Help

BusyBoard

Reopening K-5 teachers

>

tryingtoteach

Reopening K-5 teachers
Old 10-19-2020, 09:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I would like to hear how your sites look.

I'm currently virtual.

So far we are being told that when we go back there will be no manipulatives of any kind. Kids can't use classroom library. No rugs. Nothing on walls (including anchor charts). No kidney tables or circle tables allowed either. Kids are not allowed to bring their devices to school either.

I'm really wondering how I'm going to teach.

tryingtoteach is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

My District
Old 10-20-2020, 03:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

All students in my district (4K-12th) are in school face-to-face. All staff and students must wear masks all day except when eating or at recess.

Classrooms must have seating charts. Charts were turned in at the beginning of the school year. If table spots are switched, the chart must be revised and sent to the office.

At elementary, all classrooms have several plexiglass stands to use when working with small groups. These stands are put on a tabletop to separate children.

My district uses Bridges for math. The district bought kits for each child so they are not sharing manipulatives. Each student has their own box. K-1 each has their own I-pad, and 2nd to 4th have their own Chromebook.

All classrooms have carpeting. Instead of all the students sitting on the carpet, half are on the carpet and those behind them sit at their table spots.

All students at elementary are cohorted. That means they are very, very, very self contained. We have four of each grade level in my building, 5K to 4th. There are five half day 4K classes too. Students in third grade classroom #1 do not play or learn with kids in third grade classroom #2 and so on. Classrooms do not switch students during any time on a school day. Even classroom restroom breaks are single classes only.

The playground is divided into four sections, and each class at that grade level class must stay in that section. The sections are rotated each day so over the course of a week, students move each day to the next section. Third grade classroom #1 does not play with students in third grade classroom #2.

Students are socially distanced in the lunch room, so third grade classroom #1 never sits with third grade classroom #2.

We have a large common area for each grade level...about half the size of a gym. All classroom libraries are stored in this area. Books are on shelves in baskets. Students shop for books once each week. When returning books, students place them in baskets on top of the bookshelves and either a teacher or another student puts them back in the correct basket.

A lot of thought and hard word was put into planning to begin the school year face-to-face in my district.

Last edited by ConnieWI; 10-20-2020 at 09:46 AM..
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 10-20-2020, 03:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We're still virtual right now, but the plan for when we go back is
-desks all 6 feet apart
-specials teachers come into the home classroom
-lunch in the classroom
-no carpets, rugs, classroom libraries, group centers, etc.
-No small groups (we'd be too close)
-Half the students come at a time (different days)

Honestly, I think for K I'm beginning to think virtual is a MUCH better option, and not just for safety reasons. I can send them on breaks where they can move around from just one spot!
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Reopening
Old 10-20-2020, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have been reopened for the beginning. Here are just some random things about it.

*Based on numbers, space, and staffing, grade levels were additional sections and/or extra rooms. In a normal size room, there are only 12-15 kids as opposed to 24-25. Groups that weren't split up are in a bigger space (library, lunch room, etc.).

*All desks in every room are 6 ft. apart.

*Students are not allowed to gather on the carpet

*No singing

*Masks worn at all times (state mandate)

*Lunch is in the classroom, as are all specials but gym. Gym is outside unless the weather is bad. Then it's in the gym.

*No gaga ball at recess

*Lots of disinfecting. Someone was hired to help the custodian just clean high touch surfaces all day like railings, door knobs, etc. This person literally starts on one floor and wipes down all the door handles and railings throughout the whole school, then starts back at the beginning, all day long. I'd say the high touch surfaces are being cleaned at least 5 times a day.

*Soap/hand sanitizer dispensers are in every classroom and students use them when entering and leaving the room, plus any other times they feel the need.

*No sharing of supplies

*Teachers handle all papers, you can't do a take and pass thing

*We have an electrostatic machine that cleans each day. Because of the electrostatic machine, nothing can be left on desks, etc. If it is, the desk won't get sprayed. We've been encouraged to laminate work we hang up because the colors start to bleed.

*It is up to us if we want to use the classroom library and how we use it. The school librarian brings books to the kids, but they can't be taken home.

*There are several different lunch waves, so only a few teachers are eating at a time. We now eat a different place instead of the lounge, so we can still connect but be socially distanced while doing so.

I'm sure there are a lot of others, too that have slipped my mind.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-20-2020, 04:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

What could the reason for nothing on the walls possibly be?? That makes no sense.

We have been fully in person since the beginning. My district offered a virtual option, and about 1/3 of our students chose that, which we were all shocked with. This made class sizes somewhat smaller than normal, but not too much because they also pulled teachers for the e-learning school.

Here are the things that are different than "normal":

Our students and staff wear masks at all times except for lunch/recess. This includes all ages and students with disabilities. Shields are not an acceptable replacement. There is plexiglass in the cafeteria since students are eating unmasked. Unlike other places, we are still doing lunch in the cafeteria and regular recess.

Desks are placed 3 feet apart in the classroom. Students are supposed to stay 3 feet apart from each other, and teachers 6 feet apart from each other and students. In practice, I would say this happens only sometimes. I teach small groups and am obviously used to sitting at a small group table with my students. This year, I placed two small group tables 6+ feet from the front of the room, and put a little table at the front for me to sit at. I do often have to get up and get closer to students- just the nature of the job. But if it's something I can do from farther away, I do it.

Students don't share supplies. They each have their own basket that they keep at their desk. I have a bin for each student in my room. When they come in, they wash their hands and grab their bin to take to their seat.

Classrooms are cleaned while students are at lunch/recess and then obviously at the end of the day. For my room, I have to disinfect my tables between every group since I don't have the same students all day. Same for specials.

Students are washing their hands constantly, like at least 6+ times a day.

Students are in 4 cohorts- K, 1st-2nd, 3rd-4th, 5th-6th. Each cohort has 1 specials teacher and students go to that same special every day. They switch the specials teachers around at the end of each quarter so that by the end of the year, everyone's had all of the specials. Specials is still happening in specials classrooms.

We check in students at the door every morning; we take temps and ask screening questions.

The kids have adapted really well to all of the new regulations. I think they were just really happy to be back, honestly. We've had extremely few actual cases in school, and this is also true of all of the other districts in the area. When cases have happened, others in the cohort have not gotten sick from that person. However, overall numbers in my area are horrible right now. Not nearly as bad as some other places have been, but far worse than we've ever been in this state. Due to the community spread my district is considering going to remote "for 2 weeks." I'm glad I'm not the one making the decisions. On the one hand, county numbers indicate we should be remote. On the other hand, it's really not spreading in schools like we thought it would, so it's hard to justify closing.

We're supposed to hear a decision by the end of this week. Some other area districts are only having secondary go virtual and are planning to have elementary continue.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 10-20-2020, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Parents are being told 10-13 kids per classroom and social distancing. Not true. We are crammed into our rooms with full classes. There is no such thing as distancing going on.
No sharing. I have boxes of mamipulatives and supplies in each students desk. I have three books for each childs desk.
Its really depressing. We have students getting covid already but we are still in school.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Electrostatic Sprayer?
Old 10-20-2020, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
What could the reason for nothing on the walls possibly be?? That makes no sense.
I wonder if the reason is because of the electrostatic machine. We were told it could bend/crinkle paper/posters and that paper might bleed. We were told to laminate things to prevent this. However, I still don't understand why that would be a mandate, either. I feel like teachers should decide.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Similar to many others
Old 10-23-2020, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We have been f2f since August. Parents could choose virtual & some did at every grade level. Teachers do f2f & virtual at the same time. (Don't get me started on that!)

We are in class cohorts, no mingling of cohorts at school. But that doesn't stop people from mingling outside of school.

Desks are 3 feet apart. Kids are supposed to stay 3 feet apart but it's hard for the little ones to do so.

Masks on everyone, all day, except snack & lunch (even recess). When unmasked & eating, kids need to be 6 feet apart. Since all kids can't spread 6 feet apart in the classroom, 1/2 class eats in room, other half in cafe so teachers lose that 'duty-free' time.

No soft surface stuff in classrooms, like stuffed animals, cute carpets, little couches, etc.

No sharing supplies such as crayons & pencils, manipulatives, etc.

I gave each student a bag of manipulatives for their own use.

Things that are shared (books, ipads, etc) need to be cleaned after each use.

I stored all toys & puzzles, etc that I felt could not be cleaned easily.

The rest of the toys, I bagged in individual ziplocs so kids can "grab & go". They play with their own bag at their own desk. Used toys are then cleaned before the next student uses them. We are trying to rotate more toys in, as the ones we have might be getting a little boring!

Kids do have most specials but not Library, yet. (Not really sure why on this.) Gym is mostly outside. As the weather gets colder, we'll see what happens with that. Music teacher had school pay for (cheap) individual instruments for younger students since they can't sing or share the bigger instruments. Stem is using ipads. Art cannot share any supplies. Some specials teachers come into classroom & others still use their classroom with cleaning measures between each class.

Grade levels come in at different doors. Teachers meet kids outside to ask wellness questions, give hand sanitizer and take temperature before entering.

There are designated ways to walk in the halls.

Water fountains may only be used to fill water bottles, not drink from. Students must sanitize before touching the fountain and each fountain must be wiped off after kids use it.

Playground is split into different areas & classes rotate into a new area each day. Each class has their own playground equipment that needs to be sanitized after each use.

We sanitize hands throughout the day.

If using tables, only 2, possibly 3 kids at a table. My grade level partner & I switched to desks, otherwise we would have needed 10 tables!

We have been doing pretty well, although it is a lot of work. Parents are very appreciative.

One class had to quarantine because a student was positive but asymptomatic. No one else got it.

Some positive cases that have come up since that time are because of outside activities, not school. There has been no school spread of covid whatsoever.
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote