SPED expectations different during COVID? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

BusyBoard

SPED expectations different during COVID?

>

pinacolada

SPED expectations different during COVID?
Old 10-16-2020, 12:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello. I was a regular ed teacher for about 10 years. I resigned in 2016 after my son was diagnosed with Autism. Right now, he is in a Mild/Moderate SDC TK-K class (SDC is the term used in CA for a full day SPED class). The class has 2 aides and then the SPED teacher.

We started school on August 13 and his teacher still isn't assigning any work based on IEP goals. She also isn't providing small group instruction either.

This is the daily schedule:
1st 30 min zoom session: calendar, weather, go over rule of the week, a song about letter sounds, and if time permits a read aloud.

Then she assigns 3-4 independent work activities which the parents help their child complete and upload onto Google Classroom.

During the last zoom session, she divides the class into groups of 3 (so they are split between the teacher and aides), and the students just go over their COMPLETED work (kind of like a show and tell of what they did).

My questions/concerns are:

Isn't she required by law to provide small group instruction?

Isn't she required by law to provide activities based on IEP goals?

Another concern is that she doesn't really teach. She just assigns these whole class assignments and the parents basically teach them.

For example, this week she assigned a number booklet which has the student write the number using the numeral form, word form, tallies, tens frame, dot pattern, and 2 number sentences.

None of the parents (except for me) knew what a number sentence is and how to teach it. This is just an example of how she never teaches.

I've a little unsure of what to expect since I've been out of the teaching scene. What are my child's rights? Are they different during COVID? I've spoken with the teacher and the principal. Nothing has changed.

pinacolada is offline   Reply With Quote

panther1987

Old 10-16-2020, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am currently a resource special ed teacher and I am teaching IEP goals because that is what is required by law. I do some whole class activities that hit all or most of the IEP goals. She may doing this but she should definitely be teaching and assessing on IEP goals.
panther1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

Amended IEP
Old 10-16-2020, 02:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Hello~~ Is this teacher his case manager?

Did his school have to amend the IEPs to account for the distance learning? Did they change anything? Did they contact you by phone or email to discuss whether you had a device, wifi, time or space for DL? Did you get a new copy of the IEP changes by mail or student backpack?

In MO and many other states, we had to develop distance learning plans for every IEP in our district. There was a new form to complete as well as several places within the IEP where changes had to be made. The new form has two parts--the first part tells the ways we will offer DL, the goals we will focus on (we could reduce the number or breadth if we feel it is necessary or if we feel that goal cannot be addressed during DL,) how we plan to support the student and parent, and how we will assess progress.

The second part is a "living document" that is separate from the IEP--it is left open even after the IEP itself is locked/archived. The second part is a contact log for when and why the school was closed, the method of contact with the student--by phone, Zoom, email, etc., who was reached and a short summary of the conversation.

You might be able to google whether your state requires this. If so, you can contact the teacher separately from the Zoom sessions or lessons. Call or email her and ask to know her plan/conference time. If you prefer to call, I would call then. If not, email her and ask her the plan for your son. She should be able and willing to speak with you about any of this.

If speaking with her fails, then contact the case manager, then SpEd Director or Coordinator for his district. If an amendment was done, you should have been included just as though it was a full meeting.

You could even request copies to see of the latest pieces in his file to see if any changes occurred.

Last edited by whatever; 10-16-2020 at 02:54 PM..
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Iep
Old 10-16-2020, 04:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach a similar class (older students).

I would first let the teacher know you are available to help with 1:1 sessions if she were to offer sessions. Many families are not able to support their students this way, but perhaps the teacher is open to it if you request it?

Equity is also a big word in special ed right now. This may be a way to make instructional opportunities fair to all.

Like PP suggested you may have a remote learning plan. In our district it is supposed to align with the existing IEP goals and state the mode of delivery (remote or hybrid).

So for example if a student has a writing goal with objectives about letter formation, pencil grip, punctuation and dictating a complete thought we would have the remote plan reflect what we can do remotely.

In this example dictating a complete sentence and determining the correct punctuation mark when read/shown a sentence are on the remote plan.

As far as 1:1 instruction, IME it is not required unless it is explicitly stated in his IEP.

Personally I am teaching 1:1 during most of the school day during remote learning because it works for me and my students and what our district wants the school day to look like.

But 1:1 teaching is not required.

You will want to check the minutes stated in the remote plan or IEP.

From what it sounds like your son is getting about 60 minutes of instruction per day or 300 minutes per week. If that does not appear on the remote plan you have the right to call an IEP meeting to discuss it or ask for an explanation.
readandweep is online now   Reply With Quote

teacher0729

Old 10-27-2020, 01:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The only thing required by law is to follow what the IEP says which varies based on each child. Look at the services page of the IEP and see if your child is receiving live instruction OR assignments to do based on his services. I donít think it is expected to do live in some places because internet connection stinks and kids are already on the computer a long time from general Ed classes, and maybe it doesnít fit in the schedule when virtual (usually we group kids together but virtually might not work well). So donít assume the worst that sheís not doing enough- look at his service page on IEP and then maybe ask if she would be able to fit live instruction in her schedule.

teacher0729 is offline   Reply With Quote