How long do you go back and forth with a parent? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

The VENT

How long do you go back and forth with a parent?

>

Done20

Done20

How long do you go back and forth with a parent?
Old 06-03-2020, 06:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

The school year is over. My grades have been turned in. I am planning for my vacation. We technically have to be available for a virtual faculty meeting tomorrow but no other duties have been mentioned. In comes parent email asking why her child has two failing grades from over two months ago. Um, because your child didnít turn in her assignments for those two weeks, which I told your child about over email several times way before the deadline. But now deadline has passed for student work to be turned in. My grades are done. So sorry, there is nothing I can do. Parent responds insisting child did work. Sends screenshots of partial work that was submitted NOT where instructions were given to submit. I respond back reiterating first email, sent additional math report showing zero time spent on math software. Parent counters this email with a math software report of her own from her child, who says she spent hours in the program. I respond again and point out that her child has no dates on this report and that is not an accurate reflection. Please see the one I sent for an accurate reflection. Parent calls guidance counselor, principal, assistant principal insisting her child turned in work and wants credit and sends yet ANOTHER email to all of us requesting I call her. I reply all to that one, citing once again her child did not turn in her work, deadline has passed, I must follow guidelines I have been given, I must be fair to all students, school year is over. I donít want to call her as I donít see the point. I donít want to email her again either. What would you all do at this point? This is middle school, by the way.

broomrider

You've got another
Old 06-03-2020, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

of Angelo's parents.

Sounds like she figures if she makes enough noise, the grade will change. And some admins do subscribe to that philosophy; the "do what it takes to get this person off my back."

If your admin is of that persuasion you may want to be sure you get your orders in writing or require that person to make the grade change. It depends on your situation with admin, of course. It's easy to say, well, I'd do this when you don't have to live with the consequences for the next few years.

Anyway, I feel for you and am once again dismayed that people think they can lie their way out of situations. Being successful with small offenses only leads to bigger ones that don't succeed and have much larger consequences.

It all comes under the heading of "At least that kid won't be living in MY house when s/he's 45."
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Old 06-03-2020, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would forward the documentation you sent the parent to the administrators and leave the ball in their court. Do what they say, and let it go. You followed the directives, so you are covered.

Good luck!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 06-04-2020, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree to let your principal handle it from now on. You can't change grades anyway. I'd send one last email saying you are forwarding her concerns to your principal and not respond again. You are off contract now.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote
Emily26

Emily26

You don't get paid to deal with this...
Old 06-05-2020, 03:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

...in the summer.

You should have just responded once with your documentation, cc'ing admin, and let it go. If admin wants to raise the grades or give an extension or whatever, that's on them. You did your job, the school year is over, don't respond again.

GraceKrispy

Old 06-05-2020, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

After the first explanation, I would have sent it to admin (with my own contextual additional information) and let it go from there. Stop conversing with this parent. Now she has brought admin in, so I'd check with them to see what they are thinking.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote