Help

Kindergarten

On Line expectations

>

happykids

On Line expectations
Old 04-30-2020, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Wondering what your Kindergarten expectations are for Distance Learning.

We are required to do 2 Whole Group Meets a week.
We are required to keep 2 hours of office time a day. (Parents could reach us with email quickly if needed)
I do small groups 3 days a week. However, now I must ALSO provide an instructional video daily. This can be something we make or something or we find on line.

This is beginning to sound like more than I can do.
What are you required to do? What are kids required to do?
Kids are guided to be online 45 minutes of learning a day. (Depending on their situation)

happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 04-30-2020, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Right now our expectation is that we are "seeing" kids via zoom 3x per week. That can be large group, small group, or individually and is up to the teacher. We are not required to keep office hours, but are expected to respond to emails in a reasonable amount of time. There was talk at our meeting yesterday of having to provide more pre-recorded lessons.

I choose to do one whole group meeting, one small group meeting, and one individual check in for each child every week. It's been working pretty well. I'd love to do another small group but totally get zoom fatigue!

We provide a week's worth of work in the form of packets (online or they can pick up a paper packet at school), art projects and videos (both videos we make and find). I also provide 5 leveled books that they can pick up each week if they'd like.

It's pretty easy to find enough videos for kinders. We do a lot of Harry Kindergarten and Scratch Garden.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 05-01-2020, 05:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for your reply. What about instructional videos. (Jack Hartman and Harry Kindergarten donít count) Must be a teacher not a song.

I wish we could do packets or give out books.
Do you find you touch base with all your class in those three meets?
During individual meets, do you teach or check in?
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 05-01-2020, 07:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Holy cow - if those aren't instructional videos I don't know what are. Does your admin not realize how much our babies learn through songs.

I have 3 students who have virtually disappeared. The rest are pretty consistent with coming at least 2x per week to the meetings.

The individual meets are just for sharing and chatting. Sometimes kids will bring some work to show me, or a book to read to me. Mostly they just love to talk!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Expectations
Old 05-02-2020, 05:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We are required to meet once a week as a class (whole class or groups) as a check in and to stay connected to each other. We need to recorded at least 2 instructional videos a week. We need to also meet for instruction at least once a week either one on one, small group, or whole group and record the instruction if anyone is missing.

I am going to start having a group meeting every morning starting next week, to start our days together. Iíve also been meeting each student Once a week and mostly reading with them using RazKids and sharing the screen.

I donít mind recording instructional videos since I share the screen and they see my computer and hear my voice. I use my document camera to record math lessons and storybooks.

One more thing Iíve been doing since day 1 is to record me doing a read aloud, like we always end our days. I do a few pages from a chapter boom.

When I get tired of all this, I remind myself how lucky I am that I still have a job and am getting paid for teaching from home. I never imagined I would be able to teach kindergarten from home! Thank goodness for the parents! All but one are doing a great job!

Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 05-03-2020, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our requirements are much more lax, thankfully. We post work for the week. We are required to have math and reading each day. We have one actual lesson with work for the week and daily choices for the other days (Raz Kids, Freckle, Boom cards, writing journal, etc).
I have a weekly share time. Everyone talks about something from the week--a book, something they wrote, an activity they enjoyed, whatever. Then we have a fun game or activity that incorporates some phonics. I have 2 half hour office hours each day ( principal set it that way. It's weird). I have an open Google meet for one of them for anyone to pop in for help. I've had one student EVER and she came on to chat.
I usually have an instructional video as part of my actual reading lesson each week. I just search my topic on YouTube (compare an contrast, inferencing) and have found really good ones.
Even with what we are doing, families are just overwhelmed. I hate every second of this as a parent and as a teacher
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote