Help

BusyBoard

Formal remote ed tech training?

>

Risa

Formal remote ed tech training?
Old 06-19-2020, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know the Covid-19 shutdown took most schools (and families) by surprise. My teacher friends who work in the lower grades suddenly had to figure out how to reach their young students (in low-income communities) not knowing who had internet and/or computer access at home. Initially, they created 'worksheet packets', which we know can be boring for students and leave a lot to be desired. Eventually my friends were able to use computer technology to reach their students, but ended the school year completely worn out and not satisfied that their students had learned very much through so-called 'distance learning.'

Now that some plans for reopening the schools across the country are coming to light, we hear that many are considering a sort of hybrid model of some days in the classroom and some days 'distance learning'.

Are any of your schools offering additional training for more effective 'remote teaching' or do you feel you'll be left to your own devices for developing 'distance learning' work that students will do when they are not in the classroom?

Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

No
Old 06-20-2020, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We were offered and I am taking additional training in the district's online platform of choice, but as far as actual online teaching strategies there has been nothing formal.

Each year we have an annual tech day where teachers present on how they use tech in their rooms. I am guessing it may be remote learning related this year, but it is up to what teachers want to share. I will attend virtually if there is anything like that.

I was able to collaborate with other teachers like me (self-contained special ed) in the district, which was my biggest source of information and techniques during remote learning. But that was all teacher driven.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-20-2020, 05:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have an ed tech dept that has put together videos on many different topics that are available for any of us. So far we have no word on what any of the models beings thrown around for us to go back with and training so far has been on us.

I hope that we get to train ourselves and not have district mandated training. None of us knows everything, but between us, we all have a great knowledge basis. We can get ourselves up to speed.

There are some Facebook groups putting online trainings on this summer. Many of them are getting ready to start.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

Tools, not techniques
Old 06-20-2020, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Our district has done how to use tools Online learning, but there isn't much that can be done about pedagogy. There is not any decent research on how to teach/learn effectively Online.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-20-2020, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My district tried, but personally I just think no matter what you do it's not going to even hold a candle to in person learning. At the beginning we had training on google classroom and seesaw as well as apps to integrate- educreations, flipgrid, etc.

Then they tried to problem solve as we went along, but most things just weren't successful. We found kids just weren't watching instructional videos. Even the ones turning things in would do whatever the assignment was, but not actually watch the instruction. So then they kept telling us to make videos and assignments shorter and shorter.

Towards the end my P was saying that we should think about what we'd typically do in one lesson, and that would be an entire week of online learning lessons. They also wanted us to do more "fun stuff" to try to make it more engaging/interesting for kids. Interesting, because that is so not the style of my building normally. We are anything but fun .

So even if all of that works and the kids participate as expected because it's short and fun- they're getting the equivalent of one lesson for that subject each week. Especially with districts considering doing online learning for an entire school year next year (or at minimum, the first semester) you can't just provide that amount of instruction and then turn around and expect kids to make growth like they're in regular school.

I did have two kids that I met with 1:1 via zoom and those kids did make good progress because they were getting actual teaching. And because it was 1:1, I could get a TON of stuff done in a short amount of time with them. However, I offered that to my entire caseload and only 2 of 25 kids signed up.

I could see districts trying to mandate more "live" instruction next year, but that brings up all kinds of equity issues. Not everyone is able to log on and participate at the expected time, at least for elementary as it would require a parent to be somewhat on top of it and available to make sure the kid gets on at the right time and sticks with the lesson the whole time.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Veggirl

Upcoming
Old 06-21-2020, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I will be involved in such a training this coming week. We'll see how it goes
Veggirl is offline   Reply With Quote