How exactly do the parents think this is going to work? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

How exactly do the parents think this is going to work?

>

GreyhoundGirl

How exactly do the parents think this is going to work?
Old 06-23-2020, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've now read posts from parents in 3 different districts around me expressing their feelings that their kids can't/won't wear masks all day and they will be remote learning. First of all, where did they get the idea remote learning was going to be done in addition to in class? Secondly, how do parents and school district officials expect classroom teachers to plan for in class and remote learning simultaneously?

GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-23-2020, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our large district is adding k-8 online curriculum for parents to choose, but it will be online all the time.

Now we find we will start with a hybrid model with 50% of kids at a time. I canít wrap my head around how that is going to work. 50% of class in class while the rest at doing at home activities. Do teachers teach the same thing each group of 50% students? More of a flipped model where students at home watch videos (created by who) and practice skills at school? Reinforcing activities done at home? I just donít know how this will work.

It will definite not be what we had last year where video meetings were more for checking in to see students were okay more than educational. If a teacher is teaching a group of students, they are not available to help students or parents at home. One day would be planning, and I think that will be needed for planning, not putting out fires with students and parents working at home.

I can only imagine some of the issues and demands.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-23-2020, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I get we need to go back (trust me, no one wants to be back more than me ), but at what point are we shoving a square peg in a round hole and forcing something that probably shouldnít happen? If we need to make this many changes and accommodations itís probably not ok.

Itís like when you need to modify a curriculum for a student so much the curriculum no longer resembles the grade level curriculum. Thatís when itís time to look at a new placement.

kahluablast

Old 06-23-2020, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Truthfully, our area is pretty low in numbers. I would be okay going back as normal.

I might need to take extra time off when I manage to visit my parents in order to be safe.

I know that isnít reasonable.

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-23-2020, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I know youíre being a little tongue in cheek, but thatís totally reasonable.

sonoma

Old 06-23-2020, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our schools already have a K-12 online program. I think more people will sign up. Other parents have stated they would home school for the 2020-21 year.

Many do not see the point in having students go to school 1-2 days a week. They want to wait until schools can fully open.

If I were in charge of the world I would send k-2 kids to campus with very small classes and keep everyone else online.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 06-23-2020, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
If I were in charge of the world I would send k-2 kids to campus with very small classes and keep everyone else online.
That's one of the models my district is considering. I like it.

I suspect they can reassign older grade teachers to younger grades to keep class size down, and older grade teachers could have larger class sizes online.

The other option is FT primary and hybrid older grades.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 06-23-2020, 06:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

K-2 and self contained sped. And the rest can be online. I love it.
Teach9821

Teach9821

I wish it was online
Old 06-23-2020, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I wish it was all online. But live streaming class is a bit stressful. We likely will be doing that but then also having all kids on Google Classroom whether in or outside of class. So basically being observed on the daily with live stream - it was a nightmare being watched for small groups twice a week but now everyday? So all kids will be included in the regular school day and participate. I am not looking forward to this. Also new studies came out about the risk of staying in the same indoor air - so what about us? It just continues to bum me out that teachers safety is never considered.

Haley23

Old 06-23-2020, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

All of the districts around here are planning to offer a fully remote option regardless of what in person learning looks like. Our super has said teachers will NOT be doing online instruction and in person instruction at the same time, which I was super relieved to hear because I feel like that's being proposed in a lot of other districts. Her idea is to have say 1 2nd grade teacher for the entire district (small district) stay home and do the online class for any 2nd grade student in the district who chooses that. We were asked to email our principals if we were interested in online teaching spots.

I suspect we'll have very few parents choose the online option just because frankly they need the childcare. However, on my town's FB page (different than the town I teach in) there a TON of parents claiming they will do online if there are a lot of restrictions around what school looks like. I can't say I really blame them. It's all hypothetical since I don't have kids, but if I did and had the ability to have them stay home rather than go back to what's being thrown around (masks all day, 6 feet apart all day, no specials/recess, no play, sitting at your desk all day, lunch at your desk, etc.) I'd do that too.

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-23-2020, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have heard a lot saying they will homeschool or do online, but I wonder how that will turn out when it actually happens. I think many are a lot of talk, but will send them to school when the time comes.

Ima Teacher

Old 06-23-2020, 08:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I see a lot of early elementary parents say they are going to homeschool. They know their child canít follow the guidelines. One parent says she is keeping her first grader home, but sending her middle schooler. (DH says that is because nobody wants middle schoolers at home. )

We are set to do a hybrid model. Half kids coming MT, half coming WR, and everyone remote on F. Now what that looks like in practice, who knows.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-23-2020, 10:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

We had parents assuming that we would be offering remote, hybrid, and fully in person all at once and they could choose which they want. I'm not sure what planet they are living on, but who in their right mind thinks that's even feasible?
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Old 06-23-2020, 10:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I think thereís a lot of bluster right now about what people will and wonít be doing. Parents around here are furious that the state is mandating masks, but equally furious that theyíll be expected to go back to work and have to pay for childcare. I have a feeling there will be plenty of kids in seats come August. IMHO, the masks, while annoying, just arenít that big of a deal.
Englishish is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Parents
Old 06-24-2020, 01:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Parents may say they are going to homeschool, but the great majority won't do so once school starts.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Online-only option?
Old 06-24-2020, 02:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

For those of you that officially have the online option, did the state guidelines suggest that or did your district?

Our state just issued guidelines and recommended the districts have in-person school as much as possible under pretty strict social distancing measures.

It sounds like a lot of the tough calls are being put on districts.

I guess that makes sense as our state's districts vary so much in size.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 06-24-2020, 04:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

My state already has an incredibly robust online program for K-12. The offer full time and part time options.

My district also has its own fully online option. My district has sent out multiple phone calls urging parents to sign up for the districtís online option if they donít feel comfortable sending their child(ren) back to campus. They are extremely concerned about out funding for the year and at least if parents choose the countyís virtual option we still get funding for those students vs if they go with the state program.

I also donít see the feasibility in enforcing kids to wear masks. I just see myself spending more time enforcing it than actually teaching. The cleanliness of the actual masks comes into play as well.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Old 06-24-2020, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Quote:
For those of you that officially have the online option, did the state guidelines suggest that or did your district?

My district is a large district &

has decided to begin an online only format 3-12 for parents who don’t feel comfortable sending their students to a schools or hybrid model

My district is hiring all new positions for the new online school (ie, administration, teachers, SPED teachers, counselor for students/parents)

I am really impressed with how many thoughts, time & details my district has put into re-opening options.

Since April, my district has been working on re-opening plans.

Last edited by Dr. A; 06-24-2020 at 12:25 PM..
Dr. A is online now   Reply With Quote
Dr. A
Old 06-24-2020, 05:03 AM
This message has been deleted by Dr. A. Reason: Duplicated Posts

2teach2

Old 06-24-2020, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Our district sent out surveys to parents and teachers. They've said that if we have enough parents who are interested in online only learning that teachers who are not comfortable being in the classroom (over 60, underlying health issues, etc.) would teach the online component while teachers who are comfortable with in-person teaching would do so.

The district has come up with 4 possible scenarios. I'm trying to just enjoy my summer and will worry about school in August!
2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 06-24-2020, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

If districts do half of students in school and half remote learning, how can one teacher do both? The remote learning will just be assigned work. One colleague wonders if they will have us record us teaching all day and have the students at home watch. I donít like that idea at all.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 06-24-2020, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

One thought on simultaneous e-learning and in person learning would be to have the students who are at home connect in to the live classroom where they would see and hear the teacher and the students who are in the classroom along with other students online at home. I am not sure exactly how that could work and how much it could cost.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-24-2020, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Large district here. Online school is to keep students in the district. Money thing, you know.

As to a hybrid model where half the kids come 2 days and then work from home And then switch and the other half come in- we havenít had official guidance, but my thoughts are that it would work more like a flipped model. Kids would watch instructional videos and new material and then practice skills in class when they were in. They would also do reinforcing activities and continued practice at home. From a teaching stand point, not sure I can apply that to a years worth of content and exactly how it would work. I think I would prefer to have an online curriculum and use the class time to reinforce and augment the online curriculum.

twinmom95

Old 06-24-2020, 08:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Quote:
have the students who are at home connect in to the live classroom where they would see and hear the teacher and the students who are in the classroom along with other students online at home. I am not sure exactly how that could work and how much it could cost

My elem. School could not handle the bandwidth needed for that. When one grade is all on Chromebooks for testing, the rest of us need to be off the internet, especially streaming websites.
twinmom95 is online now   Reply With Quote

bulldoglab112

Old 06-24-2020, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I can't see remote learning being an option for my rural district. Most of my students are in households with computer access only through the parents' cell phone. Imagine 3 kids trying to do Google Classroom, Zoom meetings, etc. In addition, internet service is expensive and not so great. To finish out the school year, our district provided teachers with hot spots, but I don't see how they could provide them for all households.

Since my county has had few cases, I see us going back to school as normal (with some accommodations), of course.
bulldoglab112 is offline   Reply With Quote

mrsd5

Our school district
Old 06-24-2020, 01:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Just voted last night to purchase face shields for all students and staff. Of course we are much smaller than you. They also have a parent, teacher, staff, community group that will all contribute their ideas before they come up with a final plan.
mrsd5 is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 06-24-2020, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Quote:
One thought on simultaneous e-learning and in person learning would be to have the students who are at home connect in to the live classroom where they would see and hear the teacher and the students who are in the classroom along with other students online at home
This sounds good in theory but there are a few hiccups. One big one comes to mind - something called FERPA. If kids are streaming your live class at home how are we ensuring confidentiality in our classrooms. Who knows who is watching the students interact with you in the classroom and observing modifications and interventions. I really don't see this as being a possibility, I know one of my SPED parents and their advocates would be all over this.

Last edited by all41; 06-24-2020 at 06:23 PM..
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

LoveMyNature

Everyone else online?
Old 06-24-2020, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Who is taking care of those kids? Where do teachers kids go? If Iím teaching K I canít be at hole helping my 4th grader... or making sure heís not into trouble!

So now we get into daycare....

Ok. So how many parents will leave their kids home alone to do online work? Yeah a 10 year old will do it online with noooo accountability.

Ok parents are home. Then that would work.

I cannon even fathom that online would be an option for elementary. Ridiculous.
LoveMyNature is online now   Reply With Quote

LoveMyNature

Exactly!!!!
Old 06-24-2020, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

You think I want my sons speech issues to be blasted in other peopleís homes? Nope
LoveMyNature is online now   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Good point
Old 06-24-2020, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I hadnít even thought of the FERPA considerations. And the kids who canít be photographed, etc.
Englishish is online now   Reply With Quote

jazzer

Old 06-24-2020, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I didnít think of FERPA either. Shane on me after 12 weeks of educational professional development videos.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-24-2020, 10:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Quote:
Here it is coming from the state. IDK if it's an outright mandate or just very heavily "suggested" (I know the governor has said something in numerous briefings). Every district plan I've seen has had a fully remote option in it.

Like a pp mentioned, funding is also an issue. If parents have the ability to keep kids home, offering an online option at least keeps them attached to the school so we can get their per pupil funding, rather than having parents just decide to homeschool on their own/not enroll their child in school at all.

Nothing is finalized yet but the working plan in my district was to have teachers that do online only and then have the rest of the teachers do in person only. No one is wanting to do a hybrid model so I don't see that happening. The governor also came out and said that if schools are doing hybrid, they're responsible for childcare on "off" days. Well, how in the world does that work? It doesn't- that basically forces districts into providing full time in person learning. After that announcement numerous districts came out and said they'd be doing full time in person/5 days per week at least for elementary.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote