What are you doing during online meetings? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Kindergarten

What are you doing during online meetings?

>

Sbkangas5

What are you doing during online meetings?
Old 04-11-2020, 03:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I think we've settled into one whole class meeting per week, one small group (3 total), and one individual check in. So far we've had 3 class meetings. One was just touching base and sharing something that's been happening, one was singing happy birthday to one of the students, and one was reading a story and then having them share something that started with a y or z.

Our first small groups were making words. We use "spelling through phonics" by the McCrackens and used that format. We sent home a "white board" (piece of paper in a sheet protector) and marker with every kid so we could use them during instruction.

This week's whole class will be reading a story, then doing a 3D shape scavenger hunt.

What have you been doing?

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 04-11-2020, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We've done 2 whole class sessions. But not everyone showed up. I never thought of doing small groups or individual sessions (unless we need to do testing, then we will need to do individual testing sessions).

In the first session, I taught a math lesson on capacity, they shared stories they wrote, if they wished & got to have a "free" sharing time.

In the next session, we practiced the comprehension strategy for the reading story for the week, asked & answered questions (one of our reading skills) then I read a new story & we applied our comprehension skill to that.

We are now on spring break. I have to figure what I want to do when we get back. Good thread, I'll be looking forward to hearing what others are doing.
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Zoom meetingx
Old 04-11-2020, 06:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We’ve done 4 weeks so far. On Mondays I meet with the whole class and we do a class meeting/show and tell. On Tuesday - Friday I meet with students individually and mostly read with them by sharing the RazKids screen with them. I can also assess them using my document camera.

I’ve tried to conference using the pictures of writing that the parents send me, but it’s hard for the parents to know how much help to give, so the writing they send me is as much the parents’ as the students’. So I’m thinking of just sticking with reading and talking with them during our Individual times.

For instruction, I do instructional videos which they can view whenever they are able.
Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

happykids

Old 04-16-2020, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I like the Raz Kid reading idea.
How did you display it?

In smaller groups we have played hang-man. Today onene I tried a game of "War" but that was too hard.

In my larger group I did a directed drawing and the kids liked that. Some then wrote and sent me a picture.

For Birthdays, I send an email to everyone and ask those that want to to draw a picture to share with the Birthday Kid and send me a photo holding it. At the end of the day, I slip it into a slide show (truly takes 2 minutes) and send it to the birthday kid. I have asked staff to send me a picture too and I reuse it for all the kids. Apparently the kids are loving it. That makes me feel good. Usually 8/20 send pictures. One family even sent their own pictures.

In a large group I did a "Mystery Bag." Kids liked that too.

Would love some new ideas.
happykids is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Raz Kids
Old 04-16-2020, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We use ZOOM, so I share the screen so we are looking at the same text. I also brought my document camera home so I can share books using that, and sharing the screen.

For a birthday, we have a whole group zoom and sing happy birthday.

Munchkins is online now   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 04-26-2020, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have one share time each week. The beginning is checking in with each student sharing something from the week's work. Then we do a 5 minute activity (phonics scavenger hunt, making words). Then we do a song they love from class. Then I turn off my mic and camera and they socialize for a bit (seriously sweet and entertaining). After a few minutes I turn my mic back on and tell them it's time to go. There is a touch of academics, but it's more for seeing faces and hearing voices. I get about a third of my class participating.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

CreativeKind

Old 05-04-2020, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I usually play a power point game. I don't have too many on my home computer. I use the ones that we play at school on the smart board. The only difference is the kids cannot click on the correct answer. They tell me the answer and then I click on it. It works out well. I wonder if I could put one on here? If anyone knows how to upload a power point let me know.
CreativeKind is offline   Reply With Quote