Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Cat's Dental Issues!!

>

Clarity

Cat's Dental Issues!!
Old 10-24-2020, 07:41 AM

I took my cat to the vet for his rabies and other shots, etc. Vet said he is missing a lot of teeth (I had no clue) and that some are just broken off with sharp edges, some roots seem to have been reabsorbed, and his whole jaw is inflamed.

She thinks he should have ALL of his teeth removed. I have had cats all my life and never heard of this. Plus, I had no indication that he was in pain or did not feel well. Never knew he was missing teeth or had any issues like that.

I feel TERRIBLE for not noticing, but then, who looks inside a cat's mouth? Just when I thought 2020 could NOT get any worse. Jeez Louise. Not to mention a $500-$1,000 estimate.

Anyone ever deal with this?

Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

word girl

Old 10-24-2020, 07:47 AM

I have no advice, but I can empathize. I am trying to decide about doing a dental cleaning for my cat, and the estimate was for 700-1200 just for a cleaning and possible extractions!

I too had no idea. My cat eats fine and he prefers dry food. He is older, was a stray, and is FIV+ which supposedly contributes to bad teeth. The only thing I ever noticed is that he has bad breath.

I think I will get a second opinion.
word girl is offline   Reply With Quote

CricketSong

Old 10-24-2020, 08:00 AM

This happened with our cat as well. He seemed normal for him. But when he had his extractions, he turned into a very social cat. I thought he was mellowing with age. He had not mellowed at all, he was just tired from hurting. So I didn’t notice the difference until after all the extractions.

They eat vet well with hurting teeth, which I didn’t know, especially hard food. They are able to suck up the tiny morsels and swallow them.
CricketSong is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 10-24-2020, 08:33 AM

Having volunteered at a shelter that has “forever” (unadoptable) cats, we have had this happen to a number of the older cats. Some were so much more social after extractions because they were no longer in pain. I have no idea of the cost, though, but your vet’s fees seem about what we would pay ours. As for eating—- the shelter cats did fine with both dry and wet food after healing.

Our three cats have some teeth issues and we didn’t realize it until a vet visit. We too, felt awful for not noticing, but like you said— who looks in their cat’s mouth? Ours are very tight lipped
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

LoveMyNature

Cat
Old 10-24-2020, 09:23 AM

Our cat had 5 teeth pulled. We had no idea because we hadnt taken him to the vet in 3 years. He had started throwing up his food all the time. Now we know he was in a lot of pain.

He’s a different cat now, so much happier (and less vomit!)

LoveMyNature is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 10-24-2020, 10:46 AM

$500-1000 for full mouth extraction sounds on the low end of reasonable. Our current vet is very inexpensive compared to other local vets, and it was $550 for a cleaning that included three extractions.

Cats hide pain very, very well, and I bet you see a positive personality change after. Wet food is healthier than kibble anyway, so having to switch if you don’t feed canned already will be better in the long run.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

Clarity

I really have not noticed any negative
Old 10-24-2020, 10:53 AM

personality traits. I rescued him from my brother's farm, where he had been dropped off about a year before I moved out here. It took him a while to become "unferal," but he has always been very interactive, loves to play chasing feathers on a string, and just recently seemed to become more vocal. For the first year or so, he barely made a sound.

He always eats canned food, but also seems to love his dry food and treats. I have had him three years and he has just recently begun to climb on my lap for extended periods, but he has always let me pick him up and pet him (though his belly was off limits until about a year ago). He spends most of his time outside. It will be interesting to see how this works out.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-24-2020, 11:22 AM

I would jump on that price! I was quoted $500 to remove ONE tooth for my cat, and that didn't include any cleaning either. What you're talking about is at least $2000+ around here- I know because I'm in several FB cat groups (yes, I am a proud crazy cat lady ) and "does this vet price sound right" is a common topic of discussion.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 10-24-2020, 12:25 PM

I’m not saying that he has negative traits now, just that you’ll probably see a positive change that you didn’t necessarily notice was “missing.”
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 10-24-2020, 12:55 PM

I *wish* it only cost $500!! My cat goes in next month and the estimate is over $1000. My other cat had extractions last spring. She had an ulcer on her mouth from the teeth scraping her gums. The only sign that anything was wrong is she would meow in a very complain-y way if I tried to move her from the couch. I thought she was just getting grumpy in her old age.

Just like everyone says, after the extractions, she was so happy. I was surprised to find her running around and playing -- she had stopped doing that. I felt so bad that it took me so long to notice. It's a lot of money, but it's worth it if it stops their pain.

Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote