Help

BusyBoard

American Academy of Pediatrics/COVID

>

PrivateEyes

American Academy of Pediatrics/COVID
Old 06-28-2020, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Here's an interesting read from the American Academy of Pediatrics concerning school reopenings. It has some eye opening advice:

Quote:
the AAP strongly advocates that all policy considerations for the coming school year should start with a goal of having students physically present in school. The importance of inperson learning is well-documented, and there is already evidence of the negative impacts on children because of school closures in the spring of 2020. Lengthy time away from school and associated interruption of supportive services often results in social isolation, making it difficult for schools to identify and address important learning deficits as well as child and adolescent physical or sexual abuse, substance use, depression, and suicidal ideation. This, in turn, places children and adolescents at considerable risk of morbidity and, in some cases, mortality. Beyond the educational impact and social impact of school closures, there has been substantial impact on food security and physical activity for children and families.
Quote:
" In many school settings, 6 feet between students is not feasible without limiting the number of students. Evidence suggests that spacing as close as 3 feet may approach the benefits of 6 feet of space, particularly if students are wearing face coverings and are asymptomatic.
They suggest adults should continue to use six foot spacing, particularly with other adults.

https://services.aap.org/en/pages/20...on-in-schools/

PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-28-2020, 12:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

This is so much bigger than just protecting everyone from covid. There are so many things that need to be taken into consideration, and this points out so many critical ones. I've been so worried for my kids that I know are in unstable homes, don't always have food available, live among abuse, drugs, alcohol, etc. Schools provide so much, as well as a way for parents to go to work and be able to feed their families. We can't look at school opening through a middle class lens with stay at home parents or nannies and caregivers available to the kids.
Sbkangas5 is online now   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 06-28-2020, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
We can't look at school opening through a middle class lens with stay at home parents or nannies and caregivers available to the kids.
This is a very excellent point. Many, many people cannot afford daycare and/or to have a parent stay home with their child. Not to mention, as you said, the children who rely on school for a sense of stability.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

FBMidwest

Middle class too
Old 06-29-2020, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I live in a very rural area, I would consider myself middle class. No one I know at all is a stay at home parent, certainly not once our kids got into school. We need the structure of the school and work day. I am a sub, so I too see the additional benefits school provides to children in less than ideal circumstances. I hope we are able to go back in person.
In fact I was just seeing my family doctor today and she is part of some task force. She not that worried about the youngest students spreading the virus. She said the greater risk is the teenagers, she hopes the community as a whole can get most of them to wear masks at school, and that will help keep the schools open as much as possible.
FBMidwest is offline   Reply With Quote