate a nice card so everyone can write a little message of happiness. I know we all miss the &*%$ cake, but those times will return. Someday.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-14-2020, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

A team of 20 would be quite difficult! We don't have anywhere near that on my sped team. We have a weekly team meeting and we used to do it where the birthday person could pick a place to order lunch from during that meeting (otherwise, we don't all have the same lunch time either). Others covered the cost of the birthday person's lunch.

That's sort of fallen by the wayside because the person who was really into making sure we celebrated all of the birthdays no longer works at my school, and while my current P has never said anything, she's pretty serious so we kind of worried she wasn't too pleased with "pulling focus" from team meeting. I will say, when I first started working at my current school I was new to the area and didn't really have friends yet, and I also live in a different state than family. It was really nice to have my birthday acknowledged at school since I wasn't really doing anything else for it.

Perhaps you could exchange names and have one person responsible for bringing a treat (and possibly also a card/having everyone else sign) for someone else's birthday? That way everyone would be celebrated, but you would only have to bring 1 treat for the team per year, and you don't have to spend any money on gifts. At one point, we switched names and that person was responsible for bringing a dessert to go with your birthday lunch. Not like a secret thing, just a way to split it up evenly. We'd put it on our sped calendar so people didn't forget- i.e. "Mary's birthday- Katie in charge."
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote