Help

BusyBoard

Do you go over assignments - grade?

>

klarabelle

Do you go over assignments - grade?
Old 10-22-2020, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was talking with my aunt who has her 2 grandsons during the day while they are on virtual learning. Her DGS in 5th grade is not a problem, he is gifted and gets through his day without any problems. Her other DGS is a 3rd grader and she stays with him to be sure he is paying attention and doing his work. He doesn't always do his work.

Anyway--last night my aunt told me her 3rd grader does not receive feedback on work done during the school day. She has no idea how DGS is doing. Apparently, the teacher does not go over any work the students do that is not graded. So my question is, aren't you as a teacher suppose to go over all work students are doing so you know how your class is doing and what you may need to reteach? Not necessarily collect and grade, but at least go over the answers with the students.

What are you doing. Thank you for your help.

klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

For e-learning?
Old 10-22-2020, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are you referring for e-learning?

For e-learning, I did check to make sure all assignments were complete. On almost all I left some sort of comment...either a positive acclamation or a suggestion for improvement. There were a few I just marked as completed and talked to the kid if I felt he or she needed more help. For example, for math, I did the assignments on a Google Form. They submitted it to me and I looked over the results. I marked them off as complete and let them know if I got it or not. Then, I looked at the results. If I felt like there were problems that a lot of people missed, I made a video tutorial going over them. If it was something that only a few students struggled with, I contacted them individually. Students also knew to contact me if they were struggling.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Reality check
Old 10-22-2020, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Frankly, there are only 24 hours in the day and even a teacher needs to sleep, eat, take a shower, and go to the bathroom.

And then the teacher has to plan lessons, teach lessons, grade work, confer with students and teachers.

Sometimes, just for survival, a teacher doesn't grades all of the work and give feedback. And proper feedback is lots more time-consuming than putting a grade on a paper.

Is it ideal that every assignment doesn't get feedback? No. Is it reasonable? Yes.

If your aunt is with her grandson, she could definitely help his learning by trying to figure out why he isn't doing some of his work. Is it too hard, too easy? Just too much? Does he need to take a 5 minute breat and run around the outside of the house 3 times?

If the child needs more help than parents, grandmother, and older brother can give, then the parents and/or child should ask the teacher for suggestions and help.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

I'll add...
Old 10-22-2020, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'll add that I agree with the pp that we need to be realistic and reasonable. Yes, it would be nice to give feedback on EVERYTHING, but I agree, there are only so many hours in a day, there's lesson planning, e-mails, meetings, etc. There's a lot to do. In person face to face, hybrid, or online, I think it's normal and perfectly acceptable to not give feedback on EVERYTHING. Granted, I think a teacher should to give feedback on as many assignments that is doable and realistic. If a teacher is giving feedback on NOTHING, I'd have concerns, but if the teacher is giving feedback on a handful of of assignments (maybe 5-10 a week? That's 1-2 stacks a night), that's fine. Obviously if you teach middle school or high school and have over 60 kids or so, even 5 might be a lot. But, I do think the teacher should do his or her best to give feedback on as many things as they can.

klarabelle

I think you misunderstand
Old 10-22-2020, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I know my aunt does help him with problems he is having. His problem is more not wanting to be on line then understanding the work.

I don't expect teachers to mark everything, but I would think 5 minutes to give the answers is not asking for much. Teacher doesn't give any feedback, all my little cousin has is papers on his desk, she doesn't even collect them.

Teacherbee_4

Posting Answers
Old 10-22-2020, 07:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We did online learning, I posted the answers in some way on Google Classroom. I'd do it as a Google Form with the answers given when they are done. It graded it for them and showed them correct answers. I also would sometimes make a video of me correcting it or going over the answers. Or, after the fact, I'd post the answer key and have kids check.

klarabelle

Old 10-22-2020, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thank you all for your answers. It has helped me explain to my aunt. She is very proteacher and was just concerned with not giving any feedback wasn't helping him or his classmates. I thought the teacher should be posting answers for a quick check so the students didn't feel like they were being given busy work. I also wondered how she would know who needed more support.