Help

BusyBoard

Fundations and word families

>

dusty

Fundations and word families
Old 10-15-2020, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am new to fundations and new to second grade from first grade. When i taught first grade we would first tap each sound in a word, such as c/l/a/p for the word "clap" to then only having to tap two sounds by noticing the vowel chunks/word families, and blends or digraphs such as cl/ap = clap. So when teaching decoding strategies to my first graders I would sometimes say to look for parts you know, such as blend, digraph, or vowel chunk/word family but my second graders don't seem to be familiar with that. Does fundations not want students to progress from tapping each sound c/l/a/p/ to only tapping cl/ap? I always taught them to progress from 1. tapping each and every sound, (c/l/a/p) 2. put parts together to tap cl/ap, 3. read the word automatically without needing to tap at all. Yes I know the blend "cl" has two individual sounds but since we blend the two sounds close together I usually encouraged my first graders to tap the two sounds together.
Thanks, I just want to make sure I am teaching them the way I'm am supposed to so that I don't confuse them.

dusty is offline   Reply With Quote