Help

The VENT

A slight problem with reopening

>

sonoma

A slight problem with reopening
Old 06-10-2020, 08:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In California schools are cleared to reopen which means I can reopen my tutoring center.

One issue: disinfectent wipes, bleach, hand sanitizers etc. are nowhere to be found.

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 06-10-2020, 09:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Where I'm at we can now find bleach (to some extent) and hand sanitizer, but not disinfectant wipes!
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 06-10-2020, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You can find hand sanitizer on Amazon now. It smells disgusting, but it will work for your purpose.

I was able to find sanitizing spray online. It's approved for Coronavirus, and the best thing about it is that it uses hydrogen peroxide for the disinfecting not bleach, so you don't get fumes that irritate lungs (I would not use bleach around kids who have asthma). It's called Clorox Disinfecting Bio Stain and Odor.

You can find it online, just google search for it. It's mostly sold from business type stores, and you can mostly only find it in large jugs. I just poured it into a spray bottle and spray and wipe with a paper towel.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 06-10-2020, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I was able to get Clorox disinfecting wipes at Target the other day. I usually donít go in, but I ordered something that was inside pick up only. I saw people in line with wipes and sure enough there was a whole shelf full. Limit one per person, but DH was with me a so we picked up two.

My DH also found Purcell sanitizer and 409 which is also 99% effective on viruses at the Ace Hardware in town. I think you just have to get lucky.

At home I have been using a bleach solution in a spray bottle. Would that work for you?
hand is online now   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 06-10-2020, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have seen travel size hand sanitizer at large market chains, but itís expensive. I saw Clorox wipes at target once. Companies claimed they were going to be getting wipes back in general supply by mid to late June, but Iím not sure if they have been able to keep up production over the last few months.

Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

aly7123

Old 06-10-2020, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I was able to get disinfectant wipes by checking the Walmart app every day. It seems like once a week, they get some on the app and I was able to get enough to last me for now. They're not there every day though and you have to be diligent with checking.

Also, I'm in PA so I don't know if this will be true in CA, but my mom told me today that our Walmart has disinfectant wipes but are keeping them in the express lane. You have to ask the cashier for them and there's a limit. I believe she said there was hand sanitizer there too. It's worth checking out at your Walmart!
aly7123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-10-2020, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Our Target was finally stocked with all of that! I've also found them at grocery stores, CVS, etc. I'm in CA as well, so maybe it's more regional?
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 06-11-2020, 11:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I don't think teachers should be held responsible for purchasing anything .
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

EllyTeaches

Old 06-11-2020, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I agree with Anna. Teachers should not be responsible for cleaning supplies. Those costs will add up really quickly. It'd be interesting to find out how many employees in other professions are responsible for getting their own supplies in this manner.

I am fighting an internal battle with myself because I need teacher tape for posters. I know I should wait for the school-provided ones, but they are so late in getting things all the time, and I'd rather just go in in early August to get it done so that I can feel prepared, not anxious.

The powers-that-be know that they have us over a barrel because we care so much. We don't want the kids to go without for both their and our sakes.
EllyTeaches is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 06-11-2020, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

The other day, when I was in school packing up my classroom, the custodian was going around to ask teachers if they had any disinfectant wipes so she could clean the bathrooms. She was trying to follow the frequent cleaning guidelines, but the school district hasn't provided the needed supplies

Starr is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 06-11-2020, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

That is what concerns me. If I canít get cleaning supplies for my small 50 person business how are the big school districts going to find enough supplies. I have business accounts. Still out of stock
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 06-11-2020, 09:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I know! She said they got 1(!) bottle of bleach to disinfect the whole school....
Starr is online now   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 06-11-2020, 11:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We all knew this would be a problem and frankly itís one of the reasons why they shouldnít open schools. There was a chart circulating that it would cost your average district about 1.7 million for the year to keep up with Ppe demands that the cdc is recommending.
Fractured is online now   Reply With Quote

Mshope

About the Bleach
Old 06-15-2020, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I can get bleach here. However, I think the bleach/water solution is only good for a few hours. I was spraying my groceries with it after they got delivered.

I did order small amounts of hand sanitizer on Amazon. I think that would be too expensive for a business. I cannot get the alcohol to make my own hand sanitizer. (I do have the aloe gel.)

I did buy some hand sanitizer at the grocery store. It smells awful. I put it in spray bottles, but it's really not that much. There was a 2 bottle limit.

I was just looking online for alcohol wipes. It seemed that nothing would be delivered until August. I'll just wait. I've always purchased my own Clorax wipes to disinfect my computer, phone, desk, and staplers at school. I will also wipe down pens, doorknobs, and stuff like that. I know our janitors don't do that. I can't imagine going back to school WITHOUT my wipes and hand sanitizer. They better have some sort of secret stash that we don't know about...
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote