Help

BusyBoard

1:1 Initiatives

>

Teacherbee_4

1:1 Initiatives
Old 06-19-2020, 02:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has your school expanded/implemented a 1:1 program for next year? My school system and another school system were both probably 2:1 (enough devices for every 2 students to have 1) for the past several years. Students couldn't take devices home, either. Just this week, both announced that they are going to a total 1:1 for k-12 beginning next year and bringing devices home will be allowed. While I'm sure they wanted it for awhile, I'm guessing the COVID situation played a huge factor in this. It limits the sharing of technology between students, ensures students are used to the device, applications, etc. that they would use for online learning, and ensures all students have a device for online learning (which I'm guessing is likely).

Just curious, is your school expanding or implementing a 1:1 program this year?

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

1:1
Old 06-19-2020, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We were already 1:1 in most schools in my district. Most devices were sent home for Distance Learning. Iím not sure what condition the devices are in. I made sure my students cared for their devices in my room. Who knows what Iíll have once school begins. I had a set of touchscreen Chromebooks!
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

AspenRed

Old 06-19-2020, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are moving to 1:1 this fall, due to COVID. This past year I had 12 computers for 24 kids, so basically 2:1. We have a new superintendent for next year. She's really into technology so, she said we will be 1:1. Teachers are also getting laptops.
AspenRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 06-19-2020, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have been 1:1 in certain grades for a few years. We were 1:1 in grades 8 to 12 last year. This year we will be 1:1 in grades 6 to 12. I havenít heard about elementary.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-19-2020, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We've been 1:1 for many years- I believe it was new when I started in the district 7 years ago. It used to be that 4th and up could take devices home every night and then 3rd would start with taking home devices in January. I believe they've limited that/made it more of an individual school/teacher decision. Originally they stated that school firewalls would still be in place even if the child was using the device at home. As you can guess, people pretty quickly figured out ways around that.

I'm not sure if things will change next year. Some have been speculating that we'll never get snow days again- they'll just make them online learning days. I don't really see how that's feasible without advanced planning, but it would be a lot easier to mandate if students are already taking devices home nightly.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

readandweep

1:1
Old 06-20-2020, 03:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My school has enough tech for everyone to get a device, but we were never 1:1 in that kids did not have a personal device that they carried all school day and/or took home.

The district tech were really pushing for us to be officially 1:1 so that parents must take out insurance/have homeowners insurance cover the devices.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

readandweep
Old 06-20-2020, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Sorry to go off on a side topic, but your comment about insurance has me wondering. . . Can the school board mandate that parents have insurance? I wouldn't think so. And what about our homeless or kids that are camping out in another family's house, what are they supposed to do? Insurance for school owned laptops seems like it should be paid by the school board. Mandating insurance would serve the purpose of further widening the divide between the haves and the have nots!
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

booklady57
Old 06-20-2020, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Totally agree about insurance increasing the divide, which is why only our magnet school has official 1:1. We are a district of around 12-16,000 students.

I believe insurance is offered, but parents are also responsible for repair and replacements with or without insurance.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote