Help

BusyBoard

Tutoring a First grader

>

storytime85

Tutoring a First grader
Old 06-27-2020, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My neighbor asked if I would be willing to tutor her son a couple times a week. He just completed first grade, but his teacher wants him to repeat first grade. I am a retired teacher and way out of touch with what books would be appropriate for him to practice reading. He obviously struggles and has no interest, so I am wondering if there are some tried and true easier grade level books I can look for at the library. Some really funny books or anything with fishing or trucks. I have gotten rid of all my materials, so I am limited to what I can find in the library. Thanks for any help with this! Also, anything I should specifically make sure we cover? I will post on the first grade board too, but I thought there might be more readers on this board.

storytime85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Evrmoi21

Old 06-27-2020, 01:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Piggie and Elephant books by Mo Willems really interested my reluctant reader when he was starting out. The are at an end of Grade 1 level.
Fly Guy is another series that my reluctant reader liked at that age.
Evrmoi21 is offline   Reply With Quote

donna

Old 06-27-2020, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The books mentioned above are high interest and a lot of fun for reluctant readers.

If you need books at a beginning first grade level The Biscuit book series may work.
donna is offline   Reply With Quote

SaraFirst

Old 06-27-2020, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Would you be able to test him to figure out his reading level? Then, you could see which books the library might have on his level. Maybe check the nonfiction section, they are always popular with my first graders.
SaraFirst is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 06-27-2020, 02:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Speaking as a retired 2nd grade teacher, it's great if incoming second graders know all closed, open, r influenced and silent e syllable with a good start with vowel team words and some two syllable words. One of the cheaper ways to start is to have his mom buy a set of used Journeys Decodable Readers for Grade 1 (Units 1-6) from Amazon. That way you will be able to see where his sticking points are. They can usually be found for about $10-14 each.

A more expensive but more focused suggestion would be to use the Barton System or the All About Reading program which has companion readers.

Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

KetchupChips

Suggestion
Old 06-27-2020, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Iíve used this book before to tutor kids in my classroom. ďTeach your child to read in 100 easy lessonsĒ which will methodically, explicitly teach the sounds and blending. This is for struggling kids. Itís ideal if you could do it daily, maybe mom could do the other days. Practice it first since itís scripted. It really works. See if your library has a copy.

Is this child have difficulty only in reading?

Good luck!
KetchupChips is online now   Reply With Quote

momteach310

Old 06-27-2020, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I tutored a very reluctant reader many years ago this age. He liked non fiction but really liked joke and riddle books for kids. He was very motivated with those. Heís married now with a baby... it was a long time ago.
momteach310 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sleddog

books
Old 06-28-2020, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Go, Dog, Go

Green Eggs and Ham

Both of those books are fun for partner reading. Yes, kids eventually memorize these books -but it helps kids feel like readers especially given how long the books are.

Do you think he would prefer online reading over reading with a book? Get Epic is a site with a ton of free books to read - and some of the books can be read to him.
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Get him a sketch book to use as a journal
Old 06-28-2020, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

If he likes trucks and fishing, see if you can find some stickers and/or pictures to stick on a page, and let him write about the pictures. Have him write one or two sentences a day. If you have a sketch book to use as a journal, he can put his stickers and pictures on the page, write at the bottom of the page, and practice hard words on the opposite page. This, of course, would be in addition to books that he would read. You might also want to get some magnetic letters that he can manipulate.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Tutoring
Old 06-28-2020, 09:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My reluctant reader boys also loved the Fly Guy and Elephant and Piggie series, joke/riddle books and non-fiction. My library has all the easy readers (Scholastic, Step Into Reading, I Can Read, etc) in one bookcase which makes it a lot easier to scan the titles.

Since they want him to repeat, he's probably missing some important phonics skills. You might want to give him the Quick Phonics Screener to see where he is and what he might be struggling with.

https://mafiadoc.com/quick-phonics-s...56d0fe780.html

jov is offline   Reply With Quote