Help

BusyBoard

No painting allowed

>

NerdGirl

No painting allowed
Old 06-25-2020, 05:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone! Iím changing buildings this year. My new room is a drab off-white color, and I am not allowed to paint. I know Iím going to miss the lovely, calming colors of my old room. Does anyone have any tried and true methods for adding color to the walls without permanently altering them? The walls are cinderblock.

NerdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

I've never done it
Old 06-25-2020, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

but a coworker covered an entire wall with a roll paper that looked like shiplap. I'm not sure what she used to stick it up there (hot glue?), but it stayed all year. It, along with the carefully color coded accessories she had in the room gave the room a very calming atmosphere.

(I am adding, we all wondered why she didn't get caught by the fire marshall. It did break local laws.)

Last edited by booklady57; 06-26-2020 at 04:46 AM.. Reason: Addition
booklady57 is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Fire marshall?
Old 06-25-2020, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Before you make any decisions about covering the walls with cloth, posters, wallpaper, whatever, be sure that you know the fire marshall's regulations. Around here, there are fairly strict limitations imposed by the fire codes for schools.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

forkids2

Old 06-26-2020, 04:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is just a suggestion that might work for you if you are not allowed to use paper/cloth/etc. on your walls.

I got an inexpensive set of twinkle lights from Amazon for $16.99. They were O K with the fire marshal because they're battery operated. I used them on the ceiling for nap time (Pre-K), but you could put them on a wall easily - they're very lightweight. I used the 3M Command light clips.
They're LED so the batteries last a good while. They are remote controlled and have several functions to choose from and even a timer function.

They're calming and would at least brighten one drab wall.
Here is the link for the set I got - they have others as well: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
forkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

Old 06-26-2020, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I use hooks that attach to the ceiling to hang my periodic table on fishing line about 24 inches from the ceiling. That meets fire code where I live. Maybe you could use the hooks to hang some greenery along with those lights suggested.

Another idea...painters tape comes in all colors. What about creating a design on the walls using the tape???

Maybe these will help with some ideas. https://dcf.wisconsin.gov/files/youn...ll-display.pdf
https://schoolgirlstyle.com/how-to-d...fire-marshall/
https://www.tdi.texas.gov/fire/docum...schoolsafe.pdf
https://www.whirlwindsteel.com/blog/...gs-an-overview

aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote

NerdGirl

Old 06-26-2020, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You guys are great! I’m not moving districts, just buildings, so I know I don’t have to worry a whole lot about fire code. I’ve always had fairy lights on my ceiling, but I’ve never thought about doing a wall of lights. That’s an interesting idea. I’ve also been trying to find some greenery.

The shiplap idea led me to a discovery of Better Than Paper. Has anyone used that before?

Thanks for the ideas. Keep ‘em coming!
NerdGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Old 06-26-2020, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I've used Better than Paper on my bulletin boards. I love it and will continue to use it. It holds up very well to staples, etc,. and does not fade. One of our first grade teachers has it applied straight on her wall, in addition to on her bulletin boards. She basically created another large bulletin board where she didn't have one.
prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote