Help

The VENT

Evaulations during remote learning?

>

readandweep

Evaulations during remote learning?
Old 06-19-2020, 01:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone been evaluated during remote learning?

I can't see anyone just letting this go, especially if we do remote learning and have several administrators devoted to in-person behaviors. People will have to justify their jobs.

Supposedly my administration still did evaluations during remote learning, including student growth.

I did not want to stress any of my co-workers out by asking about this, so I thought I would ask PT?

readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

oreocat

Old 06-19-2020, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

No evaluations through governor's orders. I already had all of my evaluations for the year, but some did not. If we have to go digital for the fall, I am sure there will be some form of evaluation. Our governor and legislature already took our state tests off the table for next year so I am not for sure how they are going to evaluate for student growth.
oreocat is offline   Reply With Quote
MissyTeach

MissyTeach

Evaluation During Remote Learning
Old 06-19-2020, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

No, our governor put a pause on all evaluations and assessments.

Teacherbee_4

Nope
Old 06-19-2020, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

As far as I know, all schools around here did not do evaluations this year. If a teacher was already an improvement plan, they wouldn't lose their job, but would have to remain on the plan for the following year since there wasn't a formal evaluation.

My school had us do a self reflection based on the standards. We just reflected on a performance for each standard. Then, there was a final question where we discussed/reflected on how distance learning went.

I'm curious how your school evaluated student growth. Even with E-learning, did they still take a benchmark test or something? While at home? If that was the case, that's ridiculous and totally inaccurate, but of course, I know I'm preaching to the choir!
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Old 06-19-2020, 06:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My state Department of Education Superintendent of Schools

mandated a statewide halt on all evaluations for teachers & administrators.

They wanted to be compassionate & considerate of school staff during this time.

Last edited by Dr. A; 06-19-2020 at 07:04 PM..
Dr. A is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-19-2020, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our state department said evals did not need to be completed for 19-20. They were clear that just because they weren't required to be turned in (we have some stupid "accountability" laws ) doesn't mean schools/districts couldn't choose to do them anyway.

My district didn't do them- I'm not aware if anyone else did. I had already done my formal eval. Our student growth piece is based on DIBELS and that testing wasn't able to be completed remotely, so that wasn't reported either. We had a ten minute "EOY meeting" with our evaluator but we didn't go over a rubric or anything. Basically they gave everyone some compliments and asked us to reflect on the year.

It didn't impact me at all, but it did actually kind of screw over probationary teachers. In my district, you need three years of satisfactory evals in order to be moved to non-probationary. Since no evals were done this year, it won't count towards that which effectively means all of the those teachers will now have to wait 4 years while the rest of us did only 3.

That will also be a much bigger deal moving forward with budget cuts. According to the contract, probationary teachers have no protection whatsoever against RIFs. The district has no obligation to consider seniority for them (i.e. a 3rd year vs. a 1st year), no obligation to allow them to have other open positions in the district, and no obligation to call them back if they're initially let go but then the budget improves or more positions open up. Non-renewal decisions were already made before schools closed (our deadline is in March) so it didn't save anyone who would potentially be non-renewed either.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 06-19-2020, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We did not have observations during distance learning. Our end of year "eval" was super basic, and included lots of copy/paste verbiage about Covid closures.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

LoveMyNature

Eval
Old 06-19-2020, 09:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I got evaluated. It was based on the observations and student growth before the quarantine. I had to send in certain paperwork and data but it was all preCovid.

I passed. She’s not getting rid of me yet.
LoveMyNature is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 06-19-2020, 09:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don’t know if teachers had evaluations during distance learning in my district. I am a teaching assistant, and all of us got the standard end of the year evaluation which was based on admin talking with teachers each of us worked with. We were given some leeway on the distance learning since some of us were not able to help teachers during this time. My evaluation was a lot better than I thought it would be.

Any teacher who received an unsatisfactory evaluation in our district before the shut down, did not have it count on their record.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

JenInWV

Old 06-20-2020, 05:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My state refused to waive them and admin were required to complete them. We had to submit some of our lesson plans from the closure to be evaluated. The teacher's association told us if anything was not done correctly or if evaluations were unfair, to let them know and they would assist.

JenInWV is online now   Reply With Quote

BettyAnna

No but..
Old 06-21-2020, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

A friend's daughter is fairly new to teaching. She has been teaching for two years in my district and her principal came into at least one of her zoom meetings with her class to observe her. I have tenure and we are only required to have one observation a year. It never happened this year. I got my end of the year eval and it was based on what happened prior to our shutdown.
BettyAnna is offline   Reply With Quote

Violets2

Old 06-23-2020, 11:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Our district let last year's eval replace this years.
Violets2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jessica123

Louisiana
Old 07-03-2020, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Our governor put a pause on all evaluations and assessments
Jessica123 is offline   Reply With Quote