Help

The Job Search

Screening Interview - One Question

>

lovemyjob7777

Screening Interview - One Question
Old 06-08-2020, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I have, what they said, a 5 minute screening interview for a first grade position via Google Meet. The secretary said it will be 6 people and one question.

What do you think that one question will be? I figure they must be looking for a specific answer if they’re going to whittle it down with one question.

Please help!
TIA

lovemyjob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote

2000Aggie

Interview question
Old 06-08-2020, 09:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Why are you the best candidate for this job?

Or

How did you handle distance learning?
2000Aggie is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-08-2020, 09:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

IDK, but now I am very curious so please post what it was!

My thoughts are either it's something very important to them or it's something broad that they feel they'll get a lot of info on. On the "broad" side maybe something like describing strengths and weaknesses or "choose 5 words to describe yourself and explain why." If it's something that's just super important to them it could be anything. I'd scour the website and see if you can get any specific info about things they value. Typically websites and mission statements and such are so broad that it's hard to tell, but it's worth a shot.

It's also odd to me that they'd gather 6 people for a 1 question screening interview, even via google meets. I've never done a screening interview with more than 1 person. In my current district, I had to call a number and record my answers on the phone- it wasn't even a person! Good luck!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-08-2020, 11:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

That is very odd! I agree with the suggestions that have been offered. You're sure she said one question? I also think that it will likely be a broad, general question. I wonder if they have a ton of applicants and they are trying to whittle it down to a more reasonable amount. I also wonder if remote learning will be the question. I'd look up the school and see if the school is known for anything (or is planning to do remote learning in the fall!) that they may ask you about. And I'd definitely be prepared to answer why you'd be a good fit for the school, just in case. That might be a question I would ask if I just had one question for a screening interview.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes (and what they ask!!)
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

Good suggestions, above
Old 06-09-2020, 02:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I'd look up the school on line to get whatever information is available:
their website, the district website, the state department of education websites. That will hopefully give you some information about their goals, their test scores, who attends, where their needs lie.

Do they need to increase reading scores? math scores? Are there many English Language Learners in attendance? How can you help meet their needs?

Do some reading about their reading and math programs if they are listed. Publisher's websites are very helpful at least for generalities and catch phrases.

broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

6 people
Old 06-09-2020, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have no idea about the question, but I have something else to point out. When you say that there are 6 people, does that mean 6 people on the interview team will be there or 6 candidates will be interviewed at once?

I ask because the district where I went to college did group interviews. They brought in 6-10 candidates at a time for an interview and asked each candidate the same questions. I never interviewed in this district, but the superintendent came in several times during my time in the program and talked about job search advice. He said that in their district, when they interview 6-10 candidates at a time, they are more interested in how the candidate interacts with the other candidates even more so than the answers. He said he likes it when candidates would reference another candidate by name and build off or agree with their response. He said how they handled interacting with "competition" really let him see their professionalism, but also helped see who stood out.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-09-2020, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
He said that in their district, when they interview 6-10 candidates at a time, they are more interested in how the candidate interacts with the other candidates even more so than the answers. He said he likes it when candidates would reference another candidate by name and build off or agree with their response. He said how they handled interacting with "competition" really let him see their professionalism, but also helped see who stood out.
That is very interesting. Last time I was seriously job hunting, which is when I was looking for my current job 7 years ago, I ran into a district that did interviews sort of like this. They joked that it was like "speed dating." They brought in like 50 people at once, put us in groups of 3ish, and then had us to rotate around to different staff tables where we'd answer a question at each table. Then they'd choose like 5 people to move on.

I tried it I think 3-4 times and never got picked to move on. The questions were the same at each school and I'd really thought out/perfected my answers the best I could, so I figured it was a waste of time to keep applying there. Maybe it was because I didn't interact with the other candidates in front of the interviewers/maybe this is what they were looking for. I mean, it's not like I didn't acknowledge them but I would never think to build off another candidate's answer. I'd feel like I was "stealing." I never saw anyone do that either!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

In this district
Old 06-09-2020, 07:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

In this district, all the candidates being interviewed and the interview team all sat at a table and they asked questions. They'd start with one person and then go around the room and have each person answer. The next question, they started with another person. They just rotated who they started with each time.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

lovemyjob7777

Old 06-10-2020, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

So I had all your basic, broad questions prepared and ready to go - philosophy, tell about yourself, why hire you, what makes a great lesson, what does, your classroom look like, engaging students, classroom management, my distance learning, and they asked what the hardest standard to teach is and how do I overcome it? Not prepared for that. I hope that didn’t want me to specifically name a standard. I kinda panicked and talked about engineering and getting 4 and 5 year olds to create something and think outside the box. Don’t know if that was appropriate. They said I’d picked, they’ll let me know this week and do second interview next week.
lovemyjob7777 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 06-11-2020, 11:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Wow, that was an unexpected question!! I hope you get picked for the next interview! Fingers crossed for you!

Thanks for letting us know what it ended up being.

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote