The VENT

This is why I needed help

>

Hopeful12

Hopeful12

This is why I needed help
Old 06-05-2020, 01:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Looking for non-judgmental ears right now. If you can relate great if not it's fine just please don't judge.

I had posted before about the mental health treatment I needed as a result of quarantine and the demands of my job to be everything to everyone. I'm currently on disability.

A friend just shared with me that he was on the phone for three and a half hours with students who are struggling and how mentally exhausted he is.

I'm really sorry for the hard time everyone is going through and I'm not trying to say I don't care in fact I care a lot but I feel like there's too much pressure on teachers to act almost like first responders. That just isn't okay.

tryingtoteach

Old 06-06-2020, 08:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We are teachers. We are not trained psychologists and we should not be required to become one. Checking in with students is one thing, especially this week, to offer support. But 3.5 hours is above and beyond. I am sure your friend is burnt out as you said you were. Please take care.
tryingtoteach is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Nope
Old 06-07-2020, 06:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I know your friend cares, but being on the phone for three and a half hours with students is too much. Teachers need to create some boundaries during this challenging time.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Mshope

Boundaries
Old 06-15-2020, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I agree with previous posters. Boundaries are a must. I made a pact with myself that I wouldn't Zoom or call students. I had some coworkers that were on the phone day and night with parents and students. I did end up helping a lot of students and teachers for long periods online. I did Zoom trying to help coworkers, but not students.

Sorry to hear that you are having a hard time. It's weird, but things are hitting me hard too. I like to be home, but this can't be entirely "healthy" for my mind. Hope you start to feel better soon.
Mshope is offline   Reply With Quote

ih8

Old 06-17-2020, 12:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If some teachers get satisfaction from being on the phone with students, that is good. They should not complain about that situation, as it was their own choice to go above and beyond.

If a parent wants me to do something outside of business hours, or for free, I always want to ask them "does your place of employment ask you to work for free?" But of course I never do.

If a teacher wants to do something for free, that is great. If a teacher wants to only do things that are their professional obligation, that is great too.

Sharing personal problems will lead to fatigue and emotional exhaustion so it is up to every person how much, or how little of that, they are willing to experience. The main point is that anything outside of professional obligations is optional and once someone chooses to do that optional thing, the effects are on them.

ih8 is offline   Reply With Quote