Help

Kindergarten

Video lessons help please

>

chingching

Video lessons help please
Old 05-06-2020, 04:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just found out we have to do video lessons for students now. They were just being sent county packets but now the county is requiring video lessons. I have very little materials here at home as we are not allowed in the building anymore. So I come with some questions for those who have already navigated this process.

What type of reading lessons are you teaching on a recorded video?

How long are your videos?

What materials do you use if you did not have a chance to get back in your classrooms?

I'm so nervous for this step and would love to hear any advice/feedback/tips you've discovered as you went through this learning curve.

Thank you all!

chingching is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 05-06-2020, 05:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm just learning how to do it for my daughter's high school students. Here are some tips I was given: face a window so the natural light is fully on your face,have a light on above you, don't get so close to the monitor,look a bit above the camera,put your laptop on top of a thick book so it is elevated. This helps to make sure your eyes do not appear closed or half way closed. Practice and find the correct height. Someone told me not to record more than six minutes or so. That seems to be about right for what I need to do.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 05-06-2020, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We were told 6-7 minutes is ideal and no more than 15 minutes. I am a sped teacher who spends a lot of time teaching reading interventions/basic reading skills during "regular school." I spent a lot of time figuring out how to make videos mirror my regular lessons as much as possible.

They are 15 minutes because I have to document how many minutes of instruction I'm providing per IEPs- 6 minutes a day just isn't enough. I thought they were okay because they're interactive and my P agreed that it was fine because I keep moving- it's not just me sitting there explaining something for 15 minutes. I actually think they turned out well, but after the first week or so, kids just quit watching them . They only do the exit tickets I send out. I still have to post them due to my IEP minutes, but I do look on youtube and if something has 0 views, I simply post it for another day. Why would I waste my time?

I use google slides. It took awhile to make the first presentation, but after that it was pretty easy because I just copy the whole presentation and make some changes for each day. For my Kinders, I start with some phonemic awareness warm ups that obviously don't require any materials. For each question, I ask and then hold up 1, 2, 3 fingers before saying the answer; students are supposed to say the answer before I do and then they'll get immediate feedback. Then I go through a sound deck- I made this on google slides just by putting one letter on each slide. I move around the order of the letters every day. Then I read about 10 CVC words- giving them a few seconds of think time and then modeling sounding it out/reading it. Then sight words- give students a few seconds to say it before me and then I say it. For both of those I have one word on each slide and I'm just clicking through. I have a different color background for letters, sound out words, and sight words. Then I either go through writing some words using the whiteboard on zoom or read some phrases/sentences. No materials are required other than google slides.

If they were to actually follow along and answer out loud like they're supposed to, it would really be about as good as it gets for asynchronous learning, IMO. But they just don't do it. I thought about making separate 2-3 minute videos for each area- i.e. one just for PA, one just for sight words, etc. But then parents would be complaining that I gave them 5 videos to watch...you just can't win.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote