Since teacher's aren't allowed to have a life outside of school... - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

Since teacher's aren't allowed to have a life outside of school...

>

GuestWriter

GuestWriter

Since teacher's aren't allowed to have a life outside of school...
Old 05-30-2020, 04:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need advice. I am publishing a book and it does contain adult language (curse words) and there are some scenes with adult content. On one hand, I'm terrified of being judged as a teacher if parents were to read the book. On the other hand, writing under a fictitious name feels like a waste to me. Someone else may as well be getting credit for the book.

If I publish under my real name (first initial, full last name), could I lose my job as a teacher? I'm under the union and have been employed by the district for four years now.

I am open to all suggestions. Thank you in advance for your help.

SassyTeach

My two cents...
Old 05-30-2020, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've had story ideas rattling around in my head for years. I've never done anything with them, but I did decide early on that if I WERE to actually put pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard), I would definitely use a pseudonym just for anonymity. No need to put that added level of stress and worry on yourself for the "what ifs".

So, if I were you, I'd remain anonymous just in case you could get fired for whatever reason.

Just my 2 cents...
SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-30-2020, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I wrote an adult book and published under a pseudonym. It was just easier. When it was published and I did an interview my P clipped the article and made a big deal about it at a staff meeting (it was so heartwarming).

I used a pseudonym for lots of reasons, not just the teaching thing.

In the end you need to do what’s right for you.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

Fractured

Old 05-30-2020, 01:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, because teachers are held to a different standard than other people as we are considered role models. In grad school we took a brief course on this. We were told that we could even be fired if pictures of us on social media surfaced of us drinking or smoking cigarettes. While this would probably be an extreme case, it could still happen.

Writing was more tricky. If you published an op ed column that was political in nature, you were protected because of the 1st amendment. If you wrote a novel that had content some people might find objectionable, then you could probably be fired for it. That said, teachers obviously publish books and short stories. If it’s just swearing and sex, it probably wouldn’t be such a big deal, but all it takes is one parent or faculty member to complain about you. I would consult a lawyer for the most sound advice though.
Fractured is offline   Reply With Quote

marguerite2

Old 05-30-2020, 02:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Do a pseudonym. When your book hits the NYT best seller list, and you have enough sales to retire from teaching, you can reveal yourself.

Only you know your district. Here no one would blink an eye. If you are concerned, talk to someone in your union. Here, I'd skip the building level, and go straight to an elementary VP or the union president.

marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

book
Old 05-30-2020, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If I had a nickel for every time a teacher said "I should write a book!" I would have a second home on an island!
Yes, use a pseudonym for all the reasons mentioned above and for a little peace of mind that no one is judging you.
Best of luck with your book. I hope you'll tip us off so we can read it!
Shelby3 is online now   Reply With Quote

dee

Current job
Old 05-30-2020, 03:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Although your current job/district maybe ok, you never know where you'll be in 5 years, 15 years, etc. I also vote for a pseudonym.
dee is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 05-30-2020, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It would depend on your community. Is it a conservative area? May be an issue. A more open minded area it could be no big deal
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Room_916

Old 05-30-2020, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

A cautionary tale.

I love fanfic. Several years ago I was following an extremely popular NSFW fic that was being written by a teacher who was using a pseudonym. I have no idea how; but somehow someone at her school found out that she was the author. I do not know the details; but from what I was able to gather from what was being said in that particular fandom, she almost lost her job. Also, this incredibly popular fic disappeared from all sites. Poof.

If this is what happened to a woman who was writing anonymously online, then YES, Yes, yes, I recommend publishing under a pseudonym.
Room_916 is online now   Reply With Quote
GuestWriter

GuestWriter

Yikes!
Old 06-08-2020, 10:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Well, I wish I had waited to read your responses because I published under my first initial last name. It took 3 days for this post to show up for some reason. I have an extremely common last name but I can still go back and remove the book and edit the title.