Help

BusyBoard

Chemicals in the Classroom?

>

Sleddog

Chemicals in the Classroom?
Old 06-23-2020, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering if any of you have found out what your school is using to "clean" your rooms? Our school ordered these machines that spray a chemical throughout the classroom. We have to be out of the room for 12 hours and then the teachers have to wipe down the residue in the morning! The label says it kills fish and animals!! You CAN NOT let any of the chemicals touch any part of your skin (I feel for our wonderful custodians).

I was THRILLED to find out that our principal is sending the machines back. The CDC says soap and water is the most effective thing - so I am hoping they will just let us clean our desks and chairs with an old fashioned bucket of suds!

All of these chemicals can NOT be good for us humans!

Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 06-23-2020, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Oh my word, that initial idea sounds terrible! I'm not sure what all my school is using, but I do know they have bleach sprayers that aerosolize it.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 06-23-2020, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The week before we were closed due to Covid all teachers were given a spray bottle and some towles to clean desks and shared surfaces. We were told to bring the bottle to the kitchen for refills when needed and to change out towels. The bottle was filled with a water bleach solution in the same ratio they used to sanitize dishes. We were instructed to spray desks, chairs, door knobs and any other hard shared surface areas when kids went to specials and recess and to wipe dry after 10 min. We were also instructed to spray everything again before we left for the day and let the surfaces air dry overnight. I assume we will be doing the same thing when/if we go back. I was already doing something similar before I left each day but not during the day. My few minutes of prep time was used to clean and pee each day.

I would not like the machines you described and glad they were sent back. Think of all the time you would spend covering soft surfaces such as books, toys, games, and paper each night, and wiping everything down again in the morning. Most definitely not something that is suitable for a school setting.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Old 06-23-2020, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Iím concerned about the sanitizing product. I had to leave the room when the janitor cleaned the room before Covid-19 because the product aggravated my asthma. In fact, wearing a mask when I swim is also aggravating my asthma. Bleach water may not be ok for me.

I should not be expected to clean my room except when Iím there with students. Spraying, waiting 10 minutes and wiping sounds like an extra job for me.

Just one more thing to add to my worry list!
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 06-23-2020, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Quote:
I should not be expected to clean my room except when I’m there with students. Spraying, waiting 10 minutes and wiping sounds like an extra job for me.

Just one more thing to add to my worry list!
You are right. We were all feeling so unsure about what was going to happen, things were happening very fast when Covid was first diagnosed in our region. No one expected this and for this long. Things may change when we go back but I doubt it.

all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

Old 06-26-2020, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I saw a photo of a child's legs from sitting in a shopping cart at a grocery store. They had used chemicals to clean the carts between customers. The child had on shorts so her skin was exposed to the cart getting in and out.

Since soap breaks the bonds in the virus, I agree that hot water and soap are better choices.
aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote