Career Decisions

Should I Resign?

>

MnToCa

Should I Resign?
Old 03-09-2020, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Long story short...

I absolutely hate my current position. The school/program I am teaching in is horrible and itís only getting worse.

My contract says if I donít resign by April 1, they can keep me all of next year unless they hire someone to replace me, but I doubt that will happen, since when I was hired for my position, no one else applied for it which is why I got the position.

This brings me to my point. Should I resign by April 1 and risk not finding a new job or do I wait until I find a job but risk the district not being able to find a replacement for me? I do know they are planning on hiring multiple new teachers next year, so the odds that they find 3 teachers is really low to me.

MnToCa is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Depends
Old 03-10-2020, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you "absolutely hate the current position" so much that you are willing to risk the possibility of being unemployed? If so, resign by April 1.

On the other hand, if the very thought of being jobless is overwhelming, then you may be stuck exactly where you are.

Have you started your job search yet? Since you sound sure that you don't want to stay where you are, you should be actively applying. Some schools have started interviewing for next year, although many will be waiting a little longer.

Is there another type of work you could do if you don't find a better teaching position for next year?
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Guest9098

Guest9098

Things to Consider!
Old 03-11-2020, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I am so sorry you are going through this. Hugs!!!! I would weigh the pros and cons of the situation. Are you teaching a subject that is highly needed that will open other teaching opportunities? If you resign April 1st, have you thought about subbing until you find something permanent? I would be concerned about possibly being locked into another school year at a school that I hate so much that I would be willing to take a leap of faith and resign but everyone's situation is different. What about attending job fairs? I know districts have begun to have them for 2020-21 hiring. Have you looked on district websites for openings for next school year? If you decide to stay but find a job later, can the district suspend your teaching license? Just a few things to consider. Wishing you the best of luck.

MAsped

Old 03-12-2020, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If I hated it that much, I'd resign by April 1st. Our happiness (and good physical and mental health) has ALWAYS been the priority over money.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote