Help

BusyBoard

Edgenuity

>

arsabl

Edgenuity
Old 06-17-2020, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have experience with Edgenuity?

My district plans to use this for virtual learning next year. They want to know which teachers may be interested in running the program. I have no idea if they plan for one virtual teacher per grade level or one teacher for grade level spans. I did a quick Google search on Edgenuity and the reviews from a student's perspective are not the best.

arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

SoCalTeach

Old 06-17-2020, 03:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't have an answer for you. I was just told that is what we are using for summer school. I'm totally not familiar with that platform.
SoCalTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Used Edgenuity lots!
Old 06-17-2020, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've been retired for three years, so some things have likely changed. However, I taught in an alternative high school and the last couple of years almost all of our academics were Edgenuity.

When I was doing it, the basic content for each course was determined by an administrator. There were various subjects on the platform and that person decided which units would be included in a course. They could also decided whether there would be a pretest. If there was a pretest it could result in a student being excused from some of the units of study. I greatly disliked that because I would end up, for example, with a student who was required to do Acts !, II, and IV of a five act Shakespeare play.

Most units had several sections, starting with a lecture (talking head), followed by vocabulary (depending on the subject), practice questions, and then a quiz. After several sections, there would be a review and a test.

The practice often included open-ended questions. If the student typed ANYTHING in the box, it was considered correct. So a student might answer incorrectly, type IDK, put a question mark--and get it "right." Teacher could read the answers and change the grade--which I did routinely. Tests didn't have open-ended questions.

Depending on how the district has set things up, students may have to have quizzes and/or tests unlocked by the teacher. That simply means you click on something--but it gives you the right to be sure they have do the work first.

Be sure that you know whether students have to have things unlocked. It may be that they only have to have retakes unlocked. The retakes won't be exactly the same. There's probably a data bank of questions that they pull from, but there aren't really enough to ensure that students don't just write down the question and find the answer.

Students also learn how to have more than one internet session open and they google answers. A true pain.

Another issue is--what rules are you planning to have about using notes.

Students can take notes on Edgenuity, but I don't think those are accessible during tests. Notes in a notebook obviously are.

Oh, occasionally there are bad questions or inaccurate answers expected. It is possible for the teacher to enter a complaint. I have had questions removed from their data base. I even had an entire lecture about the Iliad removed once. The speaker talked about Christian influences on the Iliad which was written many centuries before Christ. They threw out the whole lecture--it just was not salvageable.

Let me know if you have more questions.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Question for TOAEP
Old 06-17-2020, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you, TOAEP! It sounds like you were working with older students. You gave a lot of helpful information. I read about the cheating when researching Edgenuity.

Do you have any information on how Edgenuity would work with primary (K-3rd)?
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

arsabl
Old 06-17-2020, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

No info or knowledge about how Edgenuity works with primary age students. I imagine that it's somewhat similar, but likely smaller/shorter chunks of content. As I mentioned, I taught at the high school level. Very different.

You might ask whether the district has already purchased rights to use Edgenuity at that level. If so, perhaps they would give you a password so you could see some of the content and how it all works.

Last edited by TAOEP; 06-17-2020 at 07:56 PM.. Reason: Added something
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote