I got laid off last year and my dad got laid off this year from the same school - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

I got laid off last year and my dad got laid off this year from the same school

>

Verbena

Verbena

I got laid off last year and my dad got laid off this year from the same school
Old 05-27-2020, 07:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Two years ago, my family and I moved to this small town because my dad got a job at this charter school as a 7th and 8th grade teacher and myself as a paraprofessional. I had no idea how much anxiety i'd get over it. There was one SpEd teacher and he was over all the schools and me and my coworkers essentially acted like his eyes and ears and did his job since he couldn't be there. I was only a part time worker, but yet i was still taking my work home with me and I couldn't stop worrying about the students I was in charge of helping. Before the school year was over, I asked them if I'll be coming back the following school year in 2019 and they never gave me any concrete answer. I come back the first week of school and first day, I kid you not, they tell me they replaced me with someone else because of "complaints" and they ask me to stay a week and demoted me to sub which i stupidly went along with. I couldve job hunted over the summer for goodness sakes! After 2 months of job hunting, I got a new job.

Now this year, all this crazy stuff happened and due to "complaints" and decreased enrollment, my dad lost his job too and is retiring early. He listened to their advice, he researched classroom management and kept trying to help those kids. But, it's basically at that school, they don't leave you any room to improve at your job and they'll let you go the moment you do something they don't like. I got an email asking if I wanted to return as a sub. There's no way I'm doing that at all. Maybe I'll look into substitute teaching at the public schools in town, but I refuse to go to the place that laid me off without warning and laid my dad off despite his best efforts to work with them.

Singvogel

Try the public school.
Old 05-27-2020, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Charter Schools are difficult because they have easier firing requirements than public (if there's a union).

You are right that you should have pushed back more on why they were firing you. I don't know what kind of contract you signed, but keep that in mind for the future.
Singvogel is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 05-27-2020, 02:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
Charter Schools are difficult because they have easier firing requirements than public (if there's a union).
Even public schools without a union (I teach in one.) have very specific steps to follow before dismissal takes place. As long as you are under contract, make sure to ask for documentation to support dismissal.

Was your dad under a one-year contract or a continuing contract? If he was under a one-year conract, unfortunately they don't have to give him any reason for not offering him another contract.

I'd try to get into a public school, or even certain private schools.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote
Verbena

Verbena

Old 05-28-2020, 09:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I know that the school practices "at-will employment", and I knew that they had a right to terminate me for any reason. I just never knew that at that school, a verbal complaint from another teacher, not even a written one could carry so much weight. I just wish that when they gave me feedback or had a complaint that was serious enough to affect my standing with the school, that they would've given me a paper to sign, that place was the least transparent workplace that I've ever been in. The only specific complaint that they had was that id push the students on the swings at recess, but I never knew that something like that was serious enough to affect my job standing.