Help

The VENT

Negative Nellies

>

puzzle1mom

Negative Nellies
Old 06-06-2020, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

We had a wave of teachers quit when the year came to a close. The reasons were various but a few were just very unhappy.
A few of them - one was a close colleague/friend - have taken to Facebook and subtly/not-so-subtly made it known that they are happy to have quit and that they feel they were not valued as employees, etc. A couple of others who left last year have chimed in and applauded and such. One former teacher made a comment about how those who left are "Now part of the cool group of people" (yes, this is a grown adult).
I am one of MANY who have chosen to stay. I have had no issues or qualms with the current administration yet seeing these constant social media posts and hearing my friend/co-worker constantly bashing things is very upsetting. It makes me feel like I'm an idiot for staying there.
Most of these people have only ever worked at my school and have no basis for comparison about how other places are. They just assume the "grass is greener" elsewhere. They have no idea how much worse it could be but continue to bash and bash. One actually took a photo of her computer screen showing that her school email had been disabled and posted it to Instagram with a smug comment. What are people thinking???
I think I have to take a break from social media because I just can't wrap my head around how people behave online.

puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 06-06-2020, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My first thought is it must be nice that they don't need an income.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

puzzle1mom

Old 06-06-2020, 08:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Well, I know one got a job already in a brand new school that hasn't opened yet. I'm sure her year will go very smoothly.
puzzle1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 06-06-2020, 08:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would snooze them all for 30 days. I've been doing that to more and more people on social media.

Last edited by Song of Joy; 06-06-2020 at 01:52 PM..
Song of Joy is online now   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-06-2020, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with snoozing them. Iíve snoozed quite a few people on FB for various reasons and itís lovely. Iím not getting nearly as upset going through my feed as I was.

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Surly

One thing Iíve learned from this board
Old 06-06-2020, 08:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Is that a lot of things that bother us about administrators are usually not unique to our particular administrators/schools/states. They’re present across the board. That’s not an insult to administrators. They do what they’re incentivized to do, and that’s usually the same all over. So no, the grass usually isn’t greener on the other side. Moving schools is typically a lateral move at best. A lot of times, I’ve seen a lot of coworkers switch jobs and walk into a political situation that’s much more toxic than the situation they left.

I totally understand how people could reach their breaking point and feel the need for a fresh start, but I always feel like the devil you know is better than the one you don’t.

Last edited by Surly; 06-06-2020 at 10:45 AM..
Surly is online now   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Facebook
Old 06-06-2020, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I actually decided to deactivate my account for awhile. It feels good not to see all the Facebook bs. It is rather calming to not have it to look at. I am meditating, walking, journaling instead.
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

It happens everywhere.
Old 06-06-2020, 11:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

There are a lot of teachers in my school who constantly bash the administrators. These teachers have never taught in any other districts, and don't know how different it can be. I've taught in other districts, and am very happy where I am. When you try to be positive about the admin, the teachers take as you are being negative towards their feelings. It's always hardest at the end of the year.
I agree with snoozing them on social media right now.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-06-2020, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Oh Linda, you are so right. When I made my move mid-year, after the nightmare that was the beginning of the year, I was listening to people complain about petty things and just shaking my head. After what I had been through the beginning of the year (and the 3 years before) I couldn't believe it.
But, it truly is your frame of reference.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Foolish Posts...
Old 06-06-2020, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

While everyone certainly is entitled to their opinion, I see no reason to bash those who stayed. I was never one for burning my bridges, either. You never know when you will need a reference from someone for something. And if this is how they feel, they should be privately texting or using Messenger. What purpose could posts like that serve? I retired not loving my last principal and the direction the district was going in, but I would never have posted like that.

I would "snooze" these people on FB, so you are not subjected to their posts, or possibly even unfriend those who you feel are unduly negative if they are fixated on that negative subject.

Surround yourself with like-minded positive colleagues and ditch the rest.

NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote
AlwaysSummer

AlwaysSummer

Old 06-06-2020, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Surly, besides for tenure, that's why I never moved even within my district. I've noticed good schools can sour. Most of the time in involves a disgruntled parent...

1totravel

Old 06-06-2020, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

It doesn't sound like you need a social media break. It sounds like you need a break from those particular people! If others on Facebook bring you happiness, then keep the FB and ditch (at least temporarily) your communication with the people who are bringing you down.
1totravel is offline   Reply With Quote

whiteturtle

Old 06-07-2020, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I get that a certain place might not be everyone's cup of tea, but if you decide to leave, there is no need to bash anyone. Just move on and be happy for Pete's sake! Don't be a baby!
whiteturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

don't perspective employers
Old 06-07-2020, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

still check Facebook histories of their maybe employees??!! I would not be in a hurry to hire someone who bashes their admin.

For good or bad, school is an institution and has all the elements that go along with an institution and hierarchy. Not having worked in places other than a school can give people false impressions about how the world works elsewhere.

I hope you disregard the opinions of others about your working conditions and form your own based on your experiences. Yeah, others can color our impressions, but you know what is appropriate for you. Hang in there.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 06-09-2020, 10:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

This would bug me too. They might not have been happy, but making their displeasure known on Facebook is unprofessional.

It reminds me of a situation I was in back in the late 1990s. We had a principal who was a nasty person, and I would dread getting up in the morning to go to work. Her replacement was the total opposite, very kind and mild-mannered. I instantly liked her, and really enjoyed the four years she spent at that school.
I couldn't understand why some of my co-workers didn't like her and constantly made cracks about her. She might not have been the most effective principal, but she was sincere, tried her best, and treated us well.

It sounds like those teachers need to grow up.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote
Madeleine

Madeleine

Yikes
Old 06-14-2020, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to grown adults and the internet. The fact that these teachers think that it is smart to go and bash a school district online and then plan to find another teaching job else where baffles me. Do they really think that that is professional? Do they think they will be able to find a new job afterwards with content like that on their page? What really shocks me is how one of the teachers took a picture of the disconnected school email! How unprofessional...