Help

BusyBoard

Moving to upper grade

>

maliamaya

Moving to upper grade
Old 06-29-2020, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been teaching for the past 20 years, primarily in grades K-2. I may have the opportunity to move to a 5th or 6th grade position. This scares me! The curriculum scares me! Am I smart enough? Thoughts?

maliamaya is offline   Reply With Quote

AspenRed

Old 06-30-2020, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You can do it. You are smart enough! I got involuntarily transferred from kindergarten to high school in the past. Will you only teach a certain content area or would you be teaching all subjects?
AspenRed is offline   Reply With Quote

maliamaya

All Subjects
Old 06-30-2020, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I will teach all subjects. The 6th grade position is still in elemenary.
maliamaya is offline   Reply With Quote

Singvogel

6th is a testing grade/ class size
Old 06-30-2020, 07:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

One thing to consider is that you may be responsible for standardized testing. In my state it's 2-12 that test. We analyze data and get "talked to" if it's too low, but so far, it doesn't figure on our evaluations. (Thank God we don't use Danielson after the horror stories I've heard!)

We also have larger class sizes in 4th and up. In bad years, that can be well over 30. I had a 6th grade year with 36. Our 7th and 8th grade teachers have had as many as 40.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

Yes!
Old 06-30-2020, 09:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'm also at 20 years and I've taught both primary and upper elementary. Primary wasn't a good fit for me, though I gave it a college try. I've mostly taught 4th and 5th, with a couple of years in 6th thrown in.

Yes, you are capable of teaching fifth and sixth. You bring a different lens into the classroom with your expertise with primary-- you may be that amazing teacher I always following around for advice because you can spot holes in phonemic aware that aren't as obvious to me.

Certain math concepts can be tricky when you're out of practice. I overcame that by religiously doing all of the assigned problems prior to the lesson so I wouldn't run into any surprises while I'm teaching.

The ELA and social studies curriculum in fifth and sixth are awesome, but intense. If you have students reading far below grade level it can be overwhelming for both you and them, but that's true in any grade. I'm not sure about your state, but 5th grade is a testing grade for science. It is a huge overtaking mostly because students only have bits and pieces of science under their belts, so there's a lot of scaffolding plus new material.

WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 06-30-2020, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I used to say "You can totally do it,it's only elementary school." And then I met some teachers who did not have a good grasp of elementary school concepts, particularly math.
So....I'd double check to make sure that you're able to do the math curriculum in particular and look to see if there are any difficult parts of other curriculum so you can review before you start to teach the kids. (I'm thinking of prefixes/suffixes as a possible other topic of confusion.) The specific concepts taught will,of course, vary by state.
The testing will be a huge shift. The amount of scrutiny is intense.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote