Help

The VENT

Silly to let it bother me

>

School Time

Silly to let it bother me
Old 06-17-2020, 06:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My class has not been that involved all year. i do a reading incentive program and they didn't work for that. About half turn in work or do the on-line assignments. For Christmas, the class gift was a $20 gift card. Just the way it is. Today was the day to pick up student belongings. The sub in the other class (a retired teacher, a good friend, who was with the kids for a couple of weeks before the shut down. I have been doing the plans for her class, too, and handling tech issues. Same plans, same activites, she has more kids complete them daily.) and the aide received several gifts and flowers. I got nothing. Two teachers who live locally had gifts delivered to their homes for teacher appreciation. I didn't get anything. I do two videos each day to stay in touch. For a couple of days I told the kids I would be there today.I said I hoped I would see them and to wear a mask. A couple of parents said they didn't know the kids could come. Do they watch the videos?

I realize this is a small silly thing. But I still feel badly. I have to realize that it is this group.

School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 06-17-2020, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You are not silly to feel slighted. It seems that this happens to all of us at one time or another and it does make you feel bad. I am sorry that your feelings were hurt and that you were not recognized for all the extra work you were doing. Bravo for you for helping out the sub!
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 06-17-2020, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

So sorry about that. I have some similar feelings. It's not really about the stuff, more that the work we did was appreciated. We had very low participation in a school wide group gift ~ lucky some people DID participate. One parent said she wanted our addresses (mine & my aide) so she could send a gift, I got the impression she would email me to get them. Crickets...I'm certainly not about to email her to solicit a gift!! I sent 2 room moms small gift cards for their work this year but neither of them gave anything to me. Again, stuff not so important but it DOES show they are thinking of us & appreciate us.

I sort of feel that many parents felt we didn't do much ~ we got a vacation...ummm, no! We worked harder than ever, but many didn't notice that. And my school, we jumped right into e-learning, no extra week or 2 off like some other schools or districts did. We had to learn new technology & how to teach remotely WHILE doing it!

One good thing, our P had our back. She didn't micromanage us & praised us in our efforts to all the parents.
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 06-17-2020, 11:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm so sorry, that does hurt. I've had times like that, and have though that even a card or email thanking me would be welcome! Like another poster said, it's not so much about the stuff as it is knowing you're appreciated. ((hugs))
TeacherPK6 is online now   Reply With Quote

School Time

Old 06-18-2020, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Got an e gift card today. That made me feel better.

School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

ih8

Old 06-18-2020, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It is totally understandable to have your feelings hurt by something like this. Teachers often feel unappreciated by admins and parents, so when students also show no appreciation, that can really sting.

This year, I received absolutely NOTHING at the end of the year. I had about three or four parents thank me through email at the end of the year.

In normal circumstances, I usually get a few inexpensive gifts like flowers or chocolate from about a third of my students. When I first started working 9 years ago, I would get loads of edible gifts, flowers, jewelry, perfumes, handbags, etc. from my students/parents. The thought was always appreciated. Every year the gifts get less and less.
ih8 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-20-2020, 01:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm sorry your feelings were hurt That never feels good- especially when you see others getting more acknowledgement.

I always hated reading posts about what teachers on PT got from students. In all the schools I worked, gifts for teachers were extremely rare (and we never had room parents or anyone who would set up events or gifts). Although it shouldn't matter, it didn't make me feel good to see what other PT teachers were getting and how different their jobs (and, in many cases, pay) were from mine (e.g, we taught all our own specials, planning time was only after school, our pay was lowest in the nation when cost of living was factored in, etc.). Comparisons only made me feel worse and made me feel more resentful. So I have tried to resist comparison (obviously not always successfully ).

Many of us put our heart and souls into teaching our students (no matter their ages) and feeling that is not acknowledged (or, worse, insulted) is a rotten feeling.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote