Career Decisions

Is 50 too late to become teacher?

>

Coop513

Coop513

Is 50 too late to become teacher?
Old 03-30-2020, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a 48yo attorney, but I would like to become a middle or high school teacher in English/Social Studies. I live in San Diego. Realistically, I cannot get my credential till age 50. Is that too late to start as teacher? Will schools not want to hire me?

dutchgirl

Old 03-30-2020, 09:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

No, it's not too late. I started at 48. That was in the fall of 2000 and I'm still teaching.
dutchgirl is online now   Reply With Quote

mrsf70

Old 03-31-2020, 04:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Absolutely not! I started teaching at 35 and will finish my masters this year as I turn 50. Age is just a number.
mrsf70 is offline   Reply With Quote

applesaucencr

Old 04-01-2020, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

No, but check the job market for your area. English and social studies positions are hard to come by due to there being so many candidates in those areas. Last year in my area, job fairs were flooded with applicants in all content areas. Also, be choosy about the school/town/district you work in because working conditions can vary greatly.
applesaucencr is offline   Reply With Quote
Nova165

Nova165

Really Think About It
Old 04-20-2020, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

It's not too late. If you want to teach middle school, you'd probably get a job. If you're willing to teach 9th and 10th grade, you'd probably get be able to do that as well. There aren't as many people standing in line to teach grades 7 to 10 because they are difficult. All grades can have their challenges, but the behaviors in middle and high school can be very bad. It helps if you know Spanish to give yourself a little boost to the other applicants. You might be taking a large pay cut considering lawyers often do pretty well. You must be selective about where you teach,too. Inner city schools can be incredibly challenging. Here is my question. Right now, are you able to get through and tolerate each day as an attorney and do it for another 15 or more years at least? If you can, then I say continue being a lawyer. If you are bored as an attorney, then it's not a good enough excuse to quit the law profession.

If law is too stressful,then please understand that teaching now can be very stressful, and teachers have little support. I say you should visit different schools to observe different grades and classrooms and see if it's for you. I don't want to see you throw away your law profession for a group of students who couldn't care less. I've seen it happen many times. Having summers off and getting out early in the day is not enough reason to desire a change. 12 months of work is crammed in 9 or 10 months in Education.Admittedly, I've had a very rocky career in Education. I've taught in every grade and seen it all. Please talk to many other teachers in different areas. Make a slow transition. See if you can go back to law if teaching isn't your thing. I wish you luck .

applesaucencr

Old 05-24-2020, 03:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

So, given the current situation and dramatically reduced tax revenue for states, I would say that it is simply not worth it to change your career. If anything, you could train in online teaching and educational technology.

I remember that the last recession, it took people years to find a teaching position; we had hundreds of applications for one position.
applesaucencr is offline   Reply With Quote