Help

BusyBoard

How do I social distance in here?

>

Zephie

How do I social distance in here?
Old 06-19-2020, 09:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was told to expect approximately 20 kids in this small classroom. Ive already requested desks to replace the tables, but im scratching my head to set it up for social distancing.

Please excuse the clutter, the old teacher is still moving out and the room was used for math and science last year. All co tent area stuff will be swapped for ela and social studies next week.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Zephie is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-19-2020, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Join the club!

From what I have read suggestions are to put everyone facing the same direction with as much space between as possible. If you go wall to wall...
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 06-19-2020, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's a nice size classroom. I think you can do it. Our classrooms are probably about half as large (ancient building). Try to keep some of those tables so you can split up the computers (if they are staying in the room) and distance them in the 4 corners.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 06-19-2020, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Going wall to wall is not an option. The power supply for the computers is on the window wall and the classroom storage is on the other wall. The room can easily fit 25 if clusters are created... but 20 individual desks is another story.

This will be interesting.

arsabl

Old 06-19-2020, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I calculated social distancing for my portable classroom. Itís not big enough doe 25 students and one teacher. If the room had only student desks, 23 people can be in the room.

So it wonít work unless class sizes are reduced.

arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 06-19-2020, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You canít.

My district has always said that none of the classrooms are set up to accommodate 6 feet of space between bodies, to be in compliance our K-3 classrooms couldnít have more than 9 students at a time and buses could only hold 12 students for each run.

Itís just not feasible to socially distance with a full roster. And if theyíre all in the same room theyíre all constantly breathing the same air anyway.

Though, if the plan for your school is to try and enforce the 6 feet than I would imagine the students couldnít share supplies either. That would, most likely, include computers.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-19-2020, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Yep, you can't. It's ridiculous for anybody to think that it will be a reality. Not to mention, as soon as any kid moves for any reason, there goes the 6 ft. I really wish the whole social distancing in classrooms was completely off the table. No school is set up for it.
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Old 06-19-2020, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
I was told to expect approximately 20 kids in this small classroom.
The classroom looks like a good size

It could be possible depending on the model your district uses.

If your district use a hybrid model with half the roster attending alternating

days then that would be 10 students in your classroom each day.

It would be enough space to socially distance by 6 ft.
Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 06-19-2020, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You're absolutely correct, with 10 kids it could be done. Its so hard not knowing what the plan is.

csb/5th

Love your room!
Old 06-20-2020, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Zephie, good luck and have fun decorating and arranging your room. It is great that the custodial staff is so helpful and accommodating! Your room looks neat, colorful, and clean. I know it is hard to set up and arrange without knowing the new rules set in place and how many kids you will have. Youíll have fun planning your colors and other room decorations. Hopefully you will soon find out more about how school will ďlookĒ this coming year. Have fun! 😀

csb/5th is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Csb
Old 06-20-2020, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I was told the plan would be known after the 4th of July... at least we'd have a better idea. I also need to see what all I'm getting for curriculum stuff because that stuff could take up a lot of space considering I'm using Guidebooks 3.0

Sleddog

Six Feet
Old 06-20-2020, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

We were told to remove all furniture that wasnít a desk/table or chair. Our rooms will look sterile. Bookcases up against the wall are fine. I can just barely get all of my seats 6 feet. I measured seat to seat, not desk to desk. If kids are closer than 6 feet, like when they move, masks must be on. Although, everyone will be required to wear one anyway. Iíve been looking for plexiglass to separate a table in two, but no such luck. Iím going to ask if a parent can take either a small bulletin board or whiteboard and make a frame for it. Iím going to put it in the middle of my large table so two kids can sit there. Itís not ideal, but necessary. Iím more worried about the chemicals our rooms will be sprayed with!
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

csb/5th

Old 06-20-2020, 03:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Zephie, hopefully after the 4th of July you will know a lot more. I wonder how many times they will change it after that? It probably depends on how many cases we have later on. Our numbers are increasing each day it seems. Are they changing the curriculum as well? Do you have the textbooks and teacherís manuals to look at? Did you find out if you will be departmentalized or self contained? Did they give you phone numbers of your teammates so you could find out some procedures and policies that your grade level has in place already? They can give you the inside scoop on procedures, etc, that are standard to your grade level. Plus it will be great to get to know the teachers you will be working with. 😀 What grade are you teaching? I know your head is swimming with ideas! 😀 I hope you have a wonderful year in spite of the changes made by COVID 19! Keep us posted! 😀
csb/5th is offline   Reply With Quote

Zephie

Old 06-20-2020, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Right now I have been promised I will be departmentalized with ELA and SS. I think there is so much confusion with where stuff is right now since grades and content area rooms have been moved around. Ive got 4th grade. Ela is guidebooks 3.0 and SS, I'm not sure yet - I think Pearson. Hopefully next week I can get my hands on my manuals. Since I don't have my email yet, I can't access the guidebooks manuals on the Google drive. Plus all the curriculum maps have been rewritten in the last couple mo ths.

I hate that I'm ELA on the first year the leap 2025 matters since none of the kids got to take the 3rd grade test. Ill make it work though.

Oh, and my partner teacher and I are the only new teachers on campus.

Any hints on how to make the guidebooks work for me?