The VENT

Staff child

>

learn

Staff child
Old 10-25-2020, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello PT
Have a staff’s child in my class. The child is sweet and respectful but can be quite sassy at times. However the latest is that the student speaks out loud and states how her mom teaches a lesson better ....
How do I best handle this?

learn is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 10-25-2020, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Well, you said the child was sweet and respectful, but this behavior is neither of those. The child is being very disrespectful and rude to you. This is a teachable moment about the power of words and how they affect others. When she says something like that, tell her that although you agree that her mother is a wonderful teacher, that what she said to you was disrespectful and hurtful.

Have a class discussion about how it is ok to think whatever thoughts you want to, but not every thought needs to be spoken. Words you say have an impact on others, and you need to stop and think about how your words might make another person feel.

Do you have the book called "Have You Filled A Bucket Today"? It would be a good one to bring out and reread.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Co-Worker's child
Old 10-25-2020, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

First, can I just say I feel for you? I have a co-worker's child, too. I hate having co-worker's children. So far mine is working out fine, but it always makes me anxious.

Second, I REALLY REALLY love the advice of the previous poster.
Teacherbee_4 is online now   Reply With Quote

BioBirdie

Good advice
Old 10-25-2020, 01:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Given above, but I would also talk with the child's parent. I teach in a small district that my own kids attend. Coworkers have taught my kids and I've taught several of theirs. I would talk to the parent, who might be flattered their child thinks so highly of them but also being a teacher would understand. I had to call a coworker about their child's behavior just last week. It helped so much. Good luck.
BioBirdie is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 10-25-2020, 02:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I wouldn't do a whole group discussion since this seems to be a one child issue. That's like when the P sends out a whole building email that only applies to 1 or 2 teachers. We all talk about how nuts it makes us.

I'd pull the child aside and explain that just like each like each child in the class has different shoes and shoe sizes, teachers do things differently. I'd also ask why she feels like she has to say something. I'd ask why she feels like she has to make comments and how she'd feel if you said so and so did something better than she did. Make it a teachable moment and move on.

If she continues then it's time to bring the parents in.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 10-25-2020, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Honestly, I'd ignore such a comment. She said it to get a reaction. The best is to give none. IME, even having the group conversation can embolden this type because they see they got you. If she makes such comments again, I would nonchalantly say "If you're here, how would you know?". If she acts out, I would say "Then, let's ask your mother's opinion". IME, her mother might be at the root of it.

eagles23

Old 10-25-2020, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

It sounds to me like she is parroting what she hears at home. Is her mom the type to tell her that she could teach the lesson better than you???
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 10-25-2020, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'd do a private discussion as some have mentioned here and keep it on a positive note. Discretion is an important skill as is learning that while feelings are important,there is a time and place for some feelings to be expressed. I've known my own kids' teachers and always asked the teachers to please treat my kids as any other student. I would definitely address this unkind behavior no matter which kid did it.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

lte's mom

Old 10-25-2020, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I had a staff student in my class who told me I should get a real job like her mom has...her mom is an assistant. I'm not bashing assistants because they are my heroes!
lte's mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Hawkeyegirl1

Ignore it and then address it
Old 10-26-2020, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I think I would ignore this this time, and if it comes up again (or something equally as disrespectful), I would pull the child aside and have a private discussion. I have taught many staff members' kids, and I always felt added pressure, but I tried to handle incidents the same way I would handle them with any other student.

I had a wonderful principal who once said, "Praise in public, criticize in private." (I actually don't think criticize was the word she used, but I can't remember the exact word.)

Hawkeyegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 10-26-2020, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Was it "praise in public, correct in private"? That's what we say around here! It's good advice.
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Hawkeyegirl1

Izzy23...
Old 10-26-2020, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I think that's it! I try to live by her advice.❤
Hawkeyegirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote