Help

BusyBoard

Being part of an interview panel

>

hikinghiker

Being part of an interview panel
Old 06-20-2020, 10:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

One of our team members is leaving. My P emailed me and my co-teachers letting us know that he'd be interviewing someone for a position on our grade level and we were welcome to join, but he understands if we're not able to.

Should I join in?

Some relevant info:

- I started at this school in January, so I'm not super knowledge about much about the school yet. Especially considering I only taught there for a little over two months before we shut down
- Since I'm still 'new' it would feel weird interviewing someone for the school
- I just finished my second year teaching. Other than the few interviews I took to get a job, I've never witnessed and interview and wouldn't even know what to say. I can be kinda awkward too when put on the spot and wouldn't that be embarrassing
- I don't know if the other grade level teachers agreed and I really can't ask them since I don't have their numbers. I feel like it would be kinda awkward if I was the only one there, since I'm the newest one

As a plus though, it would be kinda nice to be there and connect, however briefly, to the P and AP. And it would be nice to meet my potential co-teacher.

Advice?

hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-20-2020, 10:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I would definitely go! I've done a lot of interviews at my current school as well as in a previous building I worked in, and it's cool to see the "other side." This may also earn you some brownie points with your P, and you'll get to meet whoever you'll be working with next year.

Here, HR departments are pretty strict about how interviews go. We have set questions and we can only ask those. We can repeat them if asked, but not clarify or give any feedback to the candidate, and we can't ask a follow up question if it's not on the sheet. This is so that each candidate gets the same interview experience and we're not opening ourselves up to discrimination claims. Same in my previous district.

In my current school, before the interviews start we decide who is asking which questions (typically we start with the P and then go in a circle). We are given a page with the questions on it to take notes. Keep those professional because in my district they collect them for the candidate's file.

At the end candidates ask questions and depending on what it is, it may make more sense for me to answer than the P. For example, people often ask something such as, "What does a typical day look like?" If it's something you're not sure about, your P will answer.

After the candidates leave we discuss strengths and weaknesses and make a decision. Your P will likely be looking for feedback on who you'd like to work with. You don't need to be forceful here, but share an opinion. The Ps I've worked with have been clear that they will make the final decision, but the team has input.

I would be surprised if the P wants you to write your own interview questions and ask those. But if you're nervous, when you reply back ask if there is anything you need to prepare ahead of time.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 06-21-2020, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That is common practice in my building. Teachers on the team that is hiring normally participate in the interview process so they have input into their future teammate. I think you should do it. If you feel like you aren't as informed as your other teammates about your school, you still have valuable perspective and input you can share.
WGReading is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 06-21-2020, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would do it even if I was new to the school/teaching. You get to meet the people who you might be working with, interact with your P/VP and colleagues, it helps you should you ever want to leave this school you will have an idea of questions for your interview, etc.

I agree with pp, ask your P what you need to prepare.

Good luck, you will do fine.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 06-22-2020, 05:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree that you should join also. I did a few years ago and enjoyed the experience. You do have recent experience with interviewing that will help. You could research some interview questions or some will be provided for you. Let others answer the questions posed if you don't feel knowledgeable enough or comfortable. You'll hopefully be given info on the candidates prior to. I wish we were given that a day prior so I could look over resumes more than a few minutes before the interview. We also were given a sheet to of questions and we wrote responses and our thoughts on that. Spent time in between candidates to discuss our thoughts a bit. Then spent time afterwards with our recommendations.

Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

ih8

Old 06-22-2020, 01:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Joining would be beneficial for the reasons others have mentioned. The only concern is that if you recommend someone to be hired and they turn out to be awful, you will be blamed (or blame yourself). That happened to me. The person even became my evaluator for three years so far. Next year will make four years. Needless to say, it has not been a positive experience.
ih8 is offline   Reply With Quote