The VENT

Summer school?

>

Violet123

Summer school?
Old 06-14-2020, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Is anyone teaching summer classes?

As a special ed teacher I always feel ďobligatedĒ to teach summer classes. So..again, this summer I am teaching three small group math classes...remotely...of course.

Usually I donít mind it but Iím dreading it now because Iím so burnt out from remote teaching and I know my summer will also be filled with preparing for the fall.

Just curious if anyone else is teaching any summer classes too?

Violet123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Tutoring
Old 06-14-2020, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I taught summer school my first two years of teaching. After that I decided absolutely not! I need a break! This summer I'm tutoring one student from my class once a week. I'm hoping I still feel refreshed. We'll see how it goes.

I would not feel obligated to teach summer school. You come first.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-14-2020, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I did it when it was the state of IL doing summer Bridges and loved it; I got great PD, tons of goodies and resources for my classroom and great pay.

I did it a few summers ago when it was through my district and it was terrible. I haven’t done it since.

I’m curious why you feel compelled to do. They’ve done nothing to help you. You don’t owe them anything. You come first. Don’t do it. Tell them you had a personal emergency and back out. They wouldn’t hesitate to fire you if they didn’t have the numbers.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Old 06-14-2020, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Why do you feel obligated to do it? Just say no.

I taught summer school my first three or four years as a teacher. I never felt like I got a break from school and was tired when I went back to school in the fall.

Last edited by travelingfar; 06-15-2020 at 02:27 AM..
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 06-14-2020, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Nope. I never do. I need that break. You should not feel obligated to teach summer school.

If you don't want to do it, then don't. Send them an email stating that you have a family situation you need to put first (not a lie- the family situation and who you need to put first is yourself), and won't be able to do the summer classes.

teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 06-14-2020, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I taught summer school one summer to earn money for living room furniture. I never did it again. I was paid my daily contracted rate.

I did not get appropriate rest between one school year and the next. Plus, the pay stinks now. Now the pay is per hour of work. I can earn more during the school year doing an adjunct job which is less work.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-14-2020, 01:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm teaching all summer long. I can't afford the luxury of taking the summer off.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 06-14-2020, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It's very limited. Pays well but very few positions available. Basically the same few teachers with connections get the jobs each year....
I finally stopped applying.
I am doing some remote extra curricular type teaching through an outside program, hopefully. If they get enough kids to sign up!
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

sped91

Esy
Old 06-14-2020, 02:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm doing Extended School Year for three weeks. I'm already done with week one. I have 6 students and 5 were my students during the school year, so we've just continued on with what we were doing at the end of the school year.

I've taught ESY the last few years and I'm finding teaching it remotely is requiring much more plan time than in person ever did.

We finish June 26th and I will have about 6 weeks before we report back. That will be enough of a break. I had one year where it was shorter because our start date got moved up. That one was rough.
sped91 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 06-14-2020, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

35 years so far at elementary. Never!

twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

FUNNYJOKER

Old 06-14-2020, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Never have. Never will.

My summer belongs to me.
FUNNYJOKER is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 06-14-2020, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I only taught one summer in the past 20 years. (Before I had children I did work at a summer camp.)

I thought about teaching summer school this year but I'm glad I decided not to. They have to teach 4 subjects and do 3 45-minute Google Meet lessons every day.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 06-14-2020, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

When I was a classroom teacher, I'd work summer school every ther year. The money I made went into savings for a vacay trip the next summer.

Since becoming a librarian, I only did summer school the first couple summers bc I only worked one day a week. It was great money, and it ended at 1:30. I'd stay til 5ish doing cool stuff in the library that I didn't have time or energy to do during the school year.

Then the county changed up ss scheduling and library became a 4 days/week gig with no job sharing options. Forget that. We eat out a couple times less each month year round, and our savings bulks up enough for a trip very other summer.

Violet, it's not too late to back out of summer school. Put the oxygen mask on yourself first so you can help others.
bookgeek59 is online now   Reply With Quote

Violet123

Thank you
Old 06-14-2020, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Thank you for the pep talks to get out of it. But.. itís tricky because my supervisor is wonderful and has done so much for me over the years and sheís always in a bind because no one wants to do it.

I used to do Mon-Fri 8-12 for 5 weeks with students on my caseload and students I didnít know at all.

This summer Iím only doing T/Th 9-10:30 with students on my caseload for only 4 weeks. It wonít be that bad.. Iím just done.

Next summer Iíll say no..maybe.

Haley23

Old 06-14-2020, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

My district stopped offering a comprehensive summer school program many years ago. At the beginning of my career I always taught summer school. I appreciated the extra money and I also liked that it gave me a bit of structure while also being significantly easier than teaching during the regular school year.

I will say the one year I did summer school in this district was by far the hardest. In my previous districts teachers were smart enough to not send major behaviors to summer school. That wasn't the case here and I had a very tough class as well as some high maintenance parents.

A couple of years ago they introduced a very limited program with only 2 teachers for the entire district. I applied but didn't get it. It did seem like they were asking quite a bit of those teachers so it may have been a blessing in disguise.

We also offer ESY, but after naively taking one of those positions after my first year of teaching I realized I don't have the knowledge/experience for it. I teach mild/moderate and it's severe/profound, medically fragile, etc. kids that go. Their goals were things like "maintain attention with an eye gaze for 5 seconds." I honestly had no idea what to do with them all day. I'd love the extra money and structure, but I won't put myself in that position ever again! And because my district is tiny, it's one room with one teacher (plus paras) and K-12 kids all together. Nope, nope, nope.

I'm a sped teacher also and have never felt obligated to teach summer school because of that. Why would that make any difference? If you don't want to do it you should just say no.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Violet
Old 06-14-2020, 04:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I'm so glad you're going from 20 hrs/week to 3 hrs/week. Much better. No overtime for you! Reclaim your summer!

YOU CAN DO IT!
bookgeek59 is online now   Reply With Quote

pdxteacher

Old 06-15-2020, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I'm glad your schedule is lighter this summer, and I agree that when it's your "own" students it can be easier.

But this?
Quote:
But.. itís tricky because my supervisor is wonderful and has done so much for me over the years and sheís always in a bind because no one wants to do it.
This is bananas to me. That's her problem, not yours.
pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

No
Old 06-15-2020, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

The hourly rate is capped at an amount that is about $25 less than my regular contracted rate.
tgbwc is online now   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 06-15-2020, 10:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I am teaching summer school remotely. It is so worth the money. I am getting paid for six hours but only have to do two live 20 minute sessions. We make $45 an hour during the summer. It is so worth it financially.
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

ih8

No more summer school
Old 06-15-2020, 01:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Summer school is a joke: the kids that have been getting interventions all year and showed no improvement fill the classes and no matter what they do, they move on to the next grade. Even if they only attend a few days of the required three weeks, they pass. Even if they have zeros in the gradebook. Ours is Mon-Thursday 8 to noon.

The benefit for teachers is the money and the fact that the groups are usually extremely small (five to ten students). Even though nothing at all is provided (not one pencil or marker), summer school positions are hard to get and everyone wants them. The pay is about $31 an hour.

I did it a few times and found it very boring and tedious. One year I made the mistake of signing up for summer school for three weeks and summer camp for two additional weeks. I didn't feel like I got a break at all and went back to work very unsatisfied. Let the people who need the money take the positions: I would rather be bored at home but at least I will rest enough to start the new school year well.
ih8 is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

No guilt here
Old 06-15-2020, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I taught special ed summer school for my first 7 years because I needed the money. After that, I enjoyed my summers plus took a lot of PD to fulfill certification requirements.

We had no reason to feel guilty. When I didn't want to teach my class in the summer, there were always many young teachers on a waiting list ready to take it.
jov is online now   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Used to
Old 06-15-2020, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I used to teach our summer program until they got rid of it. I liked having smaller classes. One year we even had a set program and got an actual curriculum. Shocker!

It was blazing hot, though. Some days we just baked. It's probably for the best that they ended it because less and less kids came every year. That's probably due to grade inflation. You know, where the parents think the kids are geniuses because we aren't allowed to give Ds or Fs unless we jump through hoops.

I say do it this year, but reconsider for next. I wouldn't even make up an excuse, everyone needs a break. Especially this year.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

Violet123

Old 06-16-2020, 03:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I know. I have such a hard time saying no. Iím getting better..this time I said I was only available T/Th

Next year Iíll say Iím not available...maybe..

dawnmei

summer school
Old 06-17-2020, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Summer school is highly sought after at the elementary level in my district and teachers are chosen by lottery. Some years I've applied and taught, some years I wasn't chosen to teach, and some years I haven't applied. It just depends on what my past school year and summer look like. There is never a lack of teachers.

Typically it is held at one of the five elementary buildings with 2 or 3 sections of each grade, right after the school year ends. This year it is being held the last 2 weeks of July at each building, parents must provide transportation, and a max of 12 in a class. I originally did not sign up to teach, but when it went to the building level said I would be interested. Just found out today that I will be teaching along with my favorite grade level teammate. At the moment we have 7 students each.
dawnmei is offline   Reply With Quote