Is anyone else being given projects to work on by your admin - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Is anyone else being given projects to work on by your admin

>

OrganizedPup

Is anyone else being given projects to work on by your admin
Old 06-16-2020, 10:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

this summer and not getting paid for it? Yup, I'm considered a ten month employee and my admin has given me 3 separate projects to work on and I'm not getting paid extra for it. We got out of school in May, so as a school we've been on summer break for 3 weeks now. Oh and by the way, these projects are not going to be quick things and I don't have months to complete them. The sooner I can complete them the better as some are directly related to how we're going to operate come August but information and decisions really need to be made ASAP. Yup, found this out today.

Don't come at me with "contact your union". Not every state has a union and I'm in one of those states. Our state is considered an "At-Will Employment" state.

Also, don't come at me with "quit". Yeah, definitely not wise in these times.

I have to suck it up and get them done but I'm still annoyed and frustrated. Just venting.

OrganizedPup is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 06-16-2020, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Not a chance, but we have a union. I am sorry, that isn't right!
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

Veggirl

Projects? Yes. Paid? Yes.
Old 06-16-2020, 10:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have been given a rather large project (voluntary) and those who complete it are being given a stipend ($1000). We are a union state so this may be part of the reason. So sorry to hear that you are expected to complete them without being compensated.
Veggirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Required To Do Summer Work ófor Free
Old 06-16-2020, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I’m in an “ At-Will Employment” state also...

But.....

In my district all summer projects are voluntary &

stipends are paid for all summer projects

Additionally,

Legally, your contract dates are the only dates you are required to work..

Even in “At-Will Employment” states”

If your principal is assigning required summer projects outside of teaching contract dates,

that is illegal & district officials need to inform Principal to stop

or district need to pay you all for working.
Dr. A is online now   Reply With Quote

AspenRed

Old 06-16-2020, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am finishing up my education administration degree, so I am working on a bunch of different things with my principal in order to gain experience.

I have also volunteered to be on our district's Flexible Instruction Days Committee and our Pandemic Task Force. Both of those have required a ton of meetings.

I don't mind that I am not getting paid, as I am gaining experiences that will help me become a principal in the future.

Our union would be on it, if teachers were doing jobs that required them to get paid. As a union officer, I have been in multiple meetings since March. In April we had 14 teachers furloughed. We are working on getting them recalled. It's been so much back and forth between us and the district on this and many other topics.

AspenRed is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 06-16-2020, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I wouldn't do it. You are off contract. Tell him you will get on it when school starts again. I know you said you have no union, but do you have an association? And you don't want to quit, I know. But honestly this is why districts get away with this stuff because teachers won't say no.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

No Thank You
Old 06-16-2020, 03:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Just say no. Districts get away with doing this because teachers don't say no. It is a ridiculous request.

Last edited by travelingfar; 06-17-2020 at 01:39 AM..
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Was this an email?
Old 06-16-2020, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If it was, did you reply already?

It sounds like you are being taken for granted. I learned a great way to say no is, ďI canít say yes.Ē

If you donít want to do it, you really donít have to. If you decide to do it, at the very least keep track of your hours towards your professional development.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 06-16-2020, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I mean, seriously! Just say you are on break and have already made plans for this summer.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

southernfried

Old 06-16-2020, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

That really stinks. I'm working a ton this summer, too (like, doing something school-related daily), but that is 100% my decision - not mandated by my district. I'm also in a right-to-work state and like my job, so I won't tell you to contact your union or quit.

If you HAVE to do it and just need a way to feel positively about it, my question would be: is the project something you're going to have to do eventually? Like, will it take work off your plate in the fall by getting the project done now? And/or, is there a way to complete the project that will also benefit you? (like, if you've been tasked with making tutorial videos for the staff on how to use google slides, can you go ahead and make a set of slides for a lesson you'll teach in the fall as your example)

For me, I'm spending the summer getting my curriculum fully switched over to an online course. That involves basically creating a writing curriculum from scratch (a project I've had on the back burner for a few years anyway), making a year's worth of lesson videos, plus pulling together a lot of tedious resources and basically teaching myself how to use Canvas. I plan to have the entire year outlined and the first 5-6 weeks fully created, uploaded, and ready to go before workdays start.

But I'm okay with it because a) it's work I planned to do anyway (the writing part) and b) I know 100% I'll make use of it in the fall, no matter what schooling configuration we end up using. It's all work I need to do eventually - I'm choosing to do it now so that when things inevitably hit the fan in the fall I'm not trying to weather all the changes plus figure out what I'm teaching.

If the work you're doing is busy work and/or things that really have no connection to your actual job description, then I'd probably handle it by arranging a full day to knock out as much as I could (like, get a babysitter, leave the house if needed) and just getting it off my plate as fast as possible. Then whatever's left, decide how much per day I'm willing to work on it and set aside a chunk of time each day to get it done.

But overall... ugh... yeah... I feel you. I made the decision around April that I'd be working steadily through the summer to prepare for fall, so I've been in this headspace for a while. I'm trying to give myself and my district a little more grace than usual and am willing to volunteer my time and talents *to a point* in these unusual times. But yeah... it's still sucky.

southernfried is offline   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

Old 06-16-2020, 07:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thatís ridiculous. And why unions are important. Check into what Dr A. suggested.

Was the request in an email on your work email account? Are you obligated to check your work email over the summer?

If you havenít already, donít respond. You never saw it.
imatchr2 is online now   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Old 06-17-2020, 02:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Even before I clicked on your profile I knew it would say "elementary". It seems to me that middle and high school teachers are more likely to push back even in "at will" states. I do admire them for that.

Even one project is too many but three? Are other teachers involved? By any chance was your school year shortened and admin considers teachers "owe" them time?
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-17-2020, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have worked on school things over the summer for no compensation, but I have a.ways gotten something for it and it in some big way benefits me. I would not do it otherwise.

Unless I was a new teacher or my p hated me, it would be hard to retaliate against me for not doing it.

I am surprised there arenít more people doing similar work this summer due to the impact of COVID changes.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Old 06-17-2020, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Quote:
I am surprised there aren’t more people doing similar work this summer due to the impact of COVID changes.
Actually, I’m surprised districts are not paying employees who are required to work outside of contract dates.

In my large district, We are planning, working & preparing due to COVID 19, but 10 months employees who agreed to assist are being paid a stipend.

I agreed to assist & they are paying a stipend.
Dr. A is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-17-2020, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Stipends in my district are few and far between. Some of the stipend amounts are ridiculous. $100 to take a week long class. Donít think so.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

ih8

Old 06-17-2020, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Many great ideas have already been mentioned. Even though we know it is not right to ask teachers to work for free, a large majority need a job, especially now. So let's focus on realistic solutions.

The best one, in my opinion, is not to check work email during summer. There is no mandate to do so since contract hours have come to an end. I highly doubt the principal will call you directly if you don't answer the email. Even if she/he does, you can ignore the call. If asked about it later, you can say you were on a trip and did not see the call. That would not seem like an unrealistic situation and allows you to avoid coming out directly and refusing.

Ask yourself: what is the worst thing that can happen if you refuse to work for free?

Will you be fired? Probably not, especially now that many teachers are not returning to work.

Could you be fired eventually, due to this one refusal to do free work? Highly unlikely.

Could you be penalized in other ways? Possibly. Your principal might begin to marginalize you, or exclude you, or not do you any favors in the future.

If that is something you are ok with, refuse to work for free. If you are not ok with possible future reprisals, go ahead and work for free but remember: just because you worked for free now does not mean the principal will hesitate to get rid of you if that is something that becomes necessary.
ih8 is offline   Reply With Quote