Help

Kindergarten

purposeful centers?

>

hikinghiker

purposeful centers?
Old 02-28-2020, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for new purposeful center ideas! I do three types, but in daily 5 style where they chose where to go and can change centers when they want now that we've built up stamina. They do well with this system. Here's what I have:

Writing: which kids love. They can use gel pens, markers, and crayons to write. The rule is that they need to have 2 sentences written before they can draw.

Reading: I have decodables out in every level, AR/level 1-3 readers, and picture books out and other high interest books like big books, science manuals of animals. etc. Plus they also go to the library once a week and pick out books.

Pink bins (which I put in reading and math centers): I need ideas for this one No worksheets. I've done picture addition and subtraction, building magnet words (this one tends to need more redirection), roll and cover dice games, and building words on whiteboards. But I try to do new ones each month and I'm totally out of ideas.

I also want it to be self correcting in a sense. So for example, I don't like most sight word games because if they don't know the sight word then there's nothing they can do like blend it. I'm looking for games or ideas where the students can play or work independently and without printed materials.

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 02-28-2020, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Here's what I generally have in my "may-do" bins:
  • handwriting practice (handwriting worksheets I've collected over the years and put in page protectors)
  • some kind of writing - sticker story, stamp-a-story, write a letter to a friend, blank books
  • games - any game that we have played together goes in the bin - some easy favorites are kaboom (we do sight words where they pull a stick and read the word, put all of the sticks back if they get a kaboom! stick), memory, go fish, anything involving dice, board games, etc. I made some math and sight word games out of candy land boards.
  • write the room
  • mazes and dot-to-dots (laminated or in page protectors)
  • sorting activities of all kinds
  • puzzles
  • clothespin activities - abc or # clothespins that they have to clip in order, # cards and they clip the correct amount of clothespins, there are lots of free clip cards for sounds/rhyming/etc on TPT
  • cut and paste - I put out a sample of a cut and paste picture with all of the needed materials and they try to copy it - so good for not only cutting skills but to see how they can/can't recreate the shapes and such
That's all I can think of for now, but I know there's more! I'll add if I think of any...
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote