Help

BusyBoard

Quiet ball

>

Teacherbee_4

Quiet ball
Old 06-26-2020, 06:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I love playing Quiet ball with my class (you may have heard it called silent ball). Basically, the class spreads out and someone starts with throwing the ball in. If you talk, you're out. If you miss the catch and it's a good throw, you're out. If it's a bad throw (too short, too far, too hard, not aimed at someone, bounces on a desk, etc.), you're out. The last one standing wins.

My class has always LOVED this and it's a great incentive for them. I'm wondering if this will be possible if we return to school in the fall. I supposed I'd have to have to sanitize the ball before and after we play. Should I have the kids wash/sanitize their hands before play, too? That seems like a lot of extra time, but I get the precaution. Or should we not play it all since throughout one game it's going from kid to kid without being sanitized?

This makes me wonder how games in gym, at recess, etc. will work. Sure, you can give each kid a ball to practice shooting, throwing, etc., but to play an actual game of say basketball, you'd only use one ball and everyone would be touching it. Would that be okay, provided the ball is sanitized before and after use and kids wash/sanitize before playing?

ETA: I know this is the least of my worries and this is small in comparison to other things we need to be planning for and the issue at hand, so I'm sorry if this seems petty. It's just something that popped into my head!

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

aggie'swife

Old 06-26-2020, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How about heads up - 7 up? Touch with your elbow instead of fingers.
aggie'swife is offline   Reply With Quote

SDT

Old 06-26-2020, 07:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would not think quiet ball would be a possibility because of everyone touching the same item. My understanding is we wonít have any type of shared materials this year.

And in regards to touch in with your elbow? Weíve been told not to do that either because weíre teaching them to sneeze and cough into their elbows so we donít want them touching with her elbows.

At this point, Iím more worried about the mitigation strategies than the virus. It seems so impossible, but I have a friend thatís doing it at her preschool with 2 to 5-year-olds. Apparently itís difficult but not impossible.
SDT is online now   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 06-26-2020, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Unfortunately you probably won't be able to play that game this year, like you said they are all touching the same ball. I like to play that game with the students too. It is easy so all can be included, doesn't require a lot of setup or material, and its QUIET!

Every thing we do will be affected.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sleddog

Silent Ball
Old 06-26-2020, 02:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Silent Ball wouldn't be allowed with our current state guidelines.

A popular game with my second graders is 4 Corners. If you don't know the game - here is how you would play it in person with normal conditions. You write the numbers 1-4 on separate sheets of paper. Students stand up and move to corner 1,2, 3,4 in the classroom. You turn the numbers upside down, mix them up, and draw one. All of the students who are standing in that corner number sit down. The students who are still standing move to another corner and the game continues until 1 student is standing.

We played it on Zoom - we made up rules for 'corners'.

I am thinking of playing this in my room when we return. Corner #1 might be sitting at your desk, #2 might be sitting under your desk, #3 might be stand to the left of the desk and #4 might be stand to the right. Something like that. We all have to be creative with the new rules!

Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote