Help

BusyBoard

My Experience Tutoring this Week - Masks

>

Song of Joy

My Experience Tutoring this Week - Masks
Old 06-30-2020, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've started seeing students outside and wearing masks this week. We're in Phase 3. The upcoming 4th and 6th graders did fine with their masks for 90 minutes, although the 4th grader needed a break about 1 hour in.

The 1st and 2nd graders I saw couldn't tie their own mask and they really struggled keeping it from sliding off.

My biggest issue is that I struggled with hearing 2 of the students. I think I missed catching some wrong answers because I was not sure what the student said. We were in a quiet setting and they were about 8 feet away.

They all seemed to need a mask break every now and then.

Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Good info to know!
Old 06-30-2020, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Because teaching students while they wear masks is still such an 'unknown', your early experiences with this can serve as guidelines for what to actually expect with children.
Quote:
The upcoming 4th and 6th graders did fine with their masks for 90 minutes, although the 4th grader needed a break about 1 hour in.
I suspect even teachers will need to take 'mask breaks'. Maybe this will be something that teachers build into the schedules, just like hand washing and restroom breaks need to be worked in.

Quote:
The 1st and 2nd graders I saw couldn't tie their own mask and they really struggled keeping it from sliding off.
Good point here. I didn't think about students wearing 'tie-on' masks, since I've mostly seen the stretch elastic bands on masks. This reminds me that teachers will probably be seeing all kinds of masks, including the clear 'face shields' I'm starting to see more often.

Quote:
I struggled with hearing 2 of the students.
This is always a problem even when students don't wear masks. My first thought was that some teachers I know have purchased microphones or some other sort of sound amplification device. Unfortunately, these won't be as useful for students to share (when needed) because they probably shouldn't be passed around or shared.

I'll be sharing your findings with my teacher friends.Thanks for this post!
Risa is online now   Reply With Quote

Sleddog

Old 07-02-2020, 04:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Our summer program has been going great with students, even with the masks. The adults are pleasantly surprised by how well the students are doing.

One thing I thought was clever was the use of colors. For example, they have areas called the Blue Zone. The Blue Zone means you have to wear your mask in this area as students are passing through this to get to other areas (picture a sidewalk on a playground). There are colored zones where kids can take their mask off because they are outside and with their own pod (a group of kids who stay together).

We can do this! We can be creative and look at things in a different way. I think our students, once we return to school, will also have great ideas for us.
Sleddog is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 07-02-2020, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, our summer program is finding that masks aren't as big of a problem as we originally thought they would be. Yes, we do spend time talking about how to use/wear them safely. Yes, we do spend some time reminding and reteaching mask use. Students adapted and are doing great. Sometimes I think it is the adults that are having a bigger issue out of mask wearing than it needs to be. Our results have been very positive so far.
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote