Help

The Job Search

Losing hope of finding a job

>

MorgNeedsHelp

Losing hope of finding a job
Old 06-11-2020, 09:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I don’t know if this fits more under this category or vent but I’m putting it here.

I’ve been graduated for 3 years in December and still have not found a place where I’m at more than a year. My first year I was pink slipped they said because of classroom management which they also said was common for first years. That and I was hired as a high school geometry teacher when I went to school for middle school math. I wasn’t comfortable with high school at the time but now I think I could do it.

Then this past year I went to a private catholic school where I was told after accepting that I would be teaching all subjects even though I was only certified for math and social studies. I struggled with that and having a class of 25 all day with no rotation and not knowing how to manage a class all day like that. They let me go at Christmas saying I did not win over enough parents, but every parent I talked to was very upset that I was fired so I’m not sure what happened there.

Now I’m applying for jobs at all the surrounding schools but haven’t been called for an interview. I know they’re interviewing because I’ve seen on the page where I went to school where they announced their new hires. And other positions are disappearing on the employment website.

I also subbed during the spring semester in the school system I went to. We all know subs are treated harsh by some classes and I had my share of good and bad just like any other sub. However, I think that is being held against me.

I was told that I couldn’t control a class but so far I haven’t been in a classroom that I have a degree in. And I feel like now schools are looking me over because of these jobs. I’m losing hope of finding a job in the surround counties and I won’t move away from my hometown to leave my dad alone. And I’m too connected to my family to ever leave. I’m starting to think teaching isn’t for me and I made a horrible decision. I don’t know what else to do because no one seems to want to give me a chance.

MorgNeedsHelp is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherBae

Old 06-12-2020, 03:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I believe that you may benefit from not only co-teaching but also mentoring from an experienced teacher, for a year or two. It may be a humbling experience, but I believe that it will help in the long run.

Also, check out the "Teach Like a Champ" and "ENVoY" books. They may help.

You've got this!
TeacherBae is offline   Reply With Quote

jen1114

donít give up
Old 06-18-2020, 02:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Itís still early in the summer so donít give up yet! If something doesnít open up for you Iíd consider an assistant position. Thatís a good step in the door.
jen1114 is offline   Reply With Quote