Help

BusyBoard

Distance Learning or Remote Learning

>

arsabl

Distance Learning or Remote Learning
Old 10-16-2020, 04:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We are going back face to face as a hybrid model in a few weeks. We are being told we wonít be doing Distance Learning anymore, but Remote Learning. So we will be teaching half the class face to face and half the class will be at home joining our on campus lessons. Both groups will be the teachers responsibility all day long...full regular schedule. Well...those at home will have grown ups monitor them during recess and lunch breaks.

I do not see a difference in these two types of learningó-Distance and Remote. Even Google says they are basically the same.

Am I missing something? Can anyone explain the difference so I can understand?

This is going to be cruel punishment for both teacher and student.

arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 10-16-2020, 09:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

They are the same. My district is still full remote. A few friends teach in different districts and they moved to hybrid the past few weeks. They said itís worse doing hybrid. The district has them teaching from their computer at their desk to the kids home and in front of them. Why bother going back? I know itís impossible to have a teacher for every grade doing remote, but Iím not looking forward to the hybrid classes.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Christi508

We call it Hybrid.
Old 10-16-2020, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It is the worst. We have been doing it since August. Torture...plus I teach ESE so I have two different grade levels online and in the classroom. Exhausting.
Christi508 is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 10-16-2020, 10:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If I have this right... Distance and remote are the same. Livestreaming is when you are working at the same time with the kids in class and the kids at home.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-16-2020, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think it's just semantics, but it sounds to be your district is trying to drive home the idea that the teaching will be synchronous. In their minds, "distance learning" might be where you put up videos for them to watch and students work through assignments on their own, while "remote learning" means students are doing everything they would in class, in real time, just from home on zoom or whatever platform you're using.

We are currently full time in person, but there have been several quarantines where the class(es) had to switch to remote learning for a period of time. Last year almost everything was asynchronous, this year the district is wanting almost everything to be synchronous. Students spend between 3.5-5 hours (depending on age, more for the older kids) on zoom getting "live" instruction daily.

In my district, we were told to quit calling it "online learning" and that "remote learning" was the correct term. Again, semantics. Everything "remote" is basically online.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Old 10-17-2020, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Interesting.......our union said 'no way' to us teaching students live and online at the same time. We will have half of our class attend Monday and Tuesday and the other half Thursday and Friday. Wednesday will be Remote Learning for all. We have to give two days of work to the students who are not in school. What you are having to do sounds like a horrendous amount of work, no matter what you call it!
2teach2 is online now   Reply With Quote

mrsf70

Old 10-18-2020, 02:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Hybrid in my district means you have f2f and virtual learners at the same time. It's been a complete nightmare. We are not required to livestream, but we have to make our own daily videos for instruction and post them for virutal learners. Then we take attendance and field questions all day long from both sets of students. We also deal with students being quarantined for two weeks at a time due to Covid exposure, so there is a constant shift of students from one format to the other.
mrsf70 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 10-18-2020, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We call it distance learning for those students who are at home. Again, it is semantics. Our teachers are live all day, teaching both at the same time. It has been a living hell, but is getting better as more and more parents are opting to send their students to brick and mortar. They just had to lock in their choice for the rest of the semester.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote