Help

BusyBoard

Anyone run a board/card game club?

>

TexTeacher

Anyone run a board/card game club?
Old 06-28-2020, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know it probably won’t happen next year, but I wanted to start a game club at my intermediate school (5th/6th grade) last year and just never got around to it.

Does anyone run a game club? I was wondering how you run it? Do kids just meet once a week and bring games to play or is it more organized and focused on specific game(s) each week?

TexTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 06-28-2020, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This sounds like fun!!! If I were doing it if let kids choose. It's not for a competition so letting them makes it more relaxed.

I'd try to have some games on hand to start...yard sales, thrift stores, friends closet clean outs, etc. There are some great card games too. Puzzles are also great fun!

If you let them bring a game have a form they need to fill out and submit to get game approved so you can make sure it's school appropriate. Have form due a couple days before the club day.

I'd also have some game day guidelines set up in advance. You want it fun, but not a babysitting service.

You could also offer incentives, if you want, when a kid goes out if his comfort zone and tries a new game.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 06-29-2020, 04:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I did in middle school ( grades 6-8). I had a bunch of board games for them to choose from and they could bring their own if they got it approved from me ahead of time. I ran tournaments from time to time for easy to obtain games like Connect 4 or checkers. Occasionally, I would offer to teach kids a certain game or if I was too busy I would get a reliable kid teach them. I would recommend trying through donations or grants getting a stash of easy to understand games like UNO and games that can be completed in a short time. For example, monopoly won't work, but monopoly card will. Traditional Scrabble could be frustrating for kids to learn, but playing without the board or playing Bannagrams works. Make sure you have both a schedule and structure for them or chaos can quickly happen. I enlisted some kids to be "experts" in a particular games so they could answer questions and settle small disagreements without me. I enlisted some kids to be assistants to help me manage passing out games and picking up. Leave plenty of time for clean-up.

This was a great club for a huge variety of kids to belong to- many who often felt left out in school. I had up to 40 kids at a time. Good luck!
Sam5 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Yes
Old 07-05-2020, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have had a game club for several years. I don't think we will be able to have clubs this year though. I carefully select games that are academic in nature, that build strategic thinking, and are fun! Some of the games I teach them are Scrabble, Rummikub, Racko, Qwirkle, Othello, and I was just getting ready to teach them how to play Chickapig when we had to close. One thing I have learned is that they think they know how to play the games, but they really don't, so I slowly introduce each game and make sure they know how to follow the rules. I always start with Scrabble. Then, in following meetings, I play a different game with 2 or 3 students until they all know how to play the games. Once I introduce a new game, those students can teach it to other students. My club is for enrichment purposes, so high achieving students are invited to join. We normally meet twice a month because that is all I can fit in my schedule.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 07-05-2020, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had some students do this twice a week during lunch recess. It started because of all the boys, only one absolutely hated sports and he was feeling very lonely. I knew there were others that merely tolerated the sports games, so I suggested he start a game club. He had a few boys and a couple of girls immediately join him.

All I did was be in the same room as them.

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote