Help

The VENT

guidelines for the fall

>

dusty

guidelines for the fall
Old 06-25-2020, 02:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My state is releasing guidelines for reopening schools in the fall. Two of the guidelines say students in grades 2 and up must wear masks and desks should be 6 feet apart but must be at least 3 feet apart. Also, no temperature checks. Would you feel uncomfortable if you are in kindergarten or 1st grade and your students are not wearing masks? In kindergarten & first grade you're constantly getting up close just to tie their shoes, open snacks, or clean up spills. The 3 feet minimum concerns me a little too because I feel like my school will try to pack in as many desks as they can.

dusty is offline   Reply With Quote

IA11

Old 06-25-2020, 04:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My state released guidelines yesterday. Among them, masks for Kindergarten students are optional. All staff will be required to wear masks.

I work in K and am a little concerned, as I am in a risk category. I get the reasoning — but I think we are going to spend most of our day trying to enforce social distancing and washing hands!
IA11 is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 06-25-2020, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Yes, I've taught kindergarten, and kids that age have no sense of boundaries, and will cough and sneeze directly into your face without turning their heads or covering or anything. They do it without even thinking. They get right up into your personal space, too, also without thinking.

Plus you have to get really close to them a lot of the time- help them tie their shoes, zip up jackets, snap pants, correct their pencil grasp, etc.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Temperature Checks
Old 06-25-2020, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

For Covid-19, I think the temperature checks are pointless. It was different for SARS where the people spreading it HAD symptoms. So I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I teach junior high and have a feeling that my school will not be strict about the masks. Our principal seems to think this is a joke. So yes, I would be and will be uncomfortable with anyone not wearing a mask around me.

I believe that the virus is mostly airborne. For this reason, I wear a surgical mask. I don't have an N95, but I would wear one if I had it. I feel like cloth masks are too loose.

Did you consider a face shield in addition to a mask?
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-25-2020, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am praying that my kindergartners don't have to wear masks. It will be much worse with them than without.

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 06-25-2020, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
Plus you have to get really close to them a lot of the time- help them tie their shoes, zip up jackets, snap pants, correct their pencil grasp, etc.

It almost seems like there may have to be some letting go of these things (I also teach K). Don't know how to tie your shoes? Tuck the laces inside so you don't trip. Can't zip your jacket? We're only outside 15 minutes (if we even get recess with Covid), you'll be fine. Remind parents to send kids in pants they can snap. Etc. I honestly don't know what this year is going to be like.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 06-25-2020, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
It almost seems like there may have to be some letting go of these things
I completely agree. I think there will need to be some communication sent home to parents at the beginning of the year basically saying this and to set their expectations. That if their child can't tie their own shoes, it's best for them to wear slip-ons or velcro because the teacher will not be able to tie the shoes for the child. Send only food items they can open on their own, etc.
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Eh
Old 06-25-2020, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I would feel about as comfortable with those grades with masks as without, which is to say that I would exist in a state of mortal terror either way. I teach junior high for a reason. However, I think these guidelines are going to be adjusted as people get acclimated to the reality we have instead of the reality we want. I wouldn’t sweat it too much just yet.
Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

LMS06to13

I have a rising 2nd grader
Old 06-30-2020, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I took him to the grocery store Saturday for <30 minutes. He wore a mask. He had his hands on that mask, fussing with it, THE ENTIRE TIME. I have no idea how they think littles are going to wear a mask. They will touch their face 100x more with it on. And teachers are going to spend the whole time telling them to stop. Or fixing it for them.
LMS06to13 is offline   Reply With Quote