Help

Career Decisions

Should I take any position?

>

sterlingsun

Should I take any position?
Old 06-09-2020, 07:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Currently applying to schools. I have had 4 rejections so far and I am waiting to hear back either way from another school. I also have two more interviews coming up this week. I'm SPED certified and my background is ES/LS. One of the interviews this week is for a ASD position. Though I'm qualified to teach in an ASD setting, it isn't really my background.

Things in my area are getting a little concerning. I know that there is still time and many school districts typically hire closer to the start of the school year, but this year is obviously different. Many districts have announced a hiring freeze as well as pay freeze. I'm casting a wide net into several different counties no more than an hour from me.

Would you take any position next year assuming you're qualified, but don't have the experience?

sterlingsun is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-09-2020, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

If I needed to work, and it was a jb I think I could do, I would take the job. If I thought it was more than I could handle, I probably wouldn't take it because I would not want to fail. I personally could not teach middle school, so that would be a job I wouldn't take.

I hope one of your interviews come through. This would be a tough time to be looking as a newer teacher.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-09-2020, 10:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

There are some jobs that I wouldn't take. I graduated during the brunt of the 2008 recession. There were thousands of teachers applying for each job. I was certified in both sped and gen ed but 90% of my college program was focused on gen ed. I kept getting interviews/offers for self contained emotional disturbance units. Many were sneaky about it- for example, in one I applied for a mild/moderate position and when I showed up, they told me that position had been filled but they thought they'd do the interviews anyway because they had this other position open. I needed a job, but not that one. I have all of the respect in the world for teachers who teach in those rooms- I would not do it for a million dollars a year.

I knew I was likely not going to get hired in my home state and was willing to compromise significantly on location- there were only a few states in the US I wasn't willing to go to. I also felt more comfortable in gen ed but was open to mild/moderate sped positions at the elementary level. I felt like I was making enough concessions already and did not want to sign up for a job I was sure I wasn't ready for or really did not want. I ended up getting a job across the country. Everyone I graduated with either did the same or took hard to fill jobs we didn't have much preparation for, such as sped positions in severe/profound needs rooms.

I personally would not take an ASD position. That doesn't mean it isn't right for you. We added an ASD program to my school this year. It's "level 2" and the students are mostly self-contained. It is a whole lot of tantrumming all day long. I have to be honest and say the constant noise bothers me and I know I could never be in the position of being the teacher in that classroom.

The teacher has several paras to manage within the classroom. She has all of the kids on a schedule where they do 10 minutes of work and then 10 minutes of a preferred activity, all day long. Most of the kids can be violent when upset and the teacher often has to use restraint holds. I'm personally very uncomfortable with that. My P does not tolerate violence against teachers, even within this classroom and is very supportive of the teacher. I think 99% of admins would not be the same- they would say, "This is what you signed up for." Our teacher was certainly shocked when she got that response from admin as she'd never heard that in her other buildings.

The positive side that I see is that this teacher is way "under the radar" as far as certain pressures go. She doesn't have to worry about academic data or state testing. A lot of the time she gets out of the PD we have to do. She doesn't have to do things like data teams, PLC, lesson plans,etc. I personally wouldn't trade those perks for what she has to deal with all day, but that's just me. It is also common in self-contained rooms to not get a lunch or planning time. That's something I'd ask about in the interview if it were me. My P found out this teacher wasn't taking a lunch and made her work out a schedule with the paras where she gets 30 minutes per day- again, lots of admins would not be the same.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

sterlingsun

Thank you!
Old 06-10-2020, 12:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you so much for your reply! I share similar sentiments about taking an ASD position. If I were to accept one, I think that I would only last a year before requesting to transfer. Honestly deep down I know I won't be thrilled the position. I'm really hoping the school I have yet to hear from will offer me something as it was an ES position. BF and I have been talking about moving out of state as an option. Originally leaving my current position was because of BF's job and being closer to that, but we just found out that he is permanently laid off so moving out of state is back on the table as an option. I did just find 4 openings at school districts for ES or Learning Support, so I went an applied for those.

That is super sneaky of admin! I would hate to have my time wasted like that. I'm not sure I can do ASD or not, but hopefully it won't come to that!
sterlingsun is online now   Reply With Quote