Help

Kindergarten

New to Kinder

>

Vet3Teacher

New to Kinder
Old 05-08-2020, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I will be new to Kindergarten next year but not new to teaching. It will be my 15th year! I'm nervous but excited too!

What is a small piece of advice you would have for a new kinder teacher? I have worked with kinder before but not in charge of it for a whole year.

Thanks!!!

Vet3Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 05-08-2020, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Welcome to kindergarten! It's a great age - you get to visually see SO much progress and growth!
One big piece of advice I would give is to be prepared to teach them how to do just about literally everything. For some, this will be their first school experience so even things like standing in a line, using scissors, etc. can be quite foreign to them.
They will come in all over the map in academic skills. Some may know almost nothing, others may be reading already, and everything in between. Small groups are definitely needed, especially for reading.
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

kim1231

Moved to kinder after 20 years.
Old 05-08-2020, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Taught grades3 and 4, then moved to kindergarten. I was also excited but very nervous. I have found it to be very rewarding but I do agree. Kids come in at all different abilities. You have to show them everything! Expect parents to be very protective of their little ones. And expect to be very tired at the end of the day. Constant movement! Wear comfortable shoes and clothes. You will be walking, dancing, crawling,hopping,etc.
kim1231 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 05-08-2020, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Like the others said, have zero expectations. Zero! You are not only teaching them academics, but how to be students and classmates and how to navigate social groups. Don't be pressured to jump right into academics. You really do need to invest the time in your procedures. You have to teach them EVERYTHING. Literally, everything. You will feel like you're pounding your head against the wall because you have to repeat and practice things 1,436,376 times. Break everything down into small steps, even things that seem intuitive. This is how you stand up and walk to the line. This is what it means to be in a line. This is how you hang your backpack. This is how you open and close a glue stick. Everything. They are not independent. They have the attention span of a flea. They need lots of movement, songs, play, and breaks.

You are also teaching the parents how school works! If this is their first child it's a big learning curve. Be prepared to field lots of questions. Be proactive, especially when it comes to communication. The first couple of weeks I send home a lot of quick, positive emails about how things are going, what the kids are doing, etc.

With all of that, kinder is the best!! They go from babies to students. They go from squirmy little rabbits to confident kids. You will see the most amazing growth! They love you, they want to please you, and they are so easy to please. They get excited about everything! Kinder is hard, hard work but there is so much joy and laughter.

That wasn't a small piece of advice, sorry! I hope you enjoy kinder as much as I do!

ETA: I think I go to bed around 7:30 or 8 for the first month or so of school. There is no tired like beginning of the year kinder tired!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

ElizabethJoy

Singing
Old 05-13-2020, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Singing! I have little songs and rhymes for almost everything - right down to putting the lid on a whiteboard marker e.g. "Put the lid back on the marker..till...it...clicks. Click!"

If I want them to do something I sing about it and somehow that gets them responding far quicker than if I just say it for example (to the tune of London Bridge) "Sit yourself down on the rug...on the rug....on the rug....sit yourself down on the rug and cross your legs!"

ElizabethJoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Vet3Teacher

songs
Old 06-30-2020, 05:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When I would work in a kinder class, she had songs for them all. I need to experience more! Thank you for that!

I really hope we get to go back in the classroom.
Vet3Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote