Help

The VENT

Zoom vents

>

PrivateEyes

Zoom vents
Old 06-01-2020, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

A. If you're the host, show up at the meeting about 10 minutes early. Nobody wants to log in only to be told the host hasn't arrived yet. This especially is good advice if you don't know how to host a meeting and/or you're always having trouble connecting.

B. If you're supposed to be a meeting, try to show up five minutes early. I hate having to spend the first twenty minutes discussing who's here, who's not here, and who's having trouble connecting.

C. Mute yourself unless you're talking.

D. If you don't have a green screen, your stupid background is making you flicker in and out.

E. Adjust your camera. Looking at the top of your head meeting after meeting is getting old.

Any more?

PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

essence253

Zoom
Old 06-01-2020, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If you know your only dressed from the waist up, do not stand up and walk away from the camera. No one wants to see your underwear.
essence253 is offline   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Zoom
Old 06-01-2020, 09:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Stay in one place!

It makes me so dizzy watching people move all around their house with the camera.
arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 06-01-2020, 09:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I disagree with A. I start my meeting a minute before it's supposed to begin, everybody pops in, we get started at the time the meeting is scheduled to start.

I also don't care if it says waiting for host if I join early. I join, the "waiting for host" screen shows up, I join the meeting when the host starts on time. I don't want to sit around doing chit chat for five to ten minutes before the meeting. That's what I like about Zoom - the meeting starts, we discuss what we have to discuss and only if it couldn't be handled via email, we end. Efficient.

We've been doing the distance thing since March. If people haven't figured it out by now, they're never going to figure it out. I'm not starting ten minutes early - especially because sometimes I'm ending a meeting/class right before I start another - just so participants can work out tech issues.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 06-01-2020, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I agree with Gromit. I'm not starting my meetings 10 minutes early. Sitting doing stupid chit-chat while others join isn't my idea of time well spent. And I have no problem with the screen that says waiting for host.

I'm going to add one - don't sit with a big cup of whatever in front of your face, taking sip after sip.

Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote
elspeech
Old 06-01-2020, 09:58 AM
This message has been deleted by elspeech. Reason: duplicate

elspeech

Old 06-01-2020, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with Gromit on A. Especially since many people have back-to-back meetings. Getting on 5-10 minutes early sometimes just isn't feasible.

Also, on B, if the meeting is scheduled to start, just start. If someone is late, to bad for them. They'll have to catch up later. Everyone shouldn't have to wait on them.

As to C - DEFINITELY - it is so annoying and distracting to hear other people's background sounds.
elspeech is online now   Reply With Quote

FUNNYJOKER

Old 06-01-2020, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We use Google Meets. As far as letter C, those of you using the phone number and pin # to dial in can still mute. Don't say you can't mute. If you are dialing in, you can press the mute button on your phone's screen as you would if you were to mute while on a phone call. It's that simple. When you don't mute, we all still hear your background noise and we only know the last 2 digits your your phone number so we can't easily tell who you are.

And, no. I don't think it's cute that you tell your dog to go find its bone. I don't think it's cute that your child wants to take time from an important meeting to hold up a sign colored with crayon. I don't want to hear your phone beep all the time with notifications.

Also, if you present or show your screen, you might want to make sure there isn't a tab (or two) that shows you were also looking at questionable items.
FUNNYJOKER is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 06-01-2020, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Okay, so 10 minutes early might not be necessary, but a couple of minutes is fair. Otherwise the meeting starts late IME. And I hate being late to meetings so I sit there retrying assuming everyone got in but me. And it doesn't help that my computer is old and freezes up sometimes.

The non-muters make me CRAZY. For most of them they really don't "get it" and think they are muted so they ignore the pleas to mute. We have one on our staff that seems to intentionally not mute themselves. It seems like it's an ego thing.

I will say meetings got better once everyone learned the platform and got tech and etiquette issues worked out. Those early meetings were a nightmare.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Zoom mute
Old 06-01-2020, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

The non-muters drive me crazy, but I am starting to get annoyed that the person running the meeting does not initially mute everyone or mute everyone after a warning.

I would love it if people could just ask questions via chat and then have the questions addressed in order of importance or if they are asked more than once.

And the is just a personal gripe, but if you are driving in your car or walking from the car to the house, just turn the video off. Same thing with people who are moving about the house.

Also, we know you drink and have a small place, but you have to know we can see all the bottles on your kitchen counter.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-01-2020, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I can DEFINITELY agree with C and E!

I completely disagree with A and B (I read this earlier when there was only 1 response but didn't want to respond on my phone, so now I can say I agree with Gromit and others ). I start meetings a minute before and I show up to meetings right on time (or a minute before, but then I'm almost always waiting anyway). With meetings back to back and all sorts of other responsibilities, I don't have the time to spend just waiting for people to show up.

So I would change A to just practice and do a sample run if you're new to whatever system you are using. And of course if you take a while to connect, try to start sooner rather than later.

Quote:
And the is just a personal gripe, but if you are driving in your car or walking from the car to the house, just turn the video off. Same thing with people who are moving about the house.
Agree with this, too!

Most of my annoyance with Zoom meetings is related to people not muting and the fact that people talk over each other all the time (which is sometimes hard to avoid). Our staff meeting has us raise our hand if we want to talk and the person running the meeting will call on people. I appreciate that. But more informal and smaller meetings don't need that sort of order and that means it's sometimes hard to know when to talk and have your voice heard.

Quote:
The non-muters drive me crazy, but I am starting to get annoyed that the person running the meeting does not initially mute everyone or mute everyone after a warning.
I would love it if people could just ask questions via chat and then have the questions addressed in order of importance or if they are asked more than once.
This actually brings up another thing that I find annoying. If you're going to lead a zoom meeting, you really need to have practiced and know how to lead it. We use a Zoom account through our school. Certain features are set automatically for us, like having a waiting room and no chat allowed and no changing names, etc. When the person leading it doesn't know they can enable chat or disable the waiting room or mute people or whatnot, a lot of time is wasted trying to figure things out. Get to know your Zoom options!!!

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 06-01-2020 at 12:35 PM..
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 06-01-2020, 02:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Definite no to A and B. If I'm hosting, I start my meetings exactly one minute before it is scheduled to start. If I say I'm starting at 10:00, I will be on there at 9:59. No earlier, no later (I actually set my phone to give me an alarm at exactly that time, and that's when I hit the go button)

I used to start the meetings up early, then I found that when I started up the meeting early, people would start arriving early. Someone would get there at 9:50, another at 9:52, another at 9:57.

Meanwhile, I'd be left sitting there making stupid small talk for 10 minutes waiting for the rest of the people to arrive (who are NOT late), and actually start the meeting. It's a waste of everyone's time.

Honestly, if my meeting starts at 10:00, and someone's on there trying to log on at 9:50, and it says the host isn't there, well, sorry, but the meeting has not started yet. Wait until it starts, people.

If you are a guest of a meeting, get there on time. If it starts at 10:00, be there at 10:00. Again, I set an alarm on my phone for every meeting I'm at. It goes off several minutes before the meeting, so I can finish whatever I'm doing and get set up, and then it goes off again- to the minute- and that's when I log in to the meeting. Boom. I'm always perfectly on time.
teenytiny is online now   Reply With Quote

Eccj

Gromit
Old 06-01-2020, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I agree. I host meetings every day and I don’t get on until one minute before it starts. I let people in and we begin. I don’t want small talk either. The kids know when I start and they know I will be on time but not early. I don’t want to wait for the other kids to get on.
Eccj is offline   Reply With Quote

MissESL

Zoom
Old 06-01-2020, 03:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Does starting early eat into your allotted time (when the time limit on free accounts exists)? I wouldn’t want to start quite that early! I always log in about 2 minutes ahead of time just to make sure I didn’t have any problems myself. As for showing up early, a meeting tie is a meeting time for a reason, so most people are on time or in within a couple minutes. There’s usually a lot of chatter as if we were together in person actually!

We do happen to use the chat a lot if someone is talking so we don’t interrupt. It was never outright stated, but we have a good staff that somehow manages to come to understandings like that pretty often.

Mute isn’t a big deal to me. I do think being rude about it is not okay - I was in an IEP meeting for a student transitioning to high school and the HS principal (who was 20 minutes late) said “hey, ____, mute yourself, there’s too much feedback” when oddly there WASN’T an issue until he logged in!

I think video meetings are just awkward. They get easier but we do occasionally sit there and stare at each other....so I guess my vent would be have a specific person in charge or the meeting and have a meeting agenda so we aren’t sitting around wondering what the meeting is about!
MissESL is online now   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Zoom
Old 06-01-2020, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

During Zoom meetings it is best not to:

blow dry your daughter's hair
have a conversation on your cell phone when you are not muted
cook a meal
fold laundry

Last edited by travelingfar; 06-02-2020 at 05:20 AM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 06-01-2020, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Clicking on exactly at 10:00 for a 10:00 meeting rarely works for me and my ancient computer which will not load the application correctly and often freezes. I love when I can get in early.

I know it's a different situation, but if it was a face-to-face meeting, I would arrive a few minutes early.

My principal sometimes opens the meeting early but doesn't remain in front of the computer necessarily.

