Help

The VENT

zoom meeting no shows

>

sonoma

zoom meeting no shows
Old 06-17-2020, 10:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I do one on one tutoring on zoom. Parents request and schedule their own times. I constantly have parents forget about their meeting or show up late.

How long would you wait for a parent to show up for a meeting. I have been waiting 15 minutes but I'm thinking that is too generous.

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

JDprek

Old 06-17-2020, 10:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm a psychotherapist and doing sessions via telehealth. Most of my clients have standing appointments with me that has been their weekly time for months. Many no show and later reach out with "Opps, lost track".

I wait 15 minutes per my agency's policy and then I have to attempt to contact them. I would prefer a 10-minute window and not to reach out (I hate chasing people) but it's not up to me. I think 10 would be fine and in your case, because it sounds like your self employed I would charge a no show fee. I only get paid by the session so if my schedule has 8 sessions on it for the day but only 4 show I only get paid for 4. I wish I could charge a no show fee.
JDprek is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 06-17-2020, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I wait 15 minutes too. If it's someone who is usually on time, I might send a pm or an email after about 5 - 10 minutes. Sometimes they are having computer problems.

I have one client who is horrible about showing up, so I send a message that morning. I was relieved that he's taking the summer off.

Unfortunately, I think that since so many dentists, doctors, etc., send a reminder notice that people are beginning to expect it from us as well even if it is a standing appointment.
Song of Joy is online now   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 06-17-2020, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Since it's Zoom, I would probably leave it running the whole time and if they show up charge for the whole session but only tutor until the scheduled end time. You can be doing other things while waiting. That's how I conducted parent conferences this spring.

You could also charge for no shows.

Most classes I take charge if you don't cancel 24hours in advance.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

WestCoastTch

No-shows
Old 06-17-2020, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The students I had the most luck with showing up for my scheduled Zoom meetings had parents with the Class Dojo app that sent them reminder alerts. You could do this with Remind or Google Calendar.

I set up Google Alerts for my own children.

WestCoastTch is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

I sent reminders.
Old 06-17-2020, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

The morning of their scheduled zoom meeting I sent an email with the link as a reminder. I had very few no shows and the few who missed apologized and I rescheduled. But this was part of their eLearning with me.
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Ugh
Old 06-17-2020, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I would wait 15 minutes. I hope you are charging them for tutoring when they don't show up. People should give you at least 24 hours notice.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-17-2020, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I tutored via zoom this spring. One student hardly ever showed up (thankfully this was through school, so I got paid for the time whether she showed up or not). I just left the zoom up/running and went about my business. I made sure to have the settings to where it plays the enter/exit chime and to have the waiting room set up, so I would know if she suddenly showed up late.
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 06-17-2020, 08:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have zero experience with Zoom, but what about a text reminder and hour or two before? Maybe you would have fewer late or no shows. Kind of a pain, but maybe worth it.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 06-19-2020, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't know if you use Remind or not but if you did, you can schedule the reminders ahead of time, so you don't have to send them everyday. If Johnny has a standing tutoring session at 10:30am every Friday for the next 4 weeks, you can schedule all the reminders for that now. Or, if you have multiple students on different days & times, you can schedule this week's reminders all on Sunday, let's say, and continue to schedule the reminders week by week for all your tutoring students.

VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

Dzani

Billable
Old 06-29-2020, 04:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

During the school year bc (before corona), i worked with homebound students. The minimum billable time is half an hour, so I was told to wait that long and then bill (the district) for it. If you're being paid for tutoring, I'd say find out your district's policy and go by that. Enough no shows, and they'll come down on the parents for you.
Dzani is offline   Reply With Quote