Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Random thought

>

Teacherbee_4

Random thought
Old 10-25-2020, 07:22 AM

Just a random thought came to me this morning. I am planning to vote in person. What if, say, the day or two before Election Day I find out I have to quarantine? YIKES! I never thought of that! Had I thought of that, I probably would have done an absentee ballot just in case!

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

momteach310

Old 10-25-2020, 07:28 AM

This identical thought occurs to me also. I lose sleep over it - yet I really want to vote in person. I am praying to stay healthy so I can vote in person!
momteach310 is offline   Reply With Quote

hoppalong

Old 10-25-2020, 07:39 AM

Yes, I have that about this as well. In fact, my DH and I were going to visit our DS in college this weekend. He asked us NOT to come because he doesn't want to risk possibly being exposed and subsequently quarantined right before the election. This is the first presidential election in which he'll be voting.
hoppalong is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 10-25-2020, 07:43 AM

Honestly, I understand wanting to vote in person. I always loved that tradition!

But this year I voted absentee. I don't want to risk being in quarantine or being sick and losing my chance to vote. I really would recommend that you vote early, if your state allows it. Go while you are healthy.

My niece is now in quarantine at her college. She had planned to work at the polls on election day and now she can't. It really could happen. Vote early.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 10-25-2020, 08:05 AM

Oh my! I never thought of that happening to voters I have already voted and hope that not many people have that situation become a reality for them.

hopalong- love that your DS is taking his right so seriously!

Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 10-25-2020, 08:14 AM

I really feel the smart choice is to vote early or by mail this year. So many things could happen to prevent you from voting on Election Day.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

km

Never voted in person
Old 10-25-2020, 08:20 AM

I think that is a legitimate concern.

When I started voting, I requested an absentee ballot since I was away at college. The practice then, so long ago, was to keep a voter on absentee status unless requested otherwise by the voter. Then my state moved to mail in voting. It is so convenient and there are rarely any issues. It does feel a bit anticlimactic though.

I hope you all stay healthy!
km is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 10-25-2020, 08:25 AM

Never thought of that.

We did vote in person doing early voting. I just like the feeling of a really going and casting my vote.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

absentee voting
Old 10-25-2020, 08:38 AM

The reason that the governor in CA issued an executive order that all active registered voters were going to receive a mail-in ballot this year was because of COVID. He realized that COVID wasn't just going to disappear like a miracle, and that gatherings of all sorts could cause outbreaks.

Along with the mail-in ballots the state set up many convenient collection areas where people could drop off their ballots.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 10-25-2020, 08:53 AM

If it's still an option to vote early, I would do it. You never know- especially teaching in person, you could be told to quarantine at any moment even if you're following every precaution. I know a lot of places are doing early in person voting. Is that an option where you are?

I too used to enjoy voting in person- it felt more exciting. My state moved to mail in voting many years ago, but if you prefer to go vote in person you can still do that too. I found that voting my mail ballot was just so much better, because there are always tons of issues on the ballot that I may or may not have heard of ahead of time. My ballot was like 4 pages long this year with all of the offices, amendments, and ballot issues!

When I vote at home, if there is something I haven't heard much about, I have time to look up what it is and carefully read pro and con arguments before making my choice. Whereas when I used to vote in person, there were some ballot questions that I just had to skip because I was there in the voting booth and I didn't know about them or couldn't remember enough to make a valid choice.

And we have ballot tracking so I can see that my ballot has already been accepted. The other nice thing is that a couple of years ago they started including the "I voted" stickers in the mail in ballots, so I save mine to wear on election day! If we're still in person and I have somewhere to go on election day, that is .

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 10-25-2020, 08:57 AM

That is exactly why so many were making the argument that voting in person could be unsafe. If the only option for voting is in person with limited early voting options, a whole lot of people who should be quarantining will not, and that puts other voters at risk. Especially as states close polling places and crowds form indoors for hours.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 10-25-2020, 09:30 AM

My governor in Illinois did the same thing as the governor of California and sent applications for mail in ballots to every registered voter for the same reason. I immediately sent mine in to get a mail in ballot, and put my ballot in the county office drop box the day I received it. I personally donít care about voting on the actual day. I would rather not stand in a million year long line with my neck arthritis and try to social distance from a lot of people.

All schools and businesses in my state are off this year for Election Day so I can just put up my feet and watch the show.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 10-25-2020, 10:04 AM

I chose to mail by absentee vote just in case I was still having to stay with my Mom at election time. I voted by absentee ballot all through college (1988-1993), so I was comfortable with the process. It's so much easier to do now than back then.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Luvetc3

Old 10-25-2020, 04:57 PM

Do you have an early voting site nearby? We went today to vote as a family. No worries now. (Except for the outcome of the elections that is)
Luvetc3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

voting
Old 10-26-2020, 02:07 AM

Exactly the reason to have other options. I'm happy we voted absentee. I have a peace of mind that my civic duty is done.
Linda/OH is online now   Reply With Quote