I usually enter muted with my camera off. No need to engage me in chitchat.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-01-2020, 06:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

Quote:
I know it's a different situation, but if it was a face-to-face meeting, I would arrive a few minutes early.
I do, too, *if* the meeting is to take place in an office that doesn't "belong" to anyone. If it's in someone's office, I show up right on time. It's like being a guest in someone's home- you don't show up early to someone else's house for dinner. But online, assuming tech works (I mentioned maybe logging in early if you know it takes a while to connect- sounds like that's an issue for you, so I get wanting to show up early ), it's easier to plan your entry into a meeting online.

Quote:
Does starting early eat into your allotted time (when the time limit on free accounts exists)?
In my experience yes, it does.

When I do log in early, I leave a picture up and myself muted.
GraceKrispy is online now   Reply With Quote

steach

Old 06-01-2020, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Don’t fold your laundry while you are in a professional meeting.

Don’t do your dishes during our team meetings.

Your kids are cute, but we don’t want to see them running in front of the camera in their underwear.
steach is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 06-01-2020, 07:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

In short, I think we're all sick of Zoom!
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Our district
Old 06-01-2020, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

and my daughter's district, have professional Zoom accounts with unlimited time (no constraints) Generally speaking, the "host" doesn't get in until ten minutes after the meeting scheduled time, and then there's three or four people claiming they can't get in, and what's the password (again) or the link (again) and the host wants to wait for everybody, etc.

Which is why I say start early. If you can hit the start button at 9:59 for a 10:00 meeting, let everyone in, and start at 10:00, that's fabulous. It's just not my experience at all.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-01-2020, 10:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

We put the link and password right in the google calendar invite. So there is no excuse for not being able to find it. If I'm leading the meeting I try to start like 2 minutes early to give everyone a chance to get in- definitely wouldn't do ten minutes! I could see doing that if you have trouble with the tech and need longer to start the meeting for whatever reason. My dad (also a teacher) falls into that category .

I have to admit that I love zoom staff meetings. I will be so sad when I have to go sit through staff meetings in person again. Since I'm not a classroom teacher, 90% of what's discussed doesn't apply to me. But in person, I have to just sit there and listen anyway. On zoom, I mute myself, turn my camera off, and get work done while keeping an ear out for anything I actually need to know . Being on zoom also cuts down on cutesy/hands on activities for PD. They can put us in breakout rooms to discuss things, but that's about it. I love that part too!
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 06-01-2020, 11:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Quote:
I have to admit that I love zoom staff meetings.
Yep, me too! And parent conferences and IEP meetings.

readandweep

Zoom
Old 06-02-2020, 05:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

Overall I like Zoom meetings as well.

The larger staff or department meetings are the one's that drive me crazy. Based on PPs responses I think a lot of it is people catching up with technology.

There are a lot of people in my sphere who don't email or use google/outlook calendar, so Zoom was a steep learning curve.
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I like Zoom
Old 06-02-2020, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

We were required to do Google Meets for a while, and we all hated it.

When I host a zoom meeting, I get there 10 minutes early to make sure everything is working, but I don't admit anyone until the exact time the meeting is to start. I especially watch that when I'm zooming with kids. I don't want to be talking to just one kid with no one else on. I do record my meetings, but I still don't want to be online with just one kid.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 06-02-2020, 09:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

Please... I don't want to watch you fold your panties and thongs during a Zoom staff meeting...
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 06-02-2020, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I feel like a lot of you work with way more unprofessional colleagues than I do. None of these things have even come close to happening in a Zoom meeting.

elspeech

Old 06-02-2020, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Quote:
I feel like a lot of you work with way more unprofessional colleagues than I do. None of these things have even come close to happening in a Zoom meeting.

I'm with Grommit on this. If this continues next year, maybe your schools need to put out directives about what is and isn't appropriate zoom behavior. Basically, if you wouldn't do something during an in-person meeting, it is likely not appropriate for a zoom meeting either. And if you are going to do those things, be aware enough to turn off your camera and your mic until you need to say something.
elspeech is online now   Reply With Quote

Eccj

I am very thankful for where I work.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

None of this happens at our Zoom meetings either.
Eccj is offline   Reply With Quote

123rabbit

Be prepared
Old 06-02-2020, 09:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Our team lead chit chats and jumps around...we will end the hour long meeting...then she starts group texting things she forgot to share during the hour long meeting...so frustrating...

I wish she would send emailed notes instead...
123rabbit is online now   Reply With Quote

JenInWV

Old 06-03-2020, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Interesting. My district won’t allow us to use Zoom at all — they claim it isn’t secure. We have to use Microsoft Teams. The link is emailed out and no password is required.
JenInWV is offline   Reply With Quote

subasaurus

Daily Show clip regarding current teaching wo
Old 06-04-2020, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

Check this out.

Trevor Noah feels your pain...

https://youtu.be/ipkn1OdmQd8
subasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote