Help

Substitute Teachers

My CA UI update...

>

Tapdancesub

My CA UI update...
Old 06-29-2020, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I checked last night and my claim for week ending 6/13 that was pending for 2 weeks was paid yesterday. I now have 2 more weeks to certify. My emails have yet to be responded to.

Tapdancesub is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

yay!!!
Old 06-29-2020, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Tapdancesub, that is great news!! They must have seen your messages

My weeks still say Pending.
Can I ask you if you substitute teach at a year round district, do you usually work in the summer, and do you have a LRA on file, plz? Just trying to make sense of this nonsense

Last edited by Sweetsunset; 06-29-2020 at 07:10 AM..
Sweetsunset is online now   Reply With Quote

OCsubinCA

Me too!!
Old 06-29-2020, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I got paid too!! I sub in California and checked my claim last night (Sunday!) and saw ‘Pending’ turned to ‘Paid’ and ‘0’ turned to the dollar amount I’m usually sent. Was so excited! This was for weeks ending 6/13 & 6/20. Those two weeks sat with ‘Pending’ and ‘0’ for a week.

Sweetsunset - I don’t sub at year-round districts and I never work in the summer. They all have summer recess. I sub for four districts. All but one district sent me a LRA. That district never sends an LRA. I never sent a message or communicated to EDD regarding being stuck in pending mode. I was waiting it out.

I so hope every sub on here gets paid also. I have been reading everyone’s messages and you have all been a great support for me.
OCsubinCA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tapdancesub

Old 06-29-2020, 07:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I work in a traditional 10 month district. We normally have extended school year for special ed in the summer. Remediation and extra help for ESL in the summer also. I received my LRA in May. The way ours works is that we only return it if we do not intend on returning. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this. I told DH if I don’t get resolution soon I’m going to call the consumer reporter on the local news. Tomorrow my district announces their reopening plan just as the governor is planning to scale back.

Sweetsunset

Old 06-29-2020, 08:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Oh ok, I work for our year round county schools and also a traditional 10 month district. For both, we must return our LRA by a due date, if we don't- then it means we aren't returning and consequently- get taken off the sub list. Our county schools are specifically for at risk students who have PO's- they are on remote learning though- so no jobs. The district I work for sounds like your district, except it offers a limited amount of remediation classes during the summer for all student body. We don't get invited to cover those assignments bcz they go to teachers that want to sub. Yes, we need to make some noise about this! Our district sent parents and skl staff a survey about reopening its schools. But of course, subs weren't included in that survey.

Tapdancesub

Old 06-29-2020, 08:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Mostly during the summer I take assistant positions, they are always needed and go unfilled.

Sweetsunset

Old 06-29-2020, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Lucky for you! Last summer, I worked as a para (for the 1st time, super easy) for our county skl's summer program, made really good money and was looking forward to a round 2 this summer. But...I guess I'm on forced vacation this summer. Much to do though at home

Sublime

Old 06-29-2020, 09:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Tapdance: I just checked my status because of your post. I recertified for weeks ending 6/13 and 6/21 and it was pending for a week. I just checked and status says "paid" for both weeks, full benefits. Just waiting for the check. I wonder if they'll ask for it back???? School ended before the 13th.

Last edited by Sublime; 06-29-2020 at 09:58 AM..
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

jakeh

Old 06-29-2020, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Tapdancesub:

Thanks for the heads up. Mine also was 'paid' and was applied to Visa Debit card via Bank of America. Says I can recertify weeks on 7/5/20. What a relief!
jakeh is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Mine
Old 06-29-2020, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Is still pending for weeks I actually would have been working. I have e-mailed, called, and actually spoke to someone. I think it is a waiting game.

CC96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sweetsunset

Old 06-29-2020, 05:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Just got payed, counting my blessings.

northcalsub

So Happy
Old 06-29-2020, 06:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I started the week calling my local edd office where I get through to a live person.This was last Monday, I told him the circumstances (that we all are in as subs) and the reality that we don't know if we will be working due to the ever changing covid requirements. I told him, that a normal year I could expect to work pretty quickly when school opened, but not this year. I said most classes will be distance learning and we are not trained. He listened and said he would speak with a supervisor. Call back within 72 hours. He called on Wed. said I was approved for payments going forward, and he would connect me with a live edd agent, which he did. I waited for close to 3 hours on the phone. I then talked to a nice lady explained to her my situation as a sub, and she said oh,I can see it is pending, I will try and put it through, well put on hold, and then disconnect 5 min later.
Thursday morning got ahold of John again at local edd office. Told him what happened, he put me on hold, said he had someone on the line it should be 15 min. Nope, 1 hour and half later, I spoke with a woman who was not as easy to talk to however, she said she would be putting it through and from what I could gather from what she told me that it had been decided late Wednesday to pay all school employees. She would be putting through my week ending 6/13. I then later in the day got my mail with my next two weeks to certify 6/20 and 6/27. I had initially started with the idea that it would have to be own fight case by case issue. I am over 65 and I really don't know if I should go back in the classroom with all the unknowns. Face mask or ot,, shcools are germ central. So for now we are all getting paid
northcalsub is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

I hope
Old 06-29-2020, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Wow! I hope you are right! I just checked and I am still pending for weeks ending 6/13 and 6/20– my districts were in session and I had already booked jobs that got canceled— I have sent two emails and talked to a person on the phone! I am getting angry!

northcalsub

I was told
Old 06-29-2020, 08:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

... on my second phone call that all school payments were stopped on 6/7.

Sirsubalot

Old 06-29-2020, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I just checked on line and it did say that I was paid for the last two weeks. The check is not here yet.
Since we were flagged it is now four days late, but this is great news if I get it.

Since I sent in the paper copy as well as a back up, I have two weeks stating that I was paid and the same two weeks that said "duplicate" with $0.00 since I re-certified both on line and by mail.

Has anyone actually gotten their checks yet for June 7-20? I am still a little concerned that I only got my re-certification paper for the upcoming two weeks on Saturday, but it was not accompanied by a check.
The two have always come together, so I don't want to get too excited yet.

I am also in a bind because I am 62 with diabetes, and I take care of my 87 year old Mom.

I also have an 88 year dad with many ailments along with dementia, who is weak and in the hospital.
I do not yet know if I will ever see him again, but if I am lucky enough to have him at home again, I will feel even less comfortable encountering thousands of kids.

I pray that my claim is truly continuing, because this will give me an extra two months of income so I can stay home instead of going back to school on August 12 and risk infecting my parents.

My mom is very worried about me going back to work, and I don't blame her.

Last edited by Sirsubalot; 06-29-2020 at 09:17 PM..
Sirsubalot is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

If
Old 06-29-2020, 09:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

If I don’t see my pending status change by Wednesday morning, I will get back on the phone with them again! This is ridiculous, they are withholding UI from me for weeks that my districts were in session and that I actually had jobs booked for prior to COVID-19– these are not “summer recess” weeks for me; supposedly all because of the flagging.

jakeh

Old 06-29-2020, 09:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I got mine yesterday for June 7-20, Sirsubalot. Keep trying.

Last edited by jakeh; 06-30-2020 at 10:48 AM..

Fractured

Old 06-29-2020, 11:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I wish I was in California. I tried to call 100 times on Friday. I just gave up, third straight week of getting denied. I think I’m going to be waiting months for the June and July money.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

jakeh

Old 06-30-2020, 10:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Trust me, you do not wish you were in California. Beautiful state, worst government.

CC96

Truth
Old 06-30-2020, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Born and raised Californian here—62 years— would leave in a heartbeat if my kids and their children were not here. The state is being destroyed.

Tapdancesub

Old 06-30-2020, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I kinda feel the same way. DH has a few more years of work and we’re waiting to see where the kids land. Would like to be somewhat near by. I would love to head to northern Nevada or southern Oregon.

Sublime

Old 06-30-2020, 12:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Wow, all of you! I feel the same about CA. I'll probably leave some day, too.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote

northcalsub

Cc96
Old 06-30-2020, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

If you can get a hold of any local surrounding edd office, they can maybe get you through to the main phone help that you need. That was the only way I was successful with any of the many phone numbers. If you are in California you can go to you tube there are helpful people who manged to get through the maze and left tips.

UnemployedSub

I got paid!
Old 06-30-2020, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Woo Hoo! I just received a bank deposit from EDD for the week ending 6/13 that I had waiting for since certifying on 6/14. Additionally, I had an email to certify weeks ending 6/20 and 6/27 so I did, but did not expect anything to come of it. Lo and behold, I received a total of 3 weeks UI payment plus 3 $600 federal money payments today. I am feeling so grateful!

Questions to anyone who can answer:

1) How did this come about for all of us?

2) Can EDD come back later and say we were overpaid because school had already finished for summer break and demand payback?

3) Do we continue to certify weeks even though school is out and we were never eligible for summer UI before?

Thank you for reading and replying. I hope you all are starting to see your payments come in for the June weeks too!
UnemployedSub is offline   Reply With Quote

CC96

Thanks
Old 06-30-2020, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Thanks for the tip Norcalsub!

Fractured

Old 06-30-2020, 06:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

I’m from SoCal and have lived in NorCal as well. I like a lot about California but I left about 7 years ago as the rent and traffic was getting beyond ridiculous. I do miss parts of it but I doubt I’ll ever move back. The UI system in my state is a total joke though.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

pt2014js

CA sub
Old 07-02-2020, 04:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

My unemployement is now given by single weeks instead of two weeks lumped together. after June 4th.
So something changed.

It is like a MAGIC wand that gives but perhaps will not give.
I am pretty sure here is Cal we get UE all summer.

It is hard to trust. I am so glad I live in California. I love it here.
pt2014js is offline   Reply With Quote