Help

The Job Search

Virus

>

2000Aggie

Virus
Old 04-01-2020, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Considering the situation with all the school closures and the uncertainty, is this a good time to start applying for a teaching job for next year? Here in Texas, the governor shutdown schools until May 4. My anxiety is getting the best of me. I feel I should be doing SOMETHING to prepare for next year. Thank you for listening to my worry.

2000Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote

MsBTexas

Old 04-01-2020, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is a fine time to apply! I have done three virtual interviews this week (I am also in Texas) with schools in Carrollton. It may take a little longer to hear back to get the interview and then after the interview for results because things are all being done completely virtual and HR departments/admin are still adjusting to that! But it certainly can't hurt! What part of Texas are you in?
MsBTexas is offline   Reply With Quote

2000Aggie

Thank you
Old 04-01-2020, 09:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you for replying. I live in the Corpus Christi area. There are so many things up in the air because of the pandemic. Districts may not know yet who is staying and who is leaving. How long will schools be closed? Will school year begin in August? I'll give it a shot. I've never had a virtual interview before. Let's see how things go.
:
2000Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote

BadKitty

Old 04-02-2020, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yeah, I've been wondering how this affects job searches for teachers for the following school year. I know our district had a virtual job fair not too long ago, but I'm not sure what the turnout was.
BadKitty is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 04-02-2020, 08:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think it completely depends on the districts right now. We have positions to hire for next year, but there is a hiring freeze right now. I am not sure when we will be able to interview and hire as of this point. Maybe when the stay at home order has lifted or lessened up some?

kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

broomrider

A recent article
Old 04-16-2020, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

in Education Week (I believe) said that after some natural disasters (like Katrina) retirements increased drastically. Retirements also increased during the Great Recession and the economic downturn ofter Covi 19 will be likely be huge.

It would be good to have your applications in wherever feasible in case another retirement bloom occurs.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 04-18-2020, 12:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Itís been pretty slow. I saw some stuff go up in late March, but I think people were going on spring break and those jobs were already going up before the covid outbreak. I expect late hiring as some teachers will retire, esp if schools decide to go back to normal classes and teachers are afraid to come back. But, I donít think itís going to be a great market.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 04-18-2020, 12:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If you see postings I would definitely apply. We've had zoom interviews and hired for next year during the closure. It's absolutely worth applying and seeing what happens at the very least.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